PDA

View Full Version : Need new car $15-20k range

obsidian
09-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm in the market for a new or decent used car (2003 or later) in the $15k-$20k range. I'm young so something sporty would be nice. Some options I've heard are Scion tc and Mazda3 but I'm open to most anything.

09-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I just bought a new 2005 Mazda 3 and I love it. Very sporty and practical at the same time. It handles quite nicely.
I got the 2.0 (the 2.3 is only a 12 horsepower difference) with the only upgrade being the power package - total was $15,400
Go test drive one, you'll like it.

handsome
09-21-2005, 06:02 PM
This has been done X times (X = very large number). Lancer EVO or WRX STi.

JoeC
09-21-2005, 06:05 PM
I really didn't like the tC. Interior design was too X-games, for lack of a better term. You should look at a new Honda Civic; also, you could probably get an Accord LX for right around 19-20k if you make a good deal

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
These cars MSRP at or above $30k.

The Yugoslavian
09-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Ford Focus. Test drive one, you'll be surprised when you then drive a Corolla/Honda/Mazda 3 or whatever.

Yugoslav

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ford Focus. Test drive one, you'll be surprised when you then drive a Corolla/Honda/Mazda 3 or whatever.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, there are two possible ways to interpret this, depending on what you have your sarcasm meter set to.

1) You mean that the Focus is surprisingly good and better than the equivalent Toyota/Honda/Mazda.

To this, I reply: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR [censored] MIND? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The Focus is a pile of [censored] and nothing more.

2) You mean that, after driving the Focus, your expectations will be lowered so low that driving any car immediately afterward feels like you're driving a Porsche Carerra.

This I will agree with. The Focus is a piece of [censored] and it makes a weedwacker-engine-powered scooter look attractive.

The Yugoslavian
09-21-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This I will agree with. The Focus is a piece of [censored] and it makes a weedwacker-engine-powered scooter look attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you're usually spot on about most things. I mean, you're a f*ckin rocket scientist!

But on this topic you're way, way, way off.

I'm talking about a new Ford Focus, of course. Ones from a couple years ago and back were significantly worse...I likely wouldn't go near one of those.

Yugoslav

TheMetetron
09-21-2005, 07:01 PM
I own a tC. They are really, really good for the price. Toyota dependability, too. All glass roof is the deal-maker though... I love it.

That said, I'm holding back not trying to break down and buy an M3 convertible. Once the ones with the new design come out, I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist laying down $70k and riding off in the car squealing like a little school girl.

But yeah, for your price range, tC is a great option.

Edit: Get a stick.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 07:04 PM
There is no realistic circumstance that I can imagine, outside of some situation where you're working for Ford or something, where the words "buy a Focus" would be anywhere near good advice.

TheMetetron
09-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah, focus is by far the worst advice.

Go foreign dude unless you need a Mustang.

BradleyT
09-21-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I own a tC. They are really, really good for the price. Toyota dependability, too. All glass roof is the deal-maker though... I love it.

But yeah, for your price range, tC is a great option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, same.

DasLeben
09-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I'd go for the Scion tC if you want something in that price range. I personally didn't like the Mazda3, but you can get them pretty decked out for a low price. Go test one out.

Other alternatives: Honda Civic, Volkswagen Jetta.

MyTurn2Raise
09-22-2005, 04:46 AM
get a used camry...best car ever value wise

daveymck
09-22-2005, 05:09 AM
The Focus isnt that bad a car but is more a 30,40,50 somthing car for transporting the family than a young persons car.

The new VW Golf GTI is meant to be back to form fast and a good drive but a used one may be just outside the range. The Civic type R would be on my list as well pretty fast and a used one should be at the top bracket of your range. THe mazda is a decent car but looks sportier than it is but is good value for this price range.

