PDA

View Full Version : Moving back from Shorthanded to a Full game....

mtdoak
09-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I recently due to personal financial reasons had to move from the 3/6 6 max to 2/4 full. Over a small sample space, I am noticing that my win rate is much better than it was and my stats have changed. I don't have it in front of me, but before my stats were 16/8/1.5, now I am 18/10/2 since moving back to full. While I don't have a large enough sample space in shorthanded to establish a true win rate, I was doing somewhat well in shorthanded. My most noticable change has been my preflop aggression, value betting more vs bad players, and I am trusting my reads alot more. Has anyone had a similar experience with this? Does the shorthanded experience truly alter your full game for the better?

W. Deranged
09-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I think that it is absolutely true that playing shorthanded helps everyone's full ring game. I think everyone would be well-advised to periodically play some 6max at a comfortable limit to work largely on those skills: pre-flop aggression, value-betting weak players, hand-reading, detecting moves and calling down, and so on. My pfr has been steadily climbing (from like 9 to 13 or something), and I think a lot of that has to do with time spent playing 6max.

TheHip41
09-21-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that it is absolutely true that playing shorthanded helps everyone's full ring game. I think everyone would be well-advised to periodically play some 6max at a comfortable limit to work largely on those skills: pre-flop aggression, value-betting weak players, hand-reading, detecting moves and calling down, and so on. My pfr has been steadily climbing (from like 9 to 13 or something), and I think a lot of that has to do with time spent playing 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you guys mean. I haven't played a whole lot at 6-max, but these ideas come through.

When I play .5-1 my pfr was like 7

at 1-2, it got to like 8.5

now at 2-4 it's like 11-12

I just keep open raising with all sorts of trash /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sy_or_bust
09-21-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does the shorthanded experience truly alter your full game for the better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Preflop raising and blind/HU play improve dramatically, and you'll see it in your winrate.