PDA

View Full Version : River call with A high: Standard or Burning Money??

ajmargarine
09-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Villian in this hand is very high on the scale of donkiness. He has all the tricks. Opening for 20BB preflop, pushing preflop, minraising a PFR, etc. On flops he is capable of leading with a donkbet, then when raised, pushing. He's led for $15 with a $3 pot, capable of firing 2 and 3-barrels, betting with air, betting big with any part of the board, betting/raising his draws, etc etc etc. He is SB. We both have ~$150.

.50/$1 NLHE Full Table 8-handed.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif . SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, 1 fold, Hero raises to $5, 3 folds, Villian calls $4.50, 2 folds.

Flop: ($11.50) 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players)</font>
Villain bets $4.20, Hero calls.

Turn: ($19.65) 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players)</font>
Villian bets $4.80, Hero calls.

River: ($28.75) 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue"> (2 players)</font>
Villian bets $25, Hero calls.

Smallish flop and turn bets, a paired board, a big jump in betsize on the river...easy call? Comments on all streets appreciated.

xorbie
09-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Easy raise on the flop more like.

TheWorstPlayer
09-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Looks like you have the better flush draw. Hope he didn't pair his. I like it and have made similar calls against similar donks. I'll look for my favorite one because it was accompanied by some great chat.

ajmargarine
09-21-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. 3-bet, I'm hurting. Give them rope, they hang themselves.

amoeba
09-21-2005, 04:38 PM
if villain is capable of pushing a draw, I like a flop raise.

I think on the river you basically have to ask yourself, how does villain play a flopped set?

TheWorstPlayer
09-21-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. 3-bet, I'm hurting. Give them rope, they hang themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, you are very unlikely to be in bad shape getting it all in on this flop. Anyways, the chat wasn't included in the HH, but here was my favorite call with ace high:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG ($31.23)</font>
MP ($243.15)
<font color="#C00000">TWP ($272.10)</font>
Button ($33.92)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($111.05)</font>
BB ($273)

Preflop: TWP is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, MP calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">TWP raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $8, MP folds.

Flop: ($25) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, TWP checks.

Turn: ($25) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, TWP checks.

River: ($25) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $7</font>, TWP calls $7.

Final Pot: $39

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 3c 6h (one pair, threes).
UTG has Qs Td (high card, queen).
TWP has Kh As (high card, ace).
Outcome: SB wins $39. </font>

The guy spent the next ten minutes telling me how bad I was for calling with ace high. It was great.

RiverFenix
09-21-2005, 04:39 PM
I would raise the flop normally.

On your line I would raise the turn to 15-20 and that way hopefully he checks to you on river if you dont hit but if you do your flush draw, A&amp;K are both hidden.

I could see him playing a mid PP like this as well as a flush draw.

ajmargarine
09-21-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, you are very unlikely to be in bad shape getting it all in on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are nuts. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Give them rope, let the donks be the aggressors, they eventually go broke. I don't want to risk my stack on a draw vs this guy who may have anything. I'd rather induce him to go crazy by playing that flop passively. This guy may overbet the turn if a heart hits. He is capable of anything.

BTW, Congrats on your 6000th post TWP. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

amoeba
09-21-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, you are very unlikely to be in bad shape getting it all in on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are nuts. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Give them rope, let the donks be the aggressors, they eventually go broke. I don't want to risk my stack on a draw vs this guy who may have anything. I'd rather induce him to go crazy by playing that flop passively. This guy may overbet the turn if a heart hits. He is capable of anything.

BTW, Congrats on your 6000th post TWP. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

whats the difference between you holding top pair, him holding second pair and getting it all in and you holding 2 overs and flush draw and him holding second pair?

if you are worried about him having a monster like set, then you shouldn't be calling the river right?