PDA

View Full Version : One Hit Wonder

09-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Talk 'bout being a one hit wonder. (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=469) Did he stop playing entirely after his one and only hit?

She is better if you asked me. (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=22497) But you didn't ask me.

TheBlueMonster
09-21-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Talk 'bout being a one hit wonder. (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=469) Did he stop playing entirely after his one and only hit?

She is better if you asked me. (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=22497) But you didn't ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, duh

Dynasty
09-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Varkoni won some small tournament later in 2002. I don't know why it's not on the database.

Varkoni isn't a pro. He plays recreationally.

afish
09-21-2005, 04:41 AM
With all the exposure tournaments have had, it should be readily apparent that there is a large luck factor, and that those that play more win more. Since there's no way to know how many tournaments people are entering, there's really no way to know whether the repeat winners are even ahead.

Sykes
09-21-2005, 06:14 AM
Evelyn does not have 2 million plus the recognizition of being a world champion. She is just another attractive female poker player. Wake me up when she final tables a huge event.

09-21-2005, 07:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn does not have 2 million plus the recognizition of being a world champion. She is just another attractive female poker player. Wake me up when she final tables a huge event.

[/ QUOTE ]

we like you better when you're not awake.

Daliman
09-21-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn does not have 2 million plus the recognizition of being a world champion. She is just another attractive female poker player. Wake me up when she final ANY tables event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate these, but FYP.

30-40 player tournaments do not qualify as a "final table" to most.

And I'd take Varkonyi vs her anyways, and I don't think lots of his game.

Daliman
09-21-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn does not have 2 million plus the recognizition of being a world champion. She is just another attractive female poker player. Wake me up when she final ANY tables event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate these, but FYP.

30-40 player tournaments do not qualify as a "final table" to most.

And I'd take Varkonyi vs her anyways, and I don't think lots of his game.

[/ QUOTE ]

More reason to hate those. My FYP needs a FYP.

toddshrop
09-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Varkonyi was never very big on poker, I read somewhere that the real player is his wife and she got him into the game. Im also pretty sure Varkonyi didnt quit his job and play the curcuit which might be a reason why you dont see any other big tournament cashes.. he has always been a recreational player

Kevmath
09-23-2005, 08:53 PM
There was a documentary called Poker Kings that came out a couple years ago and it showed Varkonyi looking for work AFTER he won his WSOP bracelet.

TheBob
09-23-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Varkonyi was never very big on poker, I read somewhere that the real player is his wife and she got him into the game. Im also pretty sure Varkonyi didnt quit his job and play the curcuit which might be a reason why you dont see any other big tournament cashes.. he has always been a recreational player

[/ QUOTE ]

His wife was doing pretty well in this year's main event if my memory serves me.

Quicksilvre
09-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, he seems to be the kind of guy who just wants to chill out (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=14859&m_id=65567) when he's playing poker, and hit a hot streak at the right time. I really don't see him slumming through the tourneament trail; has he ever done any major event other than the WSOP Main Event?

MicroBob
09-23-2005, 10:53 PM
you forgot to mention:

1. PokerKings was one of the worst programs about poker EVER!

(not sure if you agree about this...but I thought it sucked...maybe I would have liked it better if it had been more accurately titled...something like "Poker Rejects" or something)

2. Varkoni observed that it was dififcult for him to get a job BECAUSE of his WSOP win (because of the negative image associated with gambling/poker). He failed to realize that a big contributing factor to his inability to land a job might have also included his total dweebishness and awful interviewing skills.
The parts of his interview (with whatever company it was) that they showed in Poker Kings were REALLY painful to watch.
Then he complained that winning the WSOP was keeping from landing gainful employment.
Ummm...no Robert...it's because you totally suck at interviewing.

istewart
09-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Evelyn Ng sucks.

Photoc
09-23-2005, 11:12 PM
The funniest part of this thread is that when I saw the subject line in the forum, I knew it was about Varkoni without even opening it up.

Jeremy517
09-23-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was a documentary called Poker Kings that came out a couple years ago and it showed Varkonyi looking for work AFTER he won his WSOP bracelet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering his after-tax total will barely be over a million, it shouldn't be a surprise that he can't retire with that alone.

Beavis68
09-24-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Evelyn does not have 2 million plus the recognizition of being a world champion. She is just another female poker player. Wake me up when she final tables a huge event.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

and I was kind....

Atarirob
09-24-2005, 12:56 AM
I stood behind him in line when I was regestering for the main event. Was in line for maybe 20 minutes, no one noticed him at all. The funny part was it didn't click in my head that it was Varkonyi til I saw the geeky MIT "poker coach" with him.

09-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Well the thing about one-hit wonders, at least they had one hit.

Regarding Evelyn Ng. I don't know how complete those results are, but if you look at those winnings over the last 2 years, how many tournament entry fees do you think they pay for?

Daliman
09-24-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well the thing about one-hit wonders, at least they had one hit.

Regarding Evelyn Ng. I don't know how complete those results are, but if you look at those winnings over the last 2 years, how many tournament entry fees do you think they pay for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably all of them, or at least any that have TV potential.

09-24-2005, 03:36 PM
The results show about $100k winnings over 2 years ($70k if you take out the buy-ins for those tournaments alone). For someone who's a regular or semi-regular on the WPT, there's no way that's a profitable record.