PDA

View Full Version : Ugly river - I play like donkey?

ipp147
09-21-2005, 03:52 PM
$100PL on Party.

Fairly new to the table so no real reads. Effective stacks are $100.

UTG Limper and EP raises pot. CO calls and I call in the SB with QJT9. Original limper calls.

4 to the flop for $19. Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check and whiff like a donkey as its checked around.

Turn is the T /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet pot. UTG folds. EP (pfr) calls and CO folds.

River is the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check. Villain bets pot ($57ish). I fold.

2 questions,

Is my river play correct? Is there any chance he is potting with top set here after my check/bet/check?

Is it correct to attempt a check raise on this flop or will most pfr's recognise the dangerous board and check behind here without a big piece of it?

Acesover8s
09-21-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it correct to attempt a check raise on this flop or will most pfr's recognise the dangerous board and check behind here without a big piece of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The guys who are going to bet here may very likely raise you if you bet first. Whenever you have the nuts with a freeroll you should try to jam quickly and early in the hand, before you hit your freeroll and a scare card hits that may lose your customers. Lead, 3-bet is the way to go.

[ QUOTE ]
Is my river play correct? Is there any chance he is potting with top set here after my check/bet/check?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there's some chance, but calling is ridiculous, make a blocking bet instead. As long as you make smallish river bets in other spots (against observant opponents) they won't blow you off your hand just because you bet small.