PDA

View Full Version : Still wanna rebuild New Orleans?

newfant
09-21-2005, 11:33 AM
I think we'll be seeing more and more of these monsters in the future:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/IronBallsMcGinty/isese.jpg

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Your post is lame. But, it does bring up a few questions I've had recently...

WTF does Cuba do? Do these [censored]'ers rebuild ever year or something? It seems like every storm at least partially hits them...

And double WTF?? Was the devil living in NO and get evacuated to Houston? It just seems like someone is trying to finish the job here...

OH! and tripple WTF!?!?! Why the [censored] haven't I made Jell-O recently?!?!?!?!

steelcmg
09-21-2005, 11:45 AM
i watched a special on the discovery channel a little while ago and they where saying that its kinda worthless to rebuild down there because its going to end up being all covered with water soon. I dont know how long soon is but u figure they r lossing how much wet lands a day. They also had some guys that have been doing alot of research say that we havent seen anything yet for storms and we should be seeing something alot worse then the last one with in the next few years.

xadrez
09-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Cuba get smashed with huge hurricanes all the time. The difference is they actually have executable and coherent emergency plans.

You can fault Castro's gov't on many things, but hurricane planning is something that they have down pat.

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cuba get smashed with huge hurricanes all the time. The difference is they actually have executable and coherent emergency plans.

You can fault Castro's gov't on many things, but hurricane planning is something that they have down pat.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the structures though? Do they typically survive?

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the structures though? Do they typically survive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Grass huts are fairly easy to rebuild. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rohjoh
09-21-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus Cuba is not built 15FT below sea level.

xadrez
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
True, but also remember that they are also one of the poorest nations in the world.

Toro
09-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't rebuild but that isn't going to happen. But if they do rebuild this is what should be considered. I posted this in OOT a while back:

This is a concept, a concept that might just be totally unfeasible after proper study. But speaking as a civil engineer, I think rebuilding New Orleans at the same elevation is a huge mistake. But for a myriad of socio/economic/historic/sentimental reasons we all know the City will be rebuilt.

And it's obviously not feasible to raise the elevation of the whole footprint of the city and start from scratch. So my idea is to fill only a part of the City, the section closest to Lake Ponchatrain. Pick a width, whether it be one city block wide or more and raze every structure in this area. None of them are probably salvageable anyway.

Have the city take all of the properties by Eminent Domain and compensate the property owners. Then bring in massive quantities of fill and raise the elevation of the entire area a suitable height above the lake. Then rebuild this section of the City at the higher elevation.

There would be no more dike. This new elevation would contain the lake and protect the rest of the City from a future catastropic event.

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 03:12 PM
This thing is getting ugly. Cat-4/140

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

Blarg
09-21-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your post is lame. But, it does bring up a few questions I've had recently...

WTF does Cuba do? Do these [censored]'ers rebuild ever year or something? It seems like every storm at least partially hits them...

And double WTF?? Was the devil living in NO and get evacuated to Houston? It just seems like someone is trying to finish the job here...

OH! and tripple WTF!?!?! Why the [censored] haven't I made Jell-O recently?!?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP must have had a picture I have blocked -- I do that a lot so pages don't get slowed down by endless idiot avatars and pics.

As to structures surviving hurricanes, here's how they do it in Guam, which is typhoon hell. It gets bombarded by typhoons every year, and extremely frequently by severe ones. We barely even count a lot of the type that are strong enough to make the news in the continental U.S.

Basically, the poorest people live in aluminum shacks and they get blown out to sea. The next ladder up has wooden houses and sometimes they collapse and sometimes they don't, but they're very vulnerable and often need repairs. The termite problem is so bad there that wooden houses are not that good an idea for that reason, either.

The people who can afford it get reinforced concrete houses. These things are so strong you can drive a truck into them. All you have to do is board up the windows. Not that that will prevent a coconut going at 140 mph from blasting through, but you cross your fingers. Much fear during typhoons is eliminated that way, and a lot of a house is salvageable even after it has been through a fire.

It's the most expensive options, but a real relief to live in compared to a wooden house. And wooden houses are well built there, not like the ones here in California where I live now, where even millionaire's super expensive homes creak and sound like you're going to fall through a wall when you lean against it. But a wooden house in a hurricane is basically a huge gamble that's easily lost.

Blarg
09-21-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't rebuild but that isn't going to happen. But if they do rebuild this is what should be considered. I posted this in OOT a while back:

This is a concept, a concept that might just be totally unfeasible after proper study. But speaking as a civil engineer, I think rebuilding New Orleans at the same elevation is a huge mistake. But for a myriad of socio/economic/historic/sentimental reasons we all know the City will be rebuilt.

And it's obviously not feasible to raise the elevation of the whole footprint of the city and start from scratch. So my idea is to fill only a part of the City, the section closest to Lake Ponchatrain. Pick a width, whether it be one city block wide or more and raze every structure in this area. None of them are probably salvageable anyway.

Have the city take all of the properties by Eminent Domain and compensate the property owners. Then bring in massive quantities of fill and raise the elevation of the entire area a suitable height above the lake. Then rebuild this section of the City at the higher elevation.

