PDA

View Full Version : Pay no mind to the distant thunder...

Tyler Durden
05-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Home game, PINK GAME.

I'm on the button with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif. Two or three limpers to me, I limp. This is what I call a limpdick fest. BB checks. Hot 5-way action.

Flop is T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif. Nice flop, I'm driving to the nuts. The BB fires out a bet, folded to the guy on my immediate right who raises (he's a loose aggressive player, for purposes of discussion let's call him L.A.G.). I call two cold, the BB 3-bets it, the LAG caps it, I coldcall again. Wooboy! This better come through!

Turn is 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. Ugly. Ugly. Uglier than Linda Tripp! And someone may have Tripps now! Oh yea, back to the hand...The BB checks, LAG bets, I call, BB calls.

River is K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif.

Thank you very much sir, I'll just take this pot and even out my stacks and everything fill be fun and nice and happy!
Just like I thought the action goes: BB checks, LAG chec..what??? he's betting anyway?? yikes! nooooooooo. elysium can you help me here?

so now it's decision time for Tyler Durden.
I recreate all the action. The LAG showed major aggression every chance he got: raised and capped the flop, bet the turn, bet the river when my draw came through. I HATE DRAWING DEAD. Others like doing it, but not me.

Anyway, what's my action? thanks much.

34TheTruth34
05-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Turn is 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif. Ugly. Ugly. Uglier than Linda Tripp!

Now let's not get carried away here. The dealer could have put up a joker that everyone but you could use and the card still wouldn't be uglier than Linda Tripp!

Anyway, the point is that I think you have an easy call on the river here. I expect your hand to be good as much as half of the time. I don't know why he didn't realize you were on a flush draw and then try to check-raise you on the river. You would have had to bet, and it seems to me that, given the way you played the hand, that's the most logical hand for you to have. Of couse, since I knew what your cards were, that's easy for me to say. Just call, don't raise. Hope you won...

Bob T.
05-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Call, and hope for overcallers. There are still players left in the pot, and 1 big bet from them will be worth the same as 1 big bet from the bettor, and you won't be risking a three bet from a full house, if you just call here.

Tyler Durden
05-09-2003, 01:59 PM
As an alternate flop play, what do people think of 3-betting it instead of calling the two bets cold? That way they can't really put me on the flush draw and I can use my position to check behind on the turn and get a free look. Is this a good play? A bad play? A good way to vary my play? Obviously, I think I played the hand in a very straightforward manner.

Nottom
05-09-2003, 04:41 PM
I think its a fine play in this situation. The only problem I have is that it may force out the initial better, but since there were no callers between him and the raiser its not a huge loss if you do.

Bob T.
05-09-2003, 04:56 PM
I think it will usually be a tradeoff. If you call, and let them in cheaper behind you, you get better odds, if you threebet, you might get some control over the hand, but you also might not get as good of odds on this street, if you eliminate players. As it turns out, probably everyone in this pot, is putting in four bets on the flop anyway, so it didn't matter here.