PDA

View Full Version : hangovers

asofel
09-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Can they get worse with time? Normally the start of the day is the worse, and it gets better from there. I think this one's on time delay...it is always fun playing the "what did i do last night" game though...

SL__72
09-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Obviously you've never woken up drunk.

Slow Play Ray
Hangover cure (http://www.bottledwaterstore.com/vitaminwater.htm)

*Edit* Specifically Revive. Advil helps too.

Edge34
Just throw one or two back to take the edge off, you'll feel better in no time. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 11:09 AM
lol, I actually use to experiment and try to find the worst possible thing to drink while hungover...

Citris is close, but I think V8 is about the worst. It takes the tapping in your head and turns it into jackhammers.

Drink a V8.

asofel
09-21-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you've never woken up drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, you don't know me. My blood type is BarleyHopsYeast+

mslif
09-21-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can they get worse with time?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
always fun playing the "what did i do last night" game though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Blackouts... Good times /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just drink plenty of fluids and keep the headache medicine near by.

asofel
09-21-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can they get worse with time?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
always fun playing the "what did i do last night" game though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Blackouts... Good times /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just drink plenty of fluids and keep the headache medicine near by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've been through 3 glasses of water and working on second cup of coffee now. And it wasn't so much a blackout as "did i really talk all that [censored] on IRC and go play triple draw against a student of Lederer?"

triple draw of course referring to Taco Bell.

Shajen
09-21-2005, 11:12 AM
the older you get, the worse they are.

Sad but true.

steelcmg
09-21-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just throw one or two back to take the edge off, you'll feel better in no time. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought people where full of crap when they said this before but after i tried it i must say it does work like a charm.

asofel
09-21-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought people where full of crap when they said this before but after i tried it i must say it does work like a charm.

[/ QUOTE ]

true true. But as chill as my job is, I don't think they'd appreciate me downing a few bloody mary's at my desk.

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Sad but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

steelcmg
09-21-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true true. But as chill as my job is, I don't think they'd appreciate me downing a few bloody mary's at my desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

U will never know until u try my friend.

Wes ManTooth
09-21-2005, 11:20 AM
too much drunken pyramid?

asofel
09-21-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U will never know until u try my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. i'm still working the "beers while coding on friday afternoon" line into normal practice.

SmileyEH
09-21-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've been through 3 glasses of water and working on second cup of coffee now

[/ QUOTE ]

Coffee is bad because it's a diuretic and won't help you get water back into your water. Drink water or gatorate - something like that. Also take a shot of something. The primary reason for hangover symptoms is your body's withdrawl from alchohol-give it a little taste to help it along. Also, taking tylenol is horrible - it interacts with your liver to basically destroy it. Asprin and Ibuprofen are ok, but seriously stay away from tylenol.

-SmileyEH

asofel
09-21-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
too much drunken pyramid?

[/ QUOTE ]

not this time. Thankfully the roomate thought it wise to ask me why I was sleeping on the couch...I'm still trying to figure that one out though...

eastbay
09-21-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The primary reason for hangover symptoms is your body's withdrawl from alchohol

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's right.

I think the primary symptoms are gastrointestinal irritation from ethanol (pukiness) combined with severe dehydration and nutrient depletion (headaches). This is why hosptial remedies like the "banana bag" (IV with saline and nutrients) are so effective.

There is no such thing as short term "withdrawal". Physical dependence takes much longer periods of exposure.

eastbay

Soul Daddy
09-21-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Sad but true.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have experienced the opposite, but maybe that's because I'm not into excess as much as I used to be.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
Coffee is bad because it's a diuretic and won't help you get water back into your water. Drink water or gatorate - something like that. Also take a shot of something. The primary reason for hangover symptoms is your body's withdrawl from alchohol-give it a little taste to help it along. Also, taking tylenol is horrible - it interacts with your liver to basically destroy it. Asprin and Ibuprofen are ok, but seriously stay away from tylenol.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

actually if you check the label on most headache meds they contain caffeine because it helps constrict the blood vessels, which is key. Drink a nice big cold Coke. The liquid, sugar and caffeine are just what you need. Yes, caffeine's a diuretic, but you'll still rehydrate.

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sad but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, i'm never going to be THAT old.../images/graemlins/grin.gif

SL__72
09-21-2005, 11:29 AM
That seems more like an "it is" post then "I think."

Why does a small amount of alcohol seem to help then?

RunDownHouse
09-21-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
actually if you check the label on most headache meds they contain caffeine because it helps constrict the blood vessels, which is key.

[/ QUOTE ]
And because some significant number of headachesare caused by caffeine withdrawal.

Shajen
09-21-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sad but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to say that. Then I turned 7. Damn, I feel old.

asofel
09-21-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sad but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to say that. Then I turned 7. Damn, I feel old.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. don't worry, jakes got to have a couple on you...

Victor
09-21-2005, 12:20 PM
gatorade is a great cure.

asofel
09-21-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gatorade is a great cure.

[/ QUOTE ]

true true. The waters kicking in and things are starting to come into focus....kinda.....

dcasper70
09-21-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

actually if you check the label on most headache meds they contain caffeine because it helps constrict the blood vessels, which is key. Drink a nice big cold Coke . The liquid, sugar and caffeine are just what you need. Yes, caffeine's a diuretic, but you'll still rehydrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

The syrup in coke/pepsi also does a fantastic job settling the stomach. I prefer to drink it flat when hungover, the carbonation doesn't seem to help my innards.

Shajen
09-21-2005, 12:52 PM
My hangover cure is probably odd:

1 very large glass of water
4 aspirin
1 Double Quarter Pounder w/Cheese
Medium fries
Diet Coke
(all from McDs) I dunno why, but this combo seems to do the trick. Not BK, or Wendys, or Fat Burger, or anywhere else. It has to be McDonalds.

The weird thing is I hardly ever eat McDs unless I'm hungover. It's nasty.

miajag81
09-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Yes they are often worse after a couple hours than when you first wake up (probably because you are often still a little drunk when you first wake up). As for hangover cures, I find the best is Orange or Lemon-Lime Gatorade, and lots of it.

eastbay
09-21-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That seems more like an "it is" post then "I think."

Why does a small amount of alcohol seem to help then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alcohol is a powerful pain killer.

That remedy doesn't work me though, makes me feel even shittier.

eastbay

eastbay
09-21-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

4 aspirin
Medium fries
Diet Coke
(all from McDs) I dunno why, but this combo seems to do the trick. Not BK, or Wendys, or Fat Burger, or anywhere else. It has to be McDonalds.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can eat that, you aren't even close to hung over.

eastbay

HtotheNootch
09-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Dr. Pepper and lots of it.

bravos1
09-21-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

4 aspirin
Medium fries
Diet Coke

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can eat that, you aren't even close to hung over.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

True... and I didn't realize that they sold aspirin at McD's /images/graemlins/tongue.gif