PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Plane landing at LAX with twisted front wheel (8:45 EST

AZK
09-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Anyone else watching this on the news, my parents are obsessing by the tv waiting to see what happens when this thing lands.

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 08:49 PM
The news here had a pilot on phone who said that they cannot dump fuel on this type of aircraft, so they are flying around to burn it...

Could be a while till they attempt a landing.

shant
09-21-2005, 08:50 PM
You can watch it live on www.cbs2.com (http://www.cbs2.com) for those of you not in LA.

JihadOnTheRiver
09-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, its sickening. I hope they turn the camera's off when they land. This is exactly what will happen...

1. They will foam the runway with something similar to AFFF (google it).

2. They will execute a flared landing to get as slow as possible before the nose gear touches down.

3. The nose wheel will snap.

4. Ideally, the jet will merely skid to a stop.

5. 16 people on the flight will sh.it themselves. 25 more will piss.

6. There will be zero injuries.

Now, that being said, if ONE single thing goes wrong, the jet could become a giant fireball. If that happens, I really hope that all the networks aren't showing it. If they do, I hope my favorite Republican (God) gives them every VD available.

-JOTR

09-21-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can watch it live on www.cbs2.com (http://www.cbs2.com) for those of you not in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, its sickening. I hope they turn the camera's off when they land. This is exactly what will happen...

1. They will foam the runway with something similar to AFFF (google it).

2. They will execute a flared landing to get as slow as possible before the nose gear touches down.

3. The nose wheel will snap.

4. Ideally, the jet will merely skid to a stop.

5. 16 people on the flight will sh.it themselves. 25 more will piss.

6. There will be zero injuries.

Now, that being said, if ONE single thing goes wrong, the jet could become a giant fireball. If that happens, I really hope that all the networks aren't showing it. If they do, I hope my favorite Republican (God) gives them every VD available.

-JOTR

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they foam runways anymore, they are able to stand by on the runway and respond within seconds.

Broken Glass Can
09-21-2005, 08:55 PM
I blame Bush.

battschr
09-21-2005, 08:55 PM
If this were the politics forum, I would probably say something like, "yeah, it makes sense that God is a republican, since he does so many shitty things to so many people." But it's not, so I won't.

billyjex
09-21-2005, 08:57 PM
god it must suck to be on that plane right now. scary [censored].

2+2 wannabe
09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I blame Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nh

JaBlue
09-21-2005, 09:03 PM
this sounds like a great opportunity for a prop bet

Cumulonimbus
09-21-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes ya really appreciate dual monitors... live plane crash on one, 4 tables on the other. Ahhh. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MelchyBeau
09-21-2005, 09:08 PM
In other news
Jet fakes emergency so Gambian fans can watch soccer team play in Peru (http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2005/09/21/1229462-ap.html)

Los Feliz Slim
09-21-2005, 09:10 PM
A plane expert came on Channel 7 in LA to say this is getting totally blown out of proportion and is totally not a big deal. The anchors were like "Yeah, try telling that to the passengers on the plane."

Flying in circles for two and a half hours while vividly imagining your own imminent demise must not be the most fun thing ever.

The most anti-climactic way for this to end is for the landing gear to swivel into position upon landing, which is what I'm hoping and predicting will happen.

JihadOnTheRiver
09-21-2005, 09:12 PM
They still foam runways. I think they will foam this one. But its not 100%. If they have foam trucks there, they will use them.

Go Giants,
-JOTR

shant
09-21-2005, 09:15 PM
They said they won't foam the runway, but they have a foam truck there ready to foam the plane when it lands. It's approaching now.

09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
this is crazy. Poker no BIG deal. This is

crosse91
09-21-2005, 09:20 PM
that was impressive. good job.

jba
NICE AIRBUS!!

touchfaith
gg pilot

Los Feliz Slim
09-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Holy crap. If I was on the plane I would be needed a fresh set of undies. That pilot has 150 new best friends today.

astroglide
09-21-2005, 09:21 PM
this should still be somewhere on cnn's front page, right?

the newsfeed is excellent. good audio, good video, no clipping. easily the best 'click here to watch tv!' experience i've ever had, everything else has 80 media detection steps, shows commercials, and then proceeds to [censored] up.

