PDA

View Full Version : KJo sb short-handed

09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
This table was a full-ring that got short-handed, and I'm not yet comfortable with these games because of the higher varience, and my unfamiliarity with SH starting hands.

I've seen UTG a lot and she is 36.7/.37/.67. I watched her raise only once in 250 hands. BB is tightish 18.8/3.3/1.25, but I haven't seen enough of her hands yet.

Should I be 3-betting this flop? I can't imagine BB has a set, but here's where I get weak/tight again. Bet the turn?

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (3.20 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.10 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???

kapw7
09-21-2005, 03:02 PM
I would bet the turn. BB could be raising a worst K here and UTG drawing to a flush. If you get raised by BB again then you are behind and can maybe draw to your gutshot depending on the pot. In any case I leave on the river if both players are there and a 3rd spade falls.

@bsolute_luck
09-21-2005, 03:13 PM
i think i'd rather check/call this turn. i want to see what UTG does as he very could have A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and this small pot, i'd be fine dumping it to his turn raise.

aargh57
09-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I just started playing 6 max but here goes.

I think the flop was OK. You are probably ahead but BB may have a set or 2 pair. Maybe this is weak-tight but I usually call and donk the turn. Maybe this is is poor play (I'm sure someone will tell me if it is).

Like I said, I would lead the turn here, now you pick up a gutshot with your pair although if the J hits your 2 pair is shakey but still may be good SH. Anyway, I hope I'm not too stupid on this.

09-21-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This table was a full-ring that got short-handed, and I'm not yet comfortable with these games because of the higher varience, and my unfamiliarity with SH starting hands.

I've seen UTG a lot and she is 36.7/.37/.67. I watched her raise only once in 250 hands. BB is tightish 18.8/3.3/1.25, but I haven't seen enough of her hands yet.

Should I be 3-betting this flop? I can't imagine BB has a set, but here's where I get weak/tight again. Bet the turn?

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (3.20 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.10 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so I'm feeling good about having the best hand here, but is this a check-it-down situation, because I'm not going to get called &gt;50% with a worse hand? Or is my check on the turn inducing me to a river-bet, and so I am expecting a call on the river? I'm also fairly sure that fishy UTG will call with any two cards, bottom pair or whatever.

Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks.

River: (3.10 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???

MrWookie47
09-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Why aren't we making it 3 on the flop? BB could very easily have a worse hand here.

deception5
09-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Easy 3-bet on the flop.

Bet/fold the turn.

After this turn action you have to bet the river.

09-21-2005, 05:24 PM
My bet on the river was pretty easy, but I'd wished I'd 3-bet the flop. BB had KXs and UTG folded.

siccjay
09-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Shew, for awhile I was thinking WHY HASN'T ANYONE said to 3 bet the flop? I was wondering what 2+2 had come to.

deception5
09-21-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My bet on the river was pretty easy, but I'd wished I'd 3-bet the flop. BB had KXs and UTG folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thing is with UTG limping in a lot but very rarely raising means there's no reason to give credit for a premium hand as the player on average will have an ok hand which could be as good as AK or as bad as 76s or something (there are also fewer combinations of AK available because 2 are accounted for). If she were 10% vp$ip this would be a much different story.

BB on the other hand will call your raise here with a lot of hands getting 5:1 preflop, so I wouldn't give too much credit for a hand yet. He could be thinking that you'll lead this flop with as little as ace high or a pocket pair which he'd like you to lay down. In his position I might make this raise with Tx.

A passive BB calling the raise means Kx, Tx, a flush draw, a straight draw, or maybe a gutshot, ace high, or a pocket pair.

Since it's very likely you are ahead - the question is whether to 3-bet the flop or lead the turn as you don't want to give free cards to a straight or flush draw. I used to just call the raise and lead the turn but I think 3-betting and then leading is a better plan as neither bet is going to fold the opponent and the pot is slightly larger on the turn after the flop 3-bet which may encourage worse hands to call you down, winning you more money in the long run.