PDA

View Full Version : 2405fpw/dual monitor problem

kenberman
09-21-2005, 08:10 AM
I just set up my 2405fpw, along side a 17 inch 4:3 Samsung LCD.

The trouble is that I can only get the resolution of the 2405 up to a max of 1600x1200, and I also don't think my PC/video card knows this is a wide screen. I doubt that my video card can't display 1920x1200 (in fact, I tried setting this up as a custom resolution)...can anyone help.

here is my video card:

Nvidia GEForce FX5500
I have it set-up to Nvidia DualView
Memory Size: 256MB
Bios: Version 4.34.20.69.00

RollaJ
09-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Did it work at 1920x1200 when connected alone?
Did you follow the directions that came with the 2405 on the CD?

BTW, got my 2405 yesterday.....Awesome! Im still giddy when I sit down in front of it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW2, Mine worked right out of the box, I have win xp home with onboard video, so I doubt its your video card

kenberman
09-21-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did it work at 1920x1200 when connected alone?
Did you follow the directions that came with the 2405 on the CD?

BTW, got my 2405 yesterday.....Awesome! Im still giddy when I sit down in front of it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW2, Mine worked right out of the box, I have win xp home with onboard video, so I doubt its your video card

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly didn't try hooking it up alone...I'll give that a shot.

and, I followed the directions on the color pamphlet (hook up dvi, then usb, then power, etc).

maybe I'll start over.

it is a beautiful monitor...I just wish I could get it to display correctly.

MikeTexas
09-21-2005, 09:44 AM
How do you guys like this monitor? Im thinking about getting one but I've read several reviews where people have complained about a high pitch ringing from the power source. Have either of you experienced this with your 2405fpws?

Also, since the max resolution on these is 1900x1200 does that mean that the poker tables will be displayed slightly larger then they would with a smaller monitor like the 2001fp?

Do either of you have a 2001fp? And if so, how much better do you like this monitor?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to be sure about this before I shell out 1K.

Thanks

-Mike

kenberman
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys like this monitor? Im thinking about getting one but I've read several reviews where people have complained about a high pitch ringing from the power source. Have either of you experienced this with your 2405fpws?

Also, since the max resolution on these is 1900x1200 does that mean that the poker tables will be displayed slightly larger then they would with a smaller monitor like the 2001fp?

Do either of you have a 2001fp? And if so, how much better do you like this monitor?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to be sure about this before I shell out 1K.

Thanks

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I just hooked it up, but I have heard no "power" complaint.

yes, the tables will be larger than on a 2001fp, but not by too much (math tell me this, since I don't have a 2001fp).

the monitor is the 'latest and greatest' from Dell, meaning is has better specs, across the board, then the 2001fp. it's also widescreen, which makes it MUCH better for DVD/HDTV watching.

now, it does take up more room on the desk than the 2001fp, and as far as poker goes, doesn't actually give you that much more space. you'll gain a strip of a few inches on the side of the screen, which you can use for IM, or some other applications that don't take up a lot of space. so I could actually see that as an argument for the 2100fp: it takes up less desk space, and 4 tables 90% as well as the 2005.

re: price, I would wait if you can. I just bought a nice Dimension 9100 + 2405fpw for $1150 all-in. I can easily sell the PC for $650, leaving me with the monitor for $500. this was a pretty sweet deal, and I was luck to jump on it, but similar ones come up where you could clear the monitor for $600-$700 (after PC sale).

RollaJ
09-21-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I just hooked it up, but I have heard no "power" complaint.

yes, the tables will be larger than on a 2001fp, but not by too much (math tell me this, since I don't have a 2001fp).

the monitor is the 'latest and greatest' from Dell, meaning is has better specs, across the board, then the 2001fp. it's also widescreen, which makes it MUCH better for DVD/HDTV watching.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/wink.gif

kenberman
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM
so, can anyone help /images/graemlins/confused.gif

kenberman
09-21-2005, 05:07 PM
according to this (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=556741&highlight=2405fpw) thread at Avs forum, my video card won't d0 1920x1200 via DVI...looks like I'll have to go through VGA.

kinda sucks. oh well.