PDA

View Full Version : Moving Up

Waveygravey
05-09-2003, 07:08 AM
I've heard that 300BB is the 'accepted' bankroll you need at any particular limit. I've been thinking about moving up to 2/4 from .5/1 and 1/2 on ladbrokes but was worried that when you actually move up you're probably gonna have more variance initially. Is this the case or does the 300BB take this into account.

Incidentally I found ladbrokes to have softer tables than most sites at the levels i could afford at the time but they don't seem to have many 2/4 games running - are there better sites for this limit?

Bob T.
05-09-2003, 12:07 PM
but was worried that when you actually move up you're probably gonna have more variance initially. Is this the case or does the 300BB take this into account.

... If you are a winning player at the new level, then the 300 BB, should cover the variance that you meet at that level.

The 300 BB is a reccommendation for players that don't have a renewable bankroll. When you are moving up to 2-4, hopefully you aren't risking your life savings. I think that you could certainly start taking shots at the 2-4 level before you have amassed 300 big bets for that level. Especially if you are willing to move back down if you don't meet with initial success at that level.

ResidentParanoid
05-09-2003, 02:07 PM
A large percentage of players that move up end up permanent losers at a larger limit. Without knowing more about your play at 0.5/1, I would say you are likely to be a loser in the higher limit, especially if its tighter, tougher than you currently now play. You must have the judgement about your own game to decide if you are playing profitably at the new limit. It may take more that 300BB to find that out.

I would post some of your lower limit hands for a while, discuss those, and then get advice from people you trust on whether you are ready to move up profitably. Otherwise we are just guessing and you are just gambling.

Or you could just try a 300BB experiment, if that money's not critical to you.