PDA

View Full Version : Help Please....PL OM Hi Question

Rianna
09-21-2005, 02:24 AM
Help please...

I know if you flop esp. top set you are supposed to pot it, and allow a drawing price of only 2-1 or so..

In a Multiway pot where you have flopped top set QQ and the board has _not_ only a flush draw ie... Qc Jc 2h two clubs, is this a time to NOT bet the pot and see what develops on the turn before being 'pot committed' and not being able to get away from the hand? ( because if a 'bad card' falls on the turn, ie unpaired club, 8, T, 9, K etc. it's unlikely you will then get the 3-1 needed to redraw out and fill up with 1 to come).

In this scenario, there are 3 (or more) callers after the flop, you would be in middle position and there are no short stacks. You have no 'blockers' (clubs, 8,9,T,K's ) in your hand

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated, Thank You.

barongreenback
09-21-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure whether you're suggesting betting less than the pot or checking. How to play this hand is not set in stone but if I was checking it wouldn't be for the reasons you give.

Usually you will have the best of of extra money going in on the flop so the default is to take advantage of this. It's true that your set will have the maximum value vs draws on a blank turn. It would be a pity for the pot to be small in this case. More so if the turn pairs.

Betting the flop may create extra blanks if you get draws to fold (opponents may not call with weak flush draws or gutshots or OESDs afraid of clubs). You may gain position. If multiple opponents call , their draws may overlap which improves your equity.

It's big topic and depends on the specifics but generally you shouldn't be afraid to play for more money if you have an edge. Put yourself in the shoes of a draw or smaller set and consider what you would most like to happen in this situation.

James

09-21-2005, 10:48 AM
If you are OOP here, I like CR the flop and then half to full potting a safe turn. By CRing you might be able to clear out a couple of the draws.

Lafortezza
09-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I'd c/r too if in EP, you might get a flush draw or straight draw value betting to increase the pot if they hit their draw, a c/r might not get them out but it'll give them bad drawing odds.
Only problem is that the c/r might commit a large amount of your stack and if the turn comes a bad card for you, you'll have tough decision to make.