PDA

View Full Version : Question for Teachers

imported_CaseClosed326
09-21-2005, 08:19 PM
I am currently is college trying to become a history teacher, during my last session with my advisor he told me something that was pretty confusing. He said something along the lines of 'you have to teach only to the upper portion and middle portion of your class, don't worry yourself about the bottom section of kids, there is nothing you can do. Do that and you will be able to get by as a teacher.'

Ok, so anyone here who teaches, can you tell me if this is how it really is? When I get a job will I have to just give up on a section on my class? This seems like giving up or am I just being naive?

Dynasty
09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
That sounds like the practical kind of advice you wouldn't get at school but would get at work instead.

imported_CaseClosed326
09-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Overall he is a very good and very smart advisor. He does not bullshit at all. Which is very good.

Homer
09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am currently is college trying to become a history teacher, during my last session with my advisor he told me something that was pretty confusing. He said something along the lines of 'you have to teach only to the upper portion and middle portion of your class, don't worry yourself about the bottom section of kids, there is nothing you can do. Do that and you will be able to get by as a teacher.'

Ok, so anyone here who teaches, can you tell me if this is how it really is? When I get a job will I have to just give up on a section on my class? This seems like giving up or am I just being naive?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a sense he is correct, though 'getting by' as a teacher is not as simple as following that one little piece of advice. When I lecture, I move at a fast pace, trying to bring the kids up to my level rather than teaching down to them. I am bothered by teachers that spoon-feed kids and don't have them strugging at all or doing any thinking. Anyway, obviously those that fall behind need to make arrangements to catch up on their own time. That doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about the bottom section of kids, though. After I'm done doing my thing and they are practicing, I'll work with the slower kids one-on-one. Plus, you can help set them up with after-school programs, tutors, whatever. I dunno -- I don't have any formal training, so I just go by common sense, which surprisingly a lot of teachers seem to lack.

-- Homer

Godfather80
09-21-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, this is good advice. I've been teaching for 3.5 years, albeit at a private school, and this is the best way to teach overall.
Look at it this way: the top third of the class will always learn and work for you because that is just what the top third of any class is going to do. The bottom third will always slack off because that is what the bottom third is going to do. But, the battle is won and lost over the middle third of any class. If you can inspire the middle third to do well and possible move into the top third's territory, then you may get a kind of sea change where some of the bottom third move into the middle third's vacated position. If you can do this, you've done an excellent job.

This is just my opinion, and I am by no measure a master teacher. But, I have seen this strategy work for several years. It sounds like you have a good advisor.

Stay idealistic in your heart, but also be practical with what you are able to do for kids who you see for only a few hours a week.

Homer
09-21-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Overall he is a very good and very smart advisor. He does not bullshit at all. Which is very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good. I get the feeling he is disgruntled to some extent and lacks faith in kids. It sounds like he just wants you to completely ignore the kids who are falling behind. Of course, you would know if that is true better than I would, so there's really no point in me even mentioning it.

imported_CaseClosed326
09-21-2005, 08:43 PM
I don't know if he is disgruntled, he just is very honest. I could be wrong though.