PDA

View Full Version : The Basics of One-Table Tournaments

09-21-2005, 05:41 PM
I've been a lurker since about the start of summer around Two Plus Two, and have, at least what I think, is a general strategy summary regarding different stages of a tournament. I'd appreciate any feedback/comments/flaming/corrections in my post.

Early/middle stages: Call, in late position, with mid- and high-suited connectors, and small pocket pairs for set value (89s, 66). Avoid ugly Broadway cards with middle/bad kickers (A8, K10). Always raise with premium hands (99+, AQs+). Don't bet draws against more than one opponent.

Bubble play: Mix it up. Push any small edges. Don't wait for big hands, as you'll have less folding equity. Use first in vigor, espcially in late position. Loosen up starting requirements.

I feel like I've got a good picture, but am still missing some stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

KingDan
09-21-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bubble play: Mix it up. Push any small edges. Don't wait for big hands, as you'll have less folding equity. Use first in vigor, espcially in late position. Loosen up starting requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bubble play is a lot more complicated than just pushing small edges.
At times it is inccorect for you to call even being a 2-1 favorite to win the hand.

A piece of advice: when the blinds get high HU, push a lot.

Edit: probably a much better piece of of advice is to not call all-ins with Aces. When I started out in Stts I really overvalued them.

09-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Not call all-ins with aces? I assume you mean after the flop and you hit a pair of aces, not preflop pocket aces, corect?

KingDan
09-21-2005, 05:59 PM
I meant a hand like a6o.

09-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Lol, I'm glad he made that distinction. "Aces" are really different from "Ace-Rag".

valenzuela
09-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Youre probably missing experience. Just my guess.

caretaker1
09-21-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

At times it is inccorect for you to call even being a 2-1 favorite to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doubting you, but could you provide a concrete example of this? I find the possibility interesting.

Thank you.

09-21-2005, 08:33 PM
BB 3250
SB 3250
UTG 250
UTG+1 250

SB goes all-in and you are the BB...what do you call with?

09-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Pick up Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1.

It will be the best time/money u have ever spent.

This post is excellent reading too (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=191 8735&Forum=)

09-21-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pick up Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1.

It will be the best time/money u have ever spent.

This post is excellent reading too (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=191 8735&Forum=)

[/ QUOTE ]
After you read Volume I, go ahead and read Volume II

Nicholasp27
09-22-2005, 01:17 PM
aa/kk

EnderFFX
09-22-2005, 01:30 PM
1) No there is actually a time when not calling with Aces is correct. (but it is extremely rare) Lets say there are 4 people left.

Player A has 2599 chips.
Player B has 2599 chips.
Player C has 2599 chips.
You have 203 chips and are in the BB

The blinds are 100-200

Player A, B, and C all push in before you. You look down and see AA. What is your best move? You have 3 chips left and are getting absolutely amazing odds to call. However, if you get beaten by any of the three players you will come in 4th and not place. If you call and win you will have 800 chips compared to the next guy who will have 7200

If you don't enter the hand odds are one player is going to eliminate the other two and leave you 2nd in chips (7,997 to 3)

2) Another example of when it may be correct to fold AA is just the opposite situation. You have 5000 in chips, player B has 1350 in chips, player C has 1350 in chips, player D has 300 in chips. The blinds are again 100/200. You are in the Big blind the small stack is in the little blind. B and C fold, and player D raises all in. You look down and see AA.

Folding leaves the small stack alive, and gives you the opportunity to steal from B & C. Odds are B & C are going to try and hang around to get into the money. The small stack may take some chances to get his chips into a fighting position. You can take advantage of B & C's defensive posture, by keeping the small stack alive and raise B & C constantly. Eventually you will get all three stacks down to small even stacks, and it will be a matter of time before you take them out.

Slim Pickens
09-22-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2) Another example of when it may be correct to fold AA is just the opposite situation. You have 5000 in chips, player B has 1350 in chips, player C has 1350 in chips, player D has 300 in chips. The blinds are again 100/200. You are in the Big blind the small stack is in the little blind. B and C fold, and player D raises all in. You look down and see AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call FPS on this one. Didn't you read the FAQ about folding AA? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nuclear500
09-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't consider 99 a premium - but I'd consider it definately worth calling a raise or opening with a raise.

If you feel you're still "missing" something, you need to cite some examples for people to comment on.

Knowing how to play good poker and executing are two drastically different things. I know I should be raising more in position without the cards, but I just can't make myself do it with hands like T8s until its ITM and/or I have a stack to bully with.

Nicholasp27
09-22-2005, 03:05 PM
if you are around 5bbs and in sb/button, t8s is a good hand to push

7.5bbs is the cutoff where the blinds are worth 20% of your stack...at that point, pushing any decent hand if first in is +ev..."decent hand" is defined more loosely the closer u get to sb