PDA

View Full Version : DVI Video

callmedonnie
09-21-2005, 02:02 PM
I just got me a 2001fp w/ a new Dell I bought. Everything is great and I don't have a troubleshooting question. I just want to know if anyone can help explain the new DVI technology. What capabilities and options are now available to me is really what I'm looking for. Thanks.

09-21-2005, 07:36 PM
The DVI interface itself unfortunately does not offer any more features than a regular 15pin monitor connector.

The only thing you can do with it is plug your monitor in. The technology is capable of doing both digital and analogue, and it uses TMDS, which is a method of signal broadcast that is overall an improvement.

So just trust that the quality is there... you're getting a nice clean picture from your flat panel that won't be affected by RF interference, etc, like an old CRT monitor with an analogue connection.

In addition to the new DVI plug, your computer may also have an S-Video or Composite output that will allow you to hook up to a television or second monitor and use dual monitors.

Hope this helped out a bit. I can post further technical information on DVI if you like, but I don't think this is what you are after..