PDA

View Full Version : Missed ESPN last night, which ones did they cover?

cincy_kid24
09-21-2005, 11:06 AM
I think it should by 5,000 NL and 2,500 stud but im not sure. Anyway, can someone give me a rundown of what happened?

Ratman138
09-21-2005, 11:24 AM
As far as stud was concerned, Joe Awada made the final table in an attempt to defend his title. he was unsuccessful . The guy who won literally got a lesson before the tourney started and had never played before. He got lucky on the river about 9 times and beat Sexton. Not mike sexton, but another one. Sextons son made a final table a couple shows ago.
All i remember about the HE is that Seif won and it was his second bracelet in a week.

ClaytonN
09-21-2005, 11:27 AM
The guy who won stud was JohnnyBax, a top player on stars. He got a lesson from Fischman on stud before the tournament and promptly won it.

Kevmath
09-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Bax won the $1500 Stud event, the event shown last night on ESPN was $5000 Stud, won by Jan Sorensen

cincy_kid24
09-21-2005, 11:40 AM
It seems there is some confusion on the stud event, lol. No problem i remember that one reading the tourney breakdown on Cardplayer.com (a much improved site by the way, i digress though) But we are sure that Mark Seif won the NL event, good for him, i dont think he fared too well at last year's wsop.

Ratman138
09-21-2005, 12:05 PM
sorry for the confusion on the stud winner. i was just pulling for awada to win.

tyler_cracker
09-21-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He got lucky on the river about 9 times and beat Sexton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he actually get lucky on the river, or did he get lucky on "the river" like when Sexton showed Awada the trip Ks he picked up on 4th street?

My other favorite moment was when Awada told Phan that he couldn't be so "innovative" since they were playing stud and not HE, and then proceeded to slowplay pocket As against Sorensen and lose to a rivered pair of As with a higher kicker.

Malificent
09-21-2005, 07:11 PM
He got lucky on the actual river multiple times. The TV coverage made it seem like he was chasing his draws a lot. How true that actually was, I don't know.

stabn
09-21-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He got lucky on the actual river multiple times. The TV coverage made it seem like he was chasing his draws a lot. How true that actually was, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was priced in and played correctly each of the hands i saw. Oh yah he's going to fold a 4 flush on 6th heads up with 20% of his stack in the pot, riiiiight. Norman chad is a [censored] joke. Yah norm, that was really 'chasing'.

Jibbs
09-21-2005, 11:20 PM
It was the $1500 NL event #22.

TXTiger
09-22-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was priced in and played correctly each of the hands i saw. Oh yah he's going to fold a 4 flush on 6th heads up with 20% of his stack in the pot, riiiiight. Norman chad is a [censored] joke. Yah norm, that was really 'chasing'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am no stud expert, but if I understand even a little then the commentary was the some of the worst that I have heard. I remember one hand where Chad was on one of his rants about losers chase in stud so on and so on .... and the guy had a freakin' straight flush draw. Chad acted like you should never play a drawing hand. Actually I think the opposite is true. It's frequently correct to chase in stud, much more so than in holdem. Chad was acting like you shouldn't be calling one bet on 6th streat with an open-ender because "only losers chase in stud."

henrikrh
09-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Normans comment is just another sign of how badly ESPN needs to start looking at stack sizes and pot sizes. Horrible coverage.

Angelic_Ace
09-22-2005, 10:10 PM
I think Norm was joking that chasers always lose, after he said that he added that 'but with a straight and flush draw, he has to call' which is correct.

benkahuna
09-23-2005, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Norm was joking that chasers always lose, after he said that he added that 'but with a straight and flush draw, he has to call' which is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also my recollection.

I remember Norm dissing a guy chasing an open straight draw and an inside straight draw on 4th/5th street when indications were that the hand was beat. Same with some of Sorenson's (sic) flush draws. In those cases, he was right so far as I remember.

I also remember "gentle" Joe Awada being kind of a self-entitled smack talker.