PDA

View Full Version : moving from NL25 to NL50

cs3
09-21-2005, 04:58 AM
i should probably start by saying that i did use the search and read up a lot on this topic before posting. i just want some final confirmation for if/when i make the move.

some background:

i started playing online in early may with an initial deposit of $75 at Party. i didnt know what i was doing, played some limit, some no limit, omaha8, SNGs etc, and played very poorly. i was soon down to my final $25 ad didnt play for over a long while, nearly deciding to call it quits.

i then discovered 2+2 and did a months worth of reading the forums, along with all the online aricles i could find plus a couple books reccomemed here. i began playing again in late june and stuck exclusively to Party NL25 6max. i fully expected to lose my final $25 and was ready to redeposit with a roll of $200. but i started off winning a little and then started winning a lot playing 2 tables 6max. i've built up my $25 roll to about $500 now (i know its meager but gotta start somewhere) over maybe 5k-6k hands. i dont have an exact count because my HD crashed and i lost my hand histories for july but i have ~4000 for august/september and i play far more often now then i did before.

since ive been runing well i decided i wanted to give $50NL 6-max a shot. i would watch several50NL tables for a couple hours just to get a feel for the betting. also i would play a single table at a time, so i would have the same amount of money in play that i do now, and move back down if i dropped to $350. if i win consistently i would go to 2 tables.

does this sound reasonable? or should i stick to the $25 longer?

if i do move up, should i play exactly the same as i do now at the 25? (of coarse adjusting betting up accordingly)
any specific differences in the play i should be aware of?
thanks!

element00
09-21-2005, 05:01 AM
20 buy ins.

6k isn't a huge sample to prove a winning rate either, keep going at 25's til you're up to 1k.

Malachii
09-21-2005, 05:03 AM
You're ready, and if you're not you'll just have to keep trying until you are. Give it a shot but set a stop loss point.

cs3
09-21-2005, 05:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're ready, and if you're not you'll just have to keep trying until you are. Give it a shot but set a stop loss point.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats my gut feeling but i just wanted some confirmation that the game is just as beatable as the 25.

if i was to drop to $350 (3 buy-ins) i would move back down immediately

whittiphil
09-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Fim had this to say:
[ QUOTE ]

first off you should never view it as a quantum leap kinda thing. just take little shots when you feel comfortable, have the money and are good enough. here's a hand waving yardstick:

try 50NL when:

- you're confident in your preflop game
- you understand position
- you have a good idea of their hand by the river
- you have an ok feel when to continuation bet
- you have 500 or more

100NL when:

- you're confident playing draws
- you can spot good semibluff opportunities
- you can lay down AA/KK unimproved
- you're attacking the blinds in easy steal situations
- you have 1200+

200NL when:

- you're ok betting your stack on a draw
- a PFR from you doesnt always mean AA-JJ and AQs+
- you're starting to play one hand while holding another
- you have more than one mode
- you have 3000 or more

400NL when:

- you can ID profitable preflop steals
- you know how to pick between b3b and c/r
- position factors heavily into your play
- you're good at manipulating pot size
- you have 6000+

1K NL when

- your lines don't define your hand
- you're good at playing and winning lots of small pots
- your oop opponent must hold a strong hand to win a pot from you
- you understand the real math of the game at least at a basal level
- you have 20000+

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3248374&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1

cs3
09-21-2005, 05:39 AM
thanks just what i was looking for!

Malachii
09-21-2005, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

thats my gut feeling but i just wanted some confirmation that the game is just as beatable as the 25.

if i was to drop to $350 (3 buy-ins) i would move back down immediately

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good plan then. Good luck to you CS3.