PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Job

beta1607
09-21-2005, 02:40 PM
I am going to quit my job, but I have never quit a job before. How do you do it, verbally, with a letter, verbally and then hand your boss the resignation letter? What do you say? FWIW this is a professional career type job.

http://www.oldsocks.co.uk/pictures/Brooke%20Burke/Brooke%20Burke_2.jpg

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
professional career type job

[/ QUOTE ]

And you don't know the proper way to inform your superiors of this?

Or does this mean "I manage a Burger King"?

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Write them a very brief 3-4 sentence letter.

HERE (http://www.houston-job-search.com/resignation_letters.htm) are some examples. Google is your friend.

beta1607
09-21-2005, 02:55 PM
You are probably too busy injected Bonds ass with steroids and missed this
[ QUOTE ]
I have never quit a job before

[/ QUOTE ]

cdxx
09-21-2005, 05:34 PM
how about just stop going?

the only job i quit like that was a bagel shop in high school. i told them i needed a week off to study for the SATs, and never showed up again. didn't regret it at all.

jb9
09-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Unless you are on bad terms with your boss, tell him/her verbally and then ask if a resignation letter/e-mail is needed.

FWIW, I've had 7 (or is it 8? they blend together after a while...) employees quit from midlevel professional/career positions. They've all told me verbally and one or two handed me a resignation letter. My company does not request them (at least from mid level employees), but it certainly doesn't bother me to stick it in their file.

Either way, my reaction is the same: if they are a good employee, I tell them I'm sorry to lose them, wish them good luck, and might ask if there is something I could do to change their mind if I really want to keep them; if they are not a good employee, I tell them I'm sorry to lose them and wish them good luck.

That said, not all bosses react professionally to people quitting, so if your boss is likely to get upset or be unprofessional, a letter could help make the situation more "formal" which could possibly cause your boss to behave better.

beta1607
09-21-2005, 06:18 PM
good advice, thanks!