EXCELLENT landing by that dude btw, just watched it 10 seconds ago. jetblue's supposed to be a great company, i imagine he'll get a bonus in addition to his tv time and the unending gratitude of the passengers. i don't care how easy or hard the procedure technically is, that guy is the man today. gi joe.

09-21-2005, 09:22 PM
wow [censored] ya

shant
He nailed it.

jba
[ QUOTE ]
EXCELLENT landing by that dude btw

[/ QUOTE ]

this man needs a scotch and a blowjob like two minutes ago

09-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Do you observe the "no cellphones in flight" rule after being told that you're going to crash land here?

oddjob
09-21-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this should still be somewhere on cnn's front page, right?

the newsfeed is excellent. good audio, good video, no clipping. easily the best 'click here to watch tv!' experience i've ever had, everything else has 80 media detection steps, shows commercials, and then proceeds to [censored] up.

EXCELLENT landing by that dude btw, just watched it 10 seconds ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, not even on the plane, and i want to buy that pilot a much earned drink.

he should get a few weeks off, and a blow job or 10 as well, and a big fat bonus, he just saved his company tons of $$$ and the reputation of the entire company.

09-21-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you observe the "no cellphones in flight" rule after being told that you're going to crash land here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No

astroglide
09-21-2005, 09:29 PM
there are like 150 people in that thing that might be happier right now than i'll ever be in my life. it will be cool if we get to see some of them exiting and cheering.

09-21-2005, 09:31 PM
I dont know why but i am very happy now

MrTrik
09-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Yep a blowjob and a drink ... don't forget the drink honey!

SL__72
09-21-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EXCELLENT landing by that dude btw

[/ QUOTE ]

this man needs a scotch and a blowjob like two minutes ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that was amazing

wonderwes
09-21-2005, 09:56 PM
That was a well done landing. No harm, no foul.

jacki
09-21-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this sounds like a great opportunity for a prop bet

[/ QUOTE ]

A good prop bet would have been to set an over/under on number of times the landing is replayed.

It's got to be over 50 on MSNBC by now.

Dynasty
09-21-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gg pilot

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw some of this while the plane was still in the air. I had no doubt the plane would make a clean landing. Most pilots are extemely good.

lucas9000
09-21-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know why but i am very happy now

[/ QUOTE ]

because you're a decent person...?

DasLeben
09-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Damn, excellent landing. He didn't stray from centerline a bit, although he ended up down near the aiming point markers for runway 7R. That's a looong way down. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Awesome landing, glad everything worked out ok.

tonypaladino
09-22-2005, 01:00 AM
That was really crazy.

Unless the Pilot shut down the Direct TV system, all the passangers would have been able to watch the whole thing on Fox News. I wonder if they did?? It would suck to be circling for 3 hours with TVs that don't work

TimTimSalabim
09-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Yes, they did, pretty freaky...

[ QUOTE ]
PASSENGERS WATCHED TV

The travelers later recounted fraught hours they spent watching their own predicament unfold on television screens built into the back of each seat, a feature offered through DirecTV on JetBlue flights.

"The thing that scared me the most was watching it on television," said passenger Zachary Mastoon, 27, a New York guitarist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050922/ts_nm/airlines_jetblue_dc)

touchfaith
09-22-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they did, pretty freaky...

[ QUOTE ]
PASSENGERS WATCHED TV

The travelers later recounted fraught hours they spent watching their own predicament unfold on television screens built into the back of each seat, a feature offered through DirecTV on JetBlue flights.

"The thing that scared me the most was watching it on television," said passenger Zachary Mastoon, 27, a New York guitarist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050922/ts_nm/airlines_jetblue_dc)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's crazy.

