PDA

View Full Version : Concepts - How they came about?

POKhER
09-21-2005, 05:03 AM
I wondered,

Who "discovered" lines such as WA/WB? Etc?

What i've found is i'm misapplying lines because i dont have a understanding of the concepts.

As Micro Forum has hands posted and occasional discussions on why WA/WB is good vs other lines, it doesn't have explanations for all the lines.

Will i find these in HEFAP? I think i need to read more books rather than reading/posting in here as im always messing up lines (Applyin WA/WB in the wrong circumstances, Calling down when i should be 3betting to get read on opponant Etc).

so in one sentence, Im asking where these lines can be found? HEFAP? Also going to make myself read SSH Fully (Ive only read chunks /images/graemlins/blush.gif).

Thanks guys,
POKhER.

Nick Royale
09-21-2005, 05:52 AM
You shouldn't be reading HEFAP. Read SSH again and again. I can't recall reading about the specific line WA/WB in any of these books, but I'm sure the thinking in the situation where WA/WB applies is discussed in HEFAP (maybe SSH too) but it was some time ago since I read these.

I could give you an explanation on when to apply WA/WB, if you're interested?

POKhER
09-21-2005, 06:05 AM
I've found

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=2206499&page= 1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Which looks good so ill read that later.

Now i'm interested in how they came about?

I wont get HEFAP untill atleast Xmas and even then i may not be good enough to understand more advanced concepts. I've just started reading SSH this morning so ill read an hour a day every day for the next few months (Re-reading the book) and see if i can fix some leaks.

I'm only a .25/.50 > .5/1 player but its important i fix these before going to 1/2 and id also like to make maximum at .5/1 not to forget generally WANTING TO PLAY GOOD POKER.

If you do have time, feel free to discuss it but you may be repeating the thread link above so i'd not want you to waste your time?

On that note, could you go back to where you correct my "implied odds" and clear up my confusion
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ?

Nick Royale
09-21-2005, 06:21 AM
That thread seems good!

HEFAP was the first poker book I ever read, that was a mistake. Now I play 3/6 and it's concepts still don't apply (well some does). I'm pretty sure you'll only get confused and start misapplying concepts by reading HEFAP. When you've read SSH 3 or more times I think you could start thinking about HEFAP. And then you're probably reading it mostly for fun and to have something to think about, since the information provided by it won't apply to the games you play in. I would suggest you read SSH a couple of times and then read other books like ToP and maybe PoP.

EDIT:
ToP = Theory of Poker
PoP = Psychology of Poker

POKhER
09-21-2005, 06:30 AM
I'm thinking of getting:
Weighing the odds & [insert name here]

I currently have ITH(Internet Texas Hold'em) & SSH

Off to read that thread now, and your implied odd's reponses.

Thanks for your help.

09-21-2005, 06:36 AM
a little off topic but is ITH worth a read?

POKhER
09-21-2005, 07:03 AM
SSH is better and covers more topics but ITH is "Nicer" to read IMO(As in i find SSH often uses words/setences that are confusing VS ITH. HOWEVER IT MAY BE DUE TO SSH COVERING ADVANCED CONCEPTS THAT ITH DOESN'T COVER hence harder to read is actually wrong?)

ITH may be a bit tighter than SSH and im not sure if its weak, i havent read the book for a while so can't comment to much.

Heres a example from ITH preflop quiz:
"$15-$30 Game,
You Hold A/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif UTG what do you do?
Answer: Fold, ATo is not profitable UTG. "

i wonder if many 2+2ers would disagree?

Anyhow, take a look at his site and see the contents. It has some nice little bits about game selection/Bankroll management/playing for a living/site-game selection.

I've not read it for ages so forget how good/bad it is to be honest.

KingOtter
09-21-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SSH is better and covers more topics but ITH is "Nicer" to read IMO(As in i find SSH often uses words/setences that are confusing VS ITH. HOWEVER IT MAY BE DUE TO SSH COVERING ADVANCED CONCEPTS THAT ITH DOESN'T COVER hence harder to read is actually wrong?)

ITH may be a bit tighter than SSH and im not sure if its weak, i havent read the book for a while so can't comment to much.

Heres a example from ITH preflop quiz:
"$15-$30 Game,
You Hold A/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif UTG what do you do?
Answer: Fold, ATo is not profitable UTG. "

i wonder if many 2+2ers would disagree?

Anyhow, take a look at his site and see the contents. It has some nice little bits about game selection/Bankroll management/playing for a living/site-game selection.

I've not read it for ages so forget how good/bad it is to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

$15/30 is NOT Small Stakes Hold'em.

KO

jrz1972
09-21-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't be reading HEFAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that HEPAP isn't good reading for somebody relatively new to the game, but I really do think it's worth a few reads after you've got a good handle on things. Large chunks of it aren't applicable to microlimit games, but a good player should be able to recognize the concepts that don't apply and pick out the ones that do.

FWIW, WA/WB is in HEPAP. ("Waiting To Raise" IIRC).

jrz1972
09-21-2005, 09:16 AM
ITH is definitely worth a read and is a very good book for somebody who's still just learning the basics.

You shouldn't be getting overly hung up on any one specific example hand, but yeah ATo is an automuck UTG basically all the time. (Full ring).