09-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Acura RSX Type S

jason_t
09-22-2005, 06:03 AM
The 2006 Honda Civic is a wonderful car. I'm hopefully signing the papers on one tomorrow.

daveymck
09-22-2005, 06:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The 2006 Honda Civic is a wonderful car. I'm hopefully signing the papers on one tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the new one due in Jan? Unless its already out in the states.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk//Car/Honda/Civic/1855416103.jpg

jason_t
09-22-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the new one due in Jan? Unless its already out in the states.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting a sedan which is already out.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/06civic-321.jpg

TheMetetron
09-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Car isn't bad, but I don't think it qualifies as "sporty", though.

jason_t
09-22-2005, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The coupe is sporty. I was responding to daveymck as to what I'm getting.

TheMetetron
09-22-2005, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The coupe is sporty. I was responding to daveymck as to what I'm getting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see.

Yeah the new Si Coupe is actually really nice, though I think that is out of the $20k range (maybe?). The regular coupe isn't that hot IMO.

West
09-22-2005, 10:13 AM
I recently got a 2005 Mazda3i in that price range after intially planning to spend less on maybe a Honda Civic coupe or something used. Bugged people here, did some reading and read a lot of good things about the 3.

Went to a site that I think was called carbuyingtips.com that was very helpful in conjunction with edmunds.com in making sure I knew about what I should be paying. Those sites also helped me solicit dealers for quotes which was helpful in finding out easily who was likely to be reasonable and who was a waste of time. But actually wound up buying from a dealer who wasn't linked to any of the sites I went to that solicited email quotes.

Anyway, I'm definitely happy so far. Time will tell with regards to reliability.

DrSavage
09-22-2005, 10:20 AM
In this price range I'd rather get a slightly used mazda 6.

jaydub
09-22-2005, 10:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
These cars MSRP at or above $30k.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they also look like [censored]. But they're aggressively turbo'd racers so the kids love em.

FouTight
09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
call me crazy, don't discount the Stratus R/T Coupe. For some reason, chicks really dig this car, I get compliments on it all the time. And it's has been a decent car to date, and has a pretty unique, aggressive look.

Get one with a sunroof, etc. Anyways, thats just my experience, definately a lot of nice cars in that range.

http://www.swiftindavis.com/sblog/media/1/20041011-05_stratus_coupe.jpg

STLantny
09-22-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
call me crazy, don't discount the Stratus R/T Coupe. For some reason, chicks really dig this car, I get compliments on it all the time. And it's has been a decent car to date, and has a pretty unique, aggressive look.

Get one with a sunroof, etc. Anyways, thats just my experience, definately a lot of nice cars in that range.

http://www.swiftindavis.com/sblog/media/1/20041011-05_stratus_coupe.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!!! I CAN DO 20 PUSHUPS IN 15 MINUTES!!!!

jaydub
09-22-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Werd. Everytime you drive thru the trailer park the chicks come running.

FouTight
09-22-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you have made lame attempts at putting down other people's suggestions, however, I do not see anything that actually indicates that you want to particpate in this thread save insulting other people.

Do you have something worthwhile to add?

swede123
09-22-2005, 11:01 AM
In all honesty buying domestic isn't the end of the world. Thanks to the employee discounts and all the other deals they got going you can get a domestic luxury car for about the same as a jap. compact car. And if you are buying new there's always the warranty to cover any problems early one. Sure, you may not get the 200K miles out of the engine and transmission, but if you're not planning on owning this car for fifteen years perhaps it's worth the relative gamble.

Swede

jaydub
09-22-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you have made lame attempts at putting down other people's suggestions, however, I do not see anything that actually indicates that you want to particpate in this thread save insulting other people.

Do you have something worthwhile to add?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] no, and if I did I sure as hell wouldn't be on OOT.

STLantny
09-22-2005, 11:03 AM
You can find a 2003 lincoln ls with 20-30k miles (100k full warranty) for about 20k. I have bad taste in cars though, or so Ive been told.

09-22-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this price range I'd rather get a slightly used mazda 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but the problem is finding them. I wanted a used Mazda 6, there are hardly any available anywhere so your chances of getting what you want are slim.

Dealers have a few, but the price really isn't that much less than a new one with dealer rebates.

I still say go with the Mazda 3, it's a great car. Just make sure you get a stick, it's a lot more fun to drive.