PDA

View Full Version : May Have Butchered Every Street Leading To Turn Mistake

Rick Nebiolo
09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Here’s a simple problem from a $400 fixed buy-in B&M no limit game with $5 and $10 blinds. The action is only OK for this type of game and I’m planning to get up when I finish a meal so long term meta-game doesn’t matter much.

I’ve been card dead, getting blinded off and winning one small pot with a flop bet in the last hour and have $360. Everyone has me covered. The players were strangers to me before starting this short session.

UTG+1, a moderately tight and somewhat observant/thinking player sitting open raises for $30 (his normal raise so far). All fold to the CO who calls. CO just sat down and looks like the type who takes poker seriously. I’m on the button holding AK offsuit. I consider a raise to about $100 but decide to just call. Blinds fold and pot is $100 after rake.

Is calling wrong by a lot?

If you raise, is $100 about right or do you push?

The flop comes A-T-3 rainbow. UTG+1 bets $100. CO folds. I consider raising all-in but decide to just call. I have $230 left after my call. Pot is $300. How bad is not pushing or raising here?

The tune comes a nine completing the rainbow. UTG+1 checks. What’s my play for the rest of the hand?

All comments appreciated.

~ Rick

AZK
09-21-2005, 02:59 PM
all in.

With 40 bets you should have no problem playing tptk for your stack. You could reraise preflop, takes down $75 which is nice to add to a $400 stack.

Rick Nebiolo
09-21-2005, 04:16 PM
These people will call with the medium to big pairs and slightly worse ace-kickers so I have some equity going all-in BTF. Downside is I probably can pick up more by waiting for an even better opportunity. Agree that all-in is usually best with this stack size.

Given I played the hand the way I did what about the turn? I believe I made a huge error here.

~ Rick

fsuplayer
09-21-2005, 04:29 PM
i push pf, and I dont think its that close with 36BB's.

as it is, bet a little more than half your stack, and no, you cant fold the river regardless of the card.

you could push, but you want AJ paying you off, so i just bet 150ish.

Rick Nebiolo
09-21-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i push pf, and I dont think its that close with 36BB's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I think I've been missing too many flops the last month with big aces and its got me playing like a wimp BTF lately.

[ QUOTE ]
as it is, bet a little more than half your stack, and no, you cant fold the river regardless of the card.

you could push, but you want AJ paying you off, so i just bet 150ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind on the turn or river I wasn't even considering folding. The objective was figuring out the best way to get all my remaining money AND get called. With $230 left in my stack, betting 150ish is even sillier than the bet I made. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

After UTG+1 checked I bet $100 (out of $230 remaining) into the $300 pot. Opponent went into the tank for about twenty seconds and folded QQ face up. The player was smart enough to be suspicious of my turn mini bet (especially after my flop call) and he realized that calling it would commit him to the pot.

Even divorcing results I'm relatively certain the best turn play is to check behind. I call/raise any river bet all-in or push all-in if checked to again. Either way I'm far more likely to see get his money in with him holding a weaker hand such as a big pair or ace-not as good kicker.

Alternative is to push on the turn. This looks less suspicious and has a somewhat higher chance of getting called.

Note that the right plays on all streets is a lot different if I'm deep (let's say about $2000).

~ Rick