PDA

View Full Version : Right time for slowplay?

NaobisDad
09-21-2005, 04:43 AM
$100 NL6MAX

game got 4 handed. Opponentin this hand was ok. Got caught bluffing a monotonous board once, seen him get out of line with small cards once. Never saw him commit all his chips without a lock. He started raising more loosely when we got down to four.

I have been rather tight, build up my stack gradually, i've been raising KJs and up, and calling with about the same range as far as the table knows. Guess I haven't been abnormally agressive postflop. I often check folded.

UTG Folds. Villain ($100) riases $3 SB folds I ($150) call with QQ in the BB.

Flop comes Q86 r. I check, he bets $7, I call.

Turn is 2o.

I check, he checks behind...

River is 9.

I bet $10, he raises $50 I push in...

Thoughts?

Malachii
09-21-2005, 05:00 AM
I would bet the turn 100% of the time. At least half the pot. Giving a hand like JT a free card to stack you can't be good poker... I don't like the smooth call preflop either.

wall_st
09-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Pre flop, I like re raising here, but calling is ok too. You could easily get him to overplay some sort of weak top pair.

Flop, flat calling is not horrible, but you are oop and need to have some sort of plan for the turn. My normal line here would be to check raise then lead turn. Leading the flop is probably horrible. Check calling flop then leading turn is probably a good line.

Turn, DON'T CHECK!!!! Unless you are 1,000,000,000% positive he would bet here.

River, what does your all in accomplish ? I read a post by El Diablo recently that said river raises that do not get (a) better hands to fold or (b) worse hands to call accomplish nothing. Unless he loved to bluff rivers his $50 raise screams "OMFG I HAVE THE NUTS AND I AM GOING TO MAKE YOU MY HUCKLEBERRY!" Most people are not going to raise this crazy with just top pair or two pair.

TheWorstPlayer
09-21-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Right time for slowplay?

[/ QUOTE ]
I only read this much, but the answer is no.

yvesaint
09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
No slowplay. Betting on the flop/turn automatically forces river bets to be bigger, which is good. If he doesn't have anything, doesn't want to draw, there's no point in giving him free cards. It's unlikely he's going to hit some weird 2-pair, and you don't want to give odds for some OESD.

Just bet. Any Q probably stays, and it just makes it easier to get more in on the river against lower set/2-pair, that might let go if you push hard on the river, or plays real passively.

Yeknom58
09-21-2005, 11:11 AM
I generally bet the flop here hoping to get raised.

jjacky
09-21-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right time for slowplay?

[/ QUOTE ]
I only read this much, but the answer is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i love this post. unsurprisingly you are right. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-21-2005, 11:23 AM
I agree, bet the turn.