PDA

View Full Version : Using Neteller...help a dumbass

DanS
05-09-2003, 03:44 AM
Hi guys,
I read IG but post in other forums. I'm trying to get started playing online, and to that end, I've read a lot of the posts/thoughts on IG.

The one thing I can't find/figure out is a simple explanation of how Neteller works (and I think I've even figured out deposit bonuses!!!). The way I read it is: Neteller makes a transaction from your checking account (free on your end), and charges you 'x' to put it back in (?, I could be wrong). They also charge you to cut you a check. Some sites allow you to 'work it off' (the neteller fees) by playing x amount of hands. Am I way off base?

Dan...

who didn't get his butt kicked by Lorinda tonight /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Glenn
05-09-2003, 04:58 AM
It is similar to Paypal. You register your account, they verify it, and you can transfer money into your Neteller account. You can then transfer the money to gambling sites. There is usually no fee for this on your end. You can then cashout from the site to Neteller (most sites support this with the exception of Gaming Club). Normally, the recipient of a member to member transfer pays a % fee, but this is not the case when recieving money from gambling sites. Cashins and cashouts are generally free. Also, you can then have the money directly transfered to your bank account. This is also free. In short, I have transfered a lot of money in and out and can't recall ever paying a fee.

DanS
05-09-2003, 05:02 AM
Glenn,
Thanks for the timely response. So, they don't even have to cut a check for the overage (assuming I win), they just kick it into your checking account? Nice.

Dan

DanS
05-09-2003, 05:04 AM
Dammit, it's late, and I'm tired, so one more question I forgot to ask...are there any ramifications to using a fake SSN? I'm not paranoid, I just don't want that info floating around the net in more places than it has to be.

Dan

Dan

Glenn
05-09-2003, 05:06 AM
Yes, once you verify your checking account with them, electronic fund transfers out are free. A check is $1. The EFT generally takes about 3 days before I see it in my account.

Glenn
05-09-2003, 05:14 AM
I don't remember giving them my SS, but I also don't think I gave them a fake one. With something like that, I figure they already have access to my checking account so my SS is the least of my concerns. I don't know why they'd actually need that or how they'd verify it though (if you were to just make up a number). Mabye just talk to their live support and you can get around giving it in a legit way. I don't like giving that stuff either, not even my birth date, and sometimes if you just talk to the people, you can get around it.

DanS
05-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Yeah,
I signed up today and they wanted birthdate and SSN. I wonder (purely theoretically speaking, of course!!!) if you gave semi-bad info at live tourneys if that would cause your W-2G info to fall through the cracks.

Dan

dr_mabuse
05-09-2003, 07:15 AM
hi folks !

i am also new to netteller, does it work without any problems for european citizens too ?

thanks and bye
olaf

beernutz
05-09-2003, 09:34 AM
If you're paranoid like me you might want to only give them access to a savings account you set up just for Neteller. I didn't want the account with the bulk of my disposable income, checking, accessible by Neteller. Be aware that there are limits on the number of withdrawals per quarter that you can have on most savings accounts.

lorinda
05-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Europeans can only take a check.

Lori

Terry
05-09-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm not positive but I think Neteller is a Canadian company, so it does seem a bit odd that they would want an American SS#. They didn't request it when I signed up.

Anyway, be aware that SS#s cannot just be made up. They have a certain format, so some made up numbers would show as invalid. You'll need to do a bit of research for guidelines on how to make up a number that "appears" to be valid if you choose to go that route.

beernutz
05-09-2003, 02:23 PM
One possible ramification is that it is a federal offense to provide a false social security number.

Jeffage
05-09-2003, 05:18 PM
I also didn't have to provide a social when I joined, but I believe all new members are required to do so. My guess is this is so they can comply with US laws about reporting transactions in excess of 10k per transaction but who knows. I just think they want to know who you are if necessary, but they seem like a trustworthy company in general.

Jeff

Jim Easton
05-09-2003, 05:42 PM
guess is this is so they can comply with US laws about reporting transactions in excess of 10k per transaction but who knows.

Aren't they a Canadian company? Do they have to comply with those laws? Aren't the reporting requirements for cash (actual bills) transactions?

