PDA

View Full Version : Architecture in Helsinki

TylerD
09-21-2005, 04:43 PM
REALLY like their current single (Do the Whirlwind) but know nothing about the band. I've used iTunes to sample the other tunes on their album and to honest they sound a bit crap. Does anyone who has the album want to give me some insight?

Soul Daddy
09-21-2005, 04:47 PM
It's my favorite album of the year, but it definitely takes a few listens to get the feel for it. I'm pretty sure I hated it at first. Check out "Maybe You Can Owe Me" and "It'5". It's basically just crazy hyper-pop.

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-21-2005, 07:18 PM
In Case We Die is a great album and I thought Fingers Crossed was a great album too, but some people didn't agree as much. Anyway, they're 8 people playing a crap load of different instruments and almost all of them sing. I think the problem a lot of people have with them is the overactivity in the music with so many instruments in play. Also, the melodies come and go pretty quickly...

I think you either like how poppy it is or run screaming from it...

EDIT: I would try "Like a Call" and "City Calm Down" off of Fingers Crossed. I think they're pretty accessible. My favorite song off of In Case We Die is "Maybe You Can Owe Me" with "Wishbone" a close second. "It's 5!" is also great

istewart
09-21-2005, 07:38 PM
I like it, but this:

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the melodies come and go pretty quickly...

[/ QUOTE ]

is my major complaint.

jgorham
09-21-2005, 08:20 PM
You should definitely buy their newest album, "In case we Die." Do the whirlwind is probably the most accessible song, but probably not the best.

The closest comparison I can make is to the Fiery Furnaces, and there are a lot of people who don't like either band because they jump around so much. But I like it, and if you already like one track you can probably stomach the rest of the album.

Their first cd, "fingers crossed" is really good too, although I definitely prefer the new one. And besides all of that, they are touring this fall. I am gonna see them in LA, and can't wait!

jason_t
09-21-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The closest comparison I can make is to the Fiery Furnaces

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sealed their fate for me; I will never listen to them.

istewart
09-21-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have two good songs /images/graemlins/wink.gif

smokingrobot
09-21-2005, 08:49 PM
rock paper scissors is an awesome track off their older album.

johnnycakes
09-22-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Architecture in Helsinki.

I hate the Fiery Furnaces.

So,....don't hate.

Macdaddy Warsaw
09-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Oh, for anyone who wants to try something that's like Architecture but maybe not so hyper, you should check out The Brunettes. I saw them open for the Shins and thought they were better than the main act (figure it out). They also use a lot of instruments but they're not as active or ADD or whatever. I think they're a lot better in concert than on their discs, but their discs suffice.