Would any of you watch if in that position? I think I'd be glued to it for information.

send_the_msg
09-22-2005, 03:28 AM
i can GUARANTEE you that those people, especially the pilot are getting book deals.

sfer
09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That was really crazy.

Unless the Pilot shut down the Direct TV system, all the passangers would have been able to watch the whole thing on Fox News. I wonder if they did?? It would suck to be circling for 3 hours with TVs that don't work

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about that Moebius strip of reality just blew my mind.

Has anyone been on a plane with any sort of problem? I used to fly a lot and thought about it a fair amount, but I've never experienced it (aside from having to fly, no joke, the day after basically every air disaster in the late 90s).

mslif
09-22-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That was really crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about that Moebius strip of reality just blew my mind.

Has anyone been on a plane with any sort of problem? I used to fly a lot and thought about it a fair amount, but I've never experienced it (aside from having to fly, no joke, the day after basically every air disaster in the late 90s).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the closest I got was while I was on board a flight from France to Guadeloupe. It was one of those huge planes with the upper deck. We were about to take off, the plane is accelerating down the runway and all the sudden the pilot just applied major breaks and all of us on the cabin were launched forward. I was scared to death and hit my head on the seat in front of me /images/graemlins/frown.gif. We came to a complete stop on the runway. The pilot made an announcement that a piece of metal from the wing fell off!!!! /images/graemlins/confused.gif
We taxied back to the concourse and boarded a different plane about 2 1/2 hours later.

sfer
09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
PDEs? That's a pretty esoteric subject.

mslif
09-22-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

understanding the stability analysis of a system of partial differential equations is essential to be able to explain the mobility patterns of bacteria, diffusion... (It is part of my thesis)

Los Feliz Slim
09-22-2005, 11:19 AM
On my way back from Boston to LA after the Sox won the World Series, we sucked a bird through an engine on takeoff. People near the right wing saw flames shoot out of the engine and heard a loud bang and the plane filled with an electrical/avian burning smell. A flight attendant decided the engine didn't "sound right" (she was in her 40's and had been doing this for 20 years). After about 45 minutes of uncertainty the pilot actually came out of the cabin and sat next to a window near the right engine to look at and listen to it. Obviously didn't turn out to be a big deal, but a bunch of people were really scared, including the flight attendant, which I've never seen before or since. The final word from the pilot was that the engine was performing "within tolerances" and we'd proceed to LA and keep a close eye on the engine.

sfer
09-22-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

understanding the stability analysis of a system of partial differential equations is essential to be able to explain the mobility patterns of bacteria, diffusion... (It is part of my thesis)

[/ QUOTE ]

Diffusion processes are also used to model the price fluctations of just about every financial asset.

touchfaith
09-22-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diffusion processes are also used to model the price fluctations of just about every financial asset.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought she was making alcohol. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Marlow
09-22-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I blame Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot. Yes, I realize you're being sarcastic.

Marlow

mslif
09-22-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very interesting. I use diffusion processes in molecular biology to understand trajectories and concentration fluctuations.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nomination for most esoteric 00T thread hijack ever. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cokehead
09-22-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

About 10 years ago I was on a flight that experienced almost this exact same thing. When we were going to land, they couldn't tell if the front landing gear was locked down. we circled for hours, went to an airport with a longer runway, and then we had to make a 'emergency landing' with all the foam trucks etc. The landing gear ended up not collapsing so everything was fine. definitely did not make the news like this.

DasLeben
09-22-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only mechanical problem I've had with an aircraft was landing gear related as well. I put down the gear handle and didn't get the "three green" gear down and locked indication like normal. Also, you could normally hear the gear extending in the type of aircraft I was flying. There wasn't a sound.

So, me and the other pilot circled around the airport for a little while trying to fix the problem, and tower verified that our gear were, in fact, up. We finally were able to manually extend the gear and land uneventfully.