There would be no more dike. This new elevation would contain the lake and protect the rest of the City from a future catastropic event.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds a lot more sensible than pouring massive amounts of money into the area and acquiring enormous debt for all the country's citizens, just to rebuild what should have been built in the first place and if rebuilt now will just go under again anyway.

There's almost no facet of this situation that doesn't give any and every politician the perfect opportunity to be his most damaging, foolish, and ineffective. I'm sure that without fail, virtually everyone will run with the opportunity to the full extent of his powers.

stabn
09-21-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would take years to compact / settle that fill enough for it to be safe to build on. The army corps of engineers isn't going to let you pour a foundation for 5+ years most likely.

Johnnyj580
09-21-2005, 05:31 PM
"George Bush doesn't care about black people"

Its funny cuz its true

John (Republican)

peachy
09-21-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its also easier to rebuild the types of homes they have there

SomethingClever
09-21-2005, 05:56 PM
The sensible thing for these parts of the country that are vulnerable is to simply enact a very strict building code, starting now.

You could grandfather in people who own old properties and want to take the risk, but all new structures must to withstand cat: 5 hurricanes.

I'm speaking of Florida and parts of Texas more than NOLA, however, because NOLA has the even worse flooding problem of being below water. They they should really do something like Toro is suggesting. It would be madness to just rebuild as was.

peachy
09-21-2005, 05:58 PM
they r filling in where they can to make the ground no longer below sea lvl....did noone hear BUSH announce this?

its the best thing that can be done cause people are gonna rebuild there...all of the south is used to dealing with hurricanes and NO rarely gets hit like that...itll come back just like all of our other cities have

not rebuilding would never not be an option down here...especially in the bigger and economically important cities that get knocked out

MOST of us would move if we got "devasted" every 5 to 10 years in a certain place...but that just doesnt happen...contrary to popular belief people in the south are not that dumb

whiskeytown
09-21-2005, 05:59 PM
why no, let's not rebuild New Orleans and the surrounding areas...

Let's not rebuild one of the biggest ports in America with easy access to a river that cuts thru the heartland....

God I hope people aren't really this stupid.

RB

LSUfan1
09-21-2005, 06:07 PM
All of you are failing to consider one LARGE fact. There is a human impact here that is greater than the structures.

As a cajun myself, born and raised below sea level, they will rebuild as soon as the area allows for it.

There are many years of history and culture in that great city that no hurricaine can take away! People create a city, not the structures that are put in place!

Is is crazy to build below sea level, YES!

Introduce me to one sane cajun, and that will be the first one I've met. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

ENJOY /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MyTurn2Raise
09-21-2005, 06:31 PM
A world without Bourbon St. is a world I don't want to be a part of

Broken Glass Can
09-21-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cuba controls the media. If you say "Castro didn't do a good job on the hurricane", you end up dead. If we had rules like that in the U.S., half the media would be dead by now.

I'll take our system over Castro anytime. Some of you might prefer the Castro way. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LSUfan1
09-23-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A world without Bourbon St. is a world I don't want to be a part of

[/ QUOTE ]

My point exactly! And there are a few other things about New Orleans that people still want to see.

Should we not rebuild the twin towers because they make easy targets for terrorists?

xadrez
09-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I did not get my information from the Cuban media, Troll. I got it from family there. Go back to Politics, please.

Broken Glass Can
09-23-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did not get my information from the Cuban media, I got it from family there.

[/ QUOTE ]

My condolences, I know people who were stuck living in a totalitarian state (in Eastern Europe). They could not speak freely and they lived in deplorable conditions (obviously not part of the ruling elite).

It is sad how these people suffer in silence, and yet some people in the US will praise the totalitariam government that makes them suffer.

xadrez
09-23-2005, 10:23 AM
I hope you are not implying that they were lying...

wacki
09-24-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they r filling in where they can to make the ground no longer below sea lvl....did noone hear BUSH announce this?

its the best thing that can be done cause people are gonna rebuild there...all of the south is used to dealing with hurricanes and NO rarely gets hit like that...itll come back just like all of our other cities have

not rebuilding would never not be an option down here...especially in the bigger and economically important cities that get knocked out

MOST of us would move if we got "devasted" every 5 to 10 years in a certain place...but that just doesnt happen...contrary to popular belief people in the south are not that dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachy, NO used to rarely get hit. But if you do a search w/ my name you will find plenty of threads on why it's no longer going to be a rarity.

lastchance
09-24-2005, 03:20 AM
So, this is an effect of global warming?

Question 1) Did anyone predict this?
Question 2) If question 1 is true, what the hell is happening in the next 10-15 years?

lastchance
09-24-2005, 03:22 AM
I think we all know Cuba is a dictatorship run by Fidel Castro with no personal liberties. Still, it isn't hard to imagine that Castro can get at least one thing right.

wacki
09-24-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, this is an effect of global warming?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some say yes, some say not yet, others say no.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 1) Did anyone predict this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, NOAA has been talking about this for almost 10 years.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2) If question 1 is true, what the hell is happening in the next 10-15 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will only get worse.

Natural hurricane cycles will only intensify over the next 20 years. Global warming is supposed to give it an extra boost with undebatable effects being felt in 100 years. Warm water fuels these monsters. That is of course if you believe in global warming and scienctists aren't all looney.

I've posted tons of links in the past.