PDA

View Full Version : Reducing variance in STTs

09-21-2005, 06:35 PM
In an effort to reduce my bankroll variance, I have recently been playing 6-handed STTs. I find that I get into the money fairly easily. The payouts are lower, but so far finishing ITM is going well.
Since I am just getting started in this I haven't tried many sites. I looked at Emipre (party skin where most people here seem to play) and noticed they don't have any 6 handed STTs.
Questions:
1. Has anyone else tried 6 handed STTs? If you are profitable with it, what is your long term ITM %?

2. What sites do you know of that offer 6 handed STTs? What stakes? buyin + rake?

Max

09-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Sorry I can't offer my own experiencs here, but I think logic would dictate that there would be more variance in smaller SNGs, because the particular cards that you and your opponent get in each hand become more important, and therefore your skill at strategic maneuvering becomes less important and the fight turns into short-term nuclear warfare.

Maybe you are doing better in them because you have abilities that help u to excel short-handed, or perhaps you have just been playing a looser game (as you should) and have gone on a hot streak.. which again is more likely when you are 6-handed.

I hope some ppl with major SNG records post more information for you, for I would like to know more about this my self.

Good luck!

bawcerelli
09-21-2005, 06:57 PM
my gut says variance will be the same whether starting 10 handed or 6 handed.

09-21-2005, 07:12 PM
In 10 handed you have to finish in the top 3. The 6 handed tourney's I have been playing also pay the top 3. Since it seems SNGs are about survival to finish in the money, you will have an easier time waiting for three people to go out than 7 since you can expect the percentage of bad players to be about the same. As you add players variance goes up. Or rather as you pay out fewer percentage of positions variance goes up. This is why you would have more variance at 20 handed MTT that only pays top 5.
I am trying to find the ideal scenario under which to play STTs. Right now my 6 handed STTs seem to be a good fit because they pay out 50% of positions. HU pays out 50% of positions, but since its just two players I have to take on all the risk associated with knocking someone out. Where as in my 50% payout 6 handed, I can let others take on that risk while I "tight play" my way into the money.
I guess I am figuring out that adding players lowers variance, as long as the percentage of positions paying out is the same. If 10 handed paid out 5 spots instead of 3, then it should be lower variance than the 6 handed.
Now I just need you guys to tell me where I can find the most handed STT with 50% or higher postion payout structure.

Max

splashpot
09-21-2005, 07:14 PM
What site has 6 player SNGs that pay 3 places? What is the payout structure?

bawcerelli
09-21-2005, 07:17 PM
i thought 6 handed tourneys pay only the top two spots? what is the payout percentage? still 50 30 20?

09-21-2005, 07:21 PM
I have been playing at pacific poker. For a 6 handed STT they pay out 150, 90, 60 for a 50+3 buyin.
Yeah, I know you don't make much for a 3rd, but I don't like downswings, so I am willing to live with it. If you want to join Pacific Poker, let me know so I can refer you and we'll get bonuses.
They have a 5 handed game that pays 1st and 2nd, which would be 40% of the positions, still better than 10 handed.
Max

splashpot
09-21-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to join Pacific Poker, let me know so I can refer you and we'll get bonuses

[/ QUOTE ]
Just so you know, you're not allowed to advertise for referals on these forums.

chadplusplus
09-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Yup, i used to play these too. I swear at the lowest buyin tables you could buyin, fall asleep and make money. They were amazing. It was about 2 years ago though - back in the good ol' days.

09-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Has the play online improved in the last two years? I would think people would be worse, since poker has become more popular??

raptor517
09-22-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has the play online improved in the last two years? I would think people would be worse, since poker has become more popular??

[/ QUOTE ]

are u kidding? the 215s a year ago were like the 55s now. holla

EricW
09-22-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not good news.

ilikeaces
09-22-2005, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had played them a year ago.... **drools**