PDA

View Full Version : OOT: Pick my next book and my gun

MuckerFish
09-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Hey OOT: Pick my next book for me. I usually read non fiction, but I’m looking to expand my horizons with some fiction/literature. I’ve read fight Club in the past and kinda liked it, maybe one of his follow ups? Or maybe one of the classics, Dante’s Inferno type of thing? Any way, you guys decide.
While I’ve got you on the line, pick a gun out for me also. I’m not asking you should I, I am, so no pro/con hijacks please. I’ve been thinking about it for a while, and seeing the meltdown of civil defense down in New Orleans recently was really disturbing. But the straw that broke the camel’s back occurred this week when one of the facilities that I’m the Medical Director for was approached by representatives from the CDC and Homeland Security. They wanted the facility and me to administer anthrax/smallpox vaccines in case of national emergency/ bioterrorism. WTF? Are they nuts? Do they really think people are going to be polite and line up nice and neat if there’s some anthrax floatin’ around? Hell no. In case of above or such similar events, my family, me, and the lovely new gun that OOT has chosen for me are packing up the ole SUV and getting the F out of Dodge.
What I’m looking for is something with manstopping power, a decent size magazine, and some bad ass looks. I guess I’m hoping that just seeing the thing may be enough to stop some [censored] who really wasn’t all that committed to causing some serious hurt to my loved ones. In case it isn't, I'd like to be able to see through the hole it leaves in above said [censored]. All suggestions appreciated.

“Hey Llama what about a little sumthin for the effort?” Here ya go! Thanks!

http://gorillamask.net/jellison%20(54).jpg

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Glock 21.

diebitter
09-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Catch 22

Aces McGee
09-21-2005, 12:13 PM
well played.

rohjoh
09-21-2005, 12:13 PM
http://www.glock.com/g17.jpg

asofel
09-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Desert Eagle point five O

erby
09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Desert Eagle .45...great stopping power

Books:
Marquez "100 years of solitude'
Pynchon "The Crying of Lot 49"

ERBY /images/graemlins/spade.gif

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I like the 21 for the big round and if you get the little mag extension, you've got 17 shots. LINK (http://www.glock.com/g21.htm)

jaydub
09-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Mossberg 590.

If the concern is civil unrest, not much beats a 12 gauge.

chuddo
09-21-2005, 12:18 PM
http://www.adamsguns.com/763.jpg
http://www.anglersbooksupply.com/book_images/0917218574.jpg

kyro
09-21-2005, 12:18 PM
AWP!!!!! It's only $4750 and you rescued 2 hostages last round so you have enough money.

theghost
09-21-2005, 12:20 PM
You should read Blood Meridian - historical fictionish badass motherf*kers (1850s).

You should get a shot gun so you don't have to aim, and a glock sidearm for clip capacity.

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should get a shot gun so you don't have to aim

[/ QUOTE ]

Haver you ever fired a shotgun? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brainwalter
09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should get a shot gun so you don't have to aim

[/ QUOTE ]

Haver you ever fired a shotgun? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in video games, it appears.

09-21-2005, 12:35 PM
The Glock 21 is indeed an excellent choice for a pistol, but if you want the best survival firearm, you can't beat an AR15.

This site will tell you everything you need to know, even how to build your own:
www.ar15.com (http://www.ar15.com)

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Glock 21 is indeed an excellent choice for a pistol, but if you want the best survival firearm, you can't beat an AR15.

[/ QUOTE ]

The AR15 is an excellent firearm, unless you're going to get it dirty and actually need it to fire. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JihadOnTheRiver
09-21-2005, 12:36 PM
My recommendations are to read American Psycho and get a Glock 9mm. They're black and simple, but they're very powerful and high quality, easy to clean.

09-21-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The AR15 is an excellent firearm, unless you're going to get it dirty and actually need it to fire. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
A prudent marksman treats his rifle like his dick, and keeps it out of the dirt.

raisins
09-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I second the recommendation for Blood Meridian. Probably my favorite work of fiction. If you like it check out Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession. Despite Blood Meridian reading like a pulp western written by an Old Testament prophet it closely follows history. Most of the characters were real historical figures and the narrative follows Chamberlain's although there is some question as to how much Chamberlain exaggerates.

I don't know too much about guns but I've heard Benelli shotguns are very fun to shoot and they can put more lead in the air faster than an uzi (might not be too relevant for a self defense situation, then again can't hurt). They're very expensive though.

regards,

raisins

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A prudent marksman treats his rifle like his dick, and keeps it out of the dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I've been beaten for not treating my rifle the way it needs. I've also been in places where it's not possible, and wished to God I had something else.

If I need to hit something at 500m, I'll take the AR-15. If i want something to actually fire when I need it to, there are any number of other weapons I'd rather have.

jaydub
09-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Regardless of whether it's an AR or an AK, an inexperienced shooter should not have a rifle as a civil unrest weapon. A shotgun is a far, far better choice.

09-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Do you have experience with the AR Jake? I have a little experience from when I was on the TDC perimeter security team (and subsequently purchasing one), but not much chance for them to get dirty in that situation, unless some slovenly correctional officer gets his twinkie crumbs all over it.

Our military's been using the black rifle for decades now. How's this the case if it's so unreliable? The M16 had a very bad reputation for failure at critical times when it was first introduced in Vietnam, but from what I understand, this has been rectified.

As far as a shotgun goes, I'd recommend against getting an auto shotgun like a Benelli. I think one of the most important factors in choosing a survival firearm, the purchaser needs to account for ease of repair and finding replacement parts. I'd tend to shy away from fancy schmancy foreign firearms.

And stick to commonly used calibers: .45ACP, 9mm, .223, etc.

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AWP!!!!! It's only $4750 and you rescued 2 hostages last round so you have enough money.

[/ QUOTE ]

We really need a 1.5 server, I'd love to take pop shots at some of you /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We really need a 1.5 server, I'd love to take pop shots at some of you /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The term is "pot" shots.

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The term is "pot" shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears I don't care. Go figure.

Claunchy
09-21-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
AWPs r for n00bs. If ur 1337 enuf ull buy a Scout.

benfranklin
09-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Choice of a weapon depends on where you will keep it and potentially use it, and on how much training you intend to do.

I would not recommend an AR-15 (or any other rifle) unless you can commit to some serious initial instruction and regular follow-up. If you want a long gun for home defense, I recommend the Mossberg 12ga with an 18.5 inch barrel:

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/images/0250411.gif

The same thing applies to a hand gun. You should train regularly in any case, but a revolver is simpler to operate and preferable for anyone who is not going to practice regularly and take periodic refresher courses. I would recommend an older S&W .357 like:

http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/037503000/37503748/pix3241229234.jpg

If you are going to get a semi-auto, do not buy a Glock unless you have given one a good testing. People generally love or hate Glocks. I don't hate them, but I never really liked mine and traded it in on a SIG P229. It's a matter of preference, feel, comfort, etc. For stopping power, it's hard to beat a good old 1911, and you can't go wrong with a Kimber:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/royal_II.jpg