Jeffage
05-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Jim,

These are good questions that I am not entirely clear on. The only reason I am guessing this is the case was from something I read in an MSNBC article where someone who worked for Neteller was saying that it would be dumb for the US to ban funds transfers to them bc if they couldn't operate, sites would create their own blackmarket methods that don't follow US regulations (or can be tracked for potential money laundering, etc). I think you are right about the reporting requirements but maybe they have some kind of good faith agreement to report someone moving like 100's of thousands for example.

See article below...http://www.msnbc.com/news/862204.asp

Jeff

DanS
05-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Hey Jeff/Jim,
The reason that Neteller purports to want a SSN is to comply with the "Patriot Act." I forget if I/you have to supply your SSN for direct deposit, but if you don't, I couldn't imagine why you'd need it for an EFT.

Dan

Terry
05-10-2003, 12:13 AM
I absolutely positively guarantee you that it is not a federal offense to give a false US SS# to a private company in another country.

beernutz
05-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Why does 408(a)(7)(B ) not apply here Terry?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
As unlikely as it might seem at first, a little-known felony fraud section of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. § 406, 1-189) (the "Act") has emerged as a highly effective weapon in the domestic war against terrorism. Since the terrorist events of September 11, prosecutors in some districts have used § 408(a)(7) of Title 42 to charge and detain individuals suspected of engaging in, or suborning, terrorist activities, and who have misused or misrepresented a social security account number ("SSN"). Specifically, under § 408(a)(7) of the Act, a person is subject to criminal penalties if he or she:

(1) willfully, knowingly, and with an intent to deceive uses a social security number on the basis of false information furnished to the SSA (408 (a)(7 )(A));

(2) falsely represents, with an intent to deceive, a number to be the social security number assigned to him or her or to another person (408(a)(7)(B )); or

(3) knowingly altered a social security card issued by the SSA, bought or sold a card that was, or was purported to be, a card so issued, counterfeited a social security card, or possessed a social security card or counterfeit social security card with an intent to sell or alter it (408( a)(7)(C )).

[/ QUOTE ]

Terry
05-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Well, attempting to apply US law to another country is quite a stretch, but it has been done. Whether or not it was legal is a question that gets to be decided by those in power.

If US laws apply in other countries, I don't see why every American who has driven in England shouldn't receive a traffic citation for driving on the wrong side of the road... nasty can o' worms. Someone who unintentionally entered an incorrect digit or two on a computer keyboard shall be subject to the wrath of the Pan American Strike Force. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

There are many people living in the US who don't have a SS#.

beernutz
05-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Terry, I was really expecting a better argument than this driving non sequitur. I thnk making public statements like you did, given the current political environment and given the statute I pointed out (which has been applied in several terrorist-related cases already) is borderline irresponsible.

lorinda
05-10-2003, 02:13 PM
I don't see why every American who has driven in England shouldn't receive a traffic citation for driving on the wrong side of the road...

We don't have THAT many police.

Lori

Terry
05-11-2003, 12:51 AM
The current political environment ... oboy

Can “they” drop paratroopers into another country, capture a sitting foreign leader, and put him on trial in an American court. Yes, they can. Is it legal? Only in the sense the sense that those with the biggest guns get to decide.

When you swipe your debit card for your milk at the 7-11 are you guilty of supporting terrorists if the guy who owns the store sends money to Afghanistan? That makes just as much sense as the idea that buying drugs or playing internet poker supports terrorism.

The current political environment is out of control. I don’t consider these non sequiturs, but rather radical (in the true sense of the word, i.e., going to the root) examples.

Perhaps I am borderline irresponsible for publicly stating unpopular opinions that might tend to rile the populace, but hell, I didn’t even tell the guy how to make up a number. He’ll have to go to the SocSec (see what you’ve done – I’m afraid to write SS for fear of being misunderstood) website to find out.

I feel a serious rant coming on regarding social engineering by government bureaucrats but I don’t have the time right now. Ya got lucky. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

beernutz
05-11-2003, 12:58 AM
After reading that response to what I wrote I now believe you. It IS a tinfoil hat.

Terry
05-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Good answer. I suppose putting up that picture was asking for it, but let's keep to intellectual / informational discussion.