PDA

View Full Version : Your Initial Reaction to Losing?

MSUcougar
09-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Hypothetical situation:

Your day is going pretty bad, you can't seem to win anything.

You have 8-10 BB with 5 left and push AQ. Big stack calls and you lose to:

AK (dominated)
AJ (dominating)
88 (coinflip)
K4 (the "wtf is he calling my push for" hand)

What's your initial reaction after the hand is over and does it affect you any differently to lose to a dominated/dominating/coinflip hand?

Don't reply with "it doesn't bother me, I just move on" unless you're REALLY that desensitized to losing. You need to have that mindset to succeed in SNGs longterm, but I'm curious about those first few seconds after the hand's over.

I personally almost always yell something fairly loudly and it particularly annoys me to be called by a dominated hand and get sucked out on in spots like that... I've yet to actually break anything but I've sure wanted to.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

splashpot
09-21-2005, 02:07 AM
I'm only somewhat pissed if they call with crap. If he was justified for calling, it usually doesn't bother me.

MSUcougar
09-21-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm only somewhat pissed if they call with crap. If he was justified for calling, it usually doesn't bother me.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol I edited my post to include that before seeing this reply... and yes, that annoys me too.

eastbay
09-21-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

AK (dominated)

[/ QUOTE ]

f7ck!

[ QUOTE ]

AJ (dominating)

[/ QUOTE ]

nice... oh, f7ck!

[ QUOTE ]

88 (coinflip)

[/ QUOTE ]

ace, queen, ace, queen... f7ck!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you stupid f7ck!

Two seconds later I get over it.

eastbay

WebGuySteve
09-21-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There it is. Thats the one that bugs me the most. Then it also bugs me on coinflips that are of the same manner. Like I have 22, and he calls my push with K3, or JT when I have 88.

I think anything where the other guy made the correct play, and there was nothing either of us could have done, those don't bug me.

I think this is particularily interesting because when people call with trash they shouldn't be calling with...thats how we make our money! Yet, we get pissed by it, heh.

splashpot
09-21-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AK (dominated)

[/ QUOTE ]

f7ck!

[ QUOTE ]

AJ (dominating)

[/ QUOTE ]

nice... oh, f7ck!

[ QUOTE ]

88 (coinflip)

[/ QUOTE ]

ace, queen, ace, queen... f7ck!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you stupid f7ck!

Two seconds later I get over it.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so accurate, it's scary.

bluefeet
09-21-2005, 02:26 AM
EYE
DON'T
WATCH

as soon as i push, i min the screen, and go about business at another table (or here /images/graemlins/wink.gif). soon enough, i'll get the "you lost your ass - OK" button...or prompted to act in the next hand (with my nice big pile of new-found chips!).

i simply do not care to see how/which way the "sucking" went. i pushed because i felt is was the proper thing to do. at that point, it's out of my hands.

applejuicekid
09-21-2005, 02:32 AM
For some reason the K4 "wtf is he calling my push for" are the ones that bother me the least. Those make me laugh a little and I move on. Losing to a worse ace bothers me a lot. And losing 16 coinflips in a row makes me want to cry. Running into AK is just annoying.

citanul
09-21-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is so accurate, it's scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, he's got it down pretty much. depending on my mood, i either:

a) bang my hand on the desk
b) drink some water
c) go "[censored]"
d) laugh

but pretty much it's like eastbay said.

sometimes i actually say "meh" or "blah."

citanul

lorinda
09-21-2005, 02:57 AM
See Bugstud's avatar.

Lori

45suited
09-21-2005, 03:00 AM
You mean like when I just lost heads up with even stacks and my push with K9 was called by J6???

If I'm in a good mood, I merely feel my entire body get very warm.

If I'm in a bad mood, I tend to slam my fist on my desk.

(Incidentally, I almost made a post one time about being the biggest idiot in the world. I nearly broke my hand when I thought that I had gotten sucked out on again on the river for like the gazillionth time that day. All-in pre-flop, I hit my pair, villain hits two pair on the river. CRAP!!! Slam fist on desk really hard. Oh wait, the chips are sliding my way. Hey, I HAVE A STRAIGHT!!! Oh [censored], I think I broke my hand... all cuz I can't read the damn board. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif )

Chaostracize
09-21-2005, 03:06 AM
Yeah. I've just started slamming my fists on the desk. I like how everything shakes a little bit, and I have some loose change that jangles, and it calms me down pretty quick so I can lose on another table with quiet dignity.

Easybay has it down to a T, though.

Freudian
09-21-2005, 03:41 AM
Yesterday I got AA in a SnG and a guy before had pushed with 98s. He won. I rebuild my stack and find AA again in SB in level 4. It is folded to me and I limp. The same guy pushes from BB and I call. He has 77 and rivers a 7.

Since I was on a ten buyin drop at the time I got pretty annoyed with god, the universe and everything. So I took a break after that set and then actually went back and made a profit for the day.

I don't get violent or scream. Basically I just sigh loudly, think about typing something in the chat and in 99% of the cases decide not to (and the last 1% isn't really mean, just "of course" "should have figured" etc). I am pretty calm by nature and I would have to be pounded by bad luck for a whole day for it to bring me out of balance. It must be a nightmare for those who are really tempramental.

z32fanatic
09-21-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MissE
09-21-2005, 04:10 AM
I turn into a baby. I get pissed and yell [censored] loudly and my boyfriend knows to ignore me for awhile. Then if it was a super retard that jacked me I stay and heckle them for awhile until they lose and it makes me feel better.

pergesu
09-21-2005, 04:33 AM
I don't get bothered by the beats. Don't have a reaction to them. Until I get a string of em, like three or four in a couple minutes, or I bust out of a couple straight tourneys like that. Then I just send Bones a message that looks like "Dude. asdkjfhasdlkjhfalskdjhf"

Hornacek
09-21-2005, 09:12 AM
If I'm playing 4-8 games, I don't usually notice if I'm busy at another table... oh well.

the_joker
09-21-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

AK (dominated)
AJ (dominating)
88 (coinflip)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's poker.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Add this guy to my buddy list /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sir..please
09-21-2005, 09:28 AM
if losing causes you to think about breaking things, you really should give up, because that's the challenge of poker- keeping your head when you lose even though you made the correct decisions. You must be suscetptible to tilt, if you lose your head so easily. Yes i know it's frustrating when idiots call with fnck all but it's these idiots that are in the long run losing, and us who make correct decisions who are winning.

kevstreet
09-21-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes i know it's frustrating when idiots call with fnck all but it's these idiots that are in the long run losing, and us who make correct decisions who are winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure I've heard this before, not sure where?

Ixnert
09-21-2005, 09:39 AM
AK and 88, them's the breaks. I got called by a better hand. I move on.

K4, I roll my eyes a bit, make a note on that player, and start up a new tournament.

AJ, I'll admit, I get a little miffed by, but that's just because my internal pattern mapper keeps telling me I lose a lot more that I should to hands I'm dominating, and won't listen to reason (that I'm just imagining that). I'll groan a bit, probably wait a little while before starting up the tournament to take the place of that one to be a bit more sure I'm ready to move on (I play continuously, so normal would be to immediately start up another to replace the one I was just knocked out of).

It's when that last one doesn't bother me, even in the moment, that I'll know I've got the right mindset down.

Pudge714
09-21-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
EYE
DON'T
WATCH

as soon as i push, i min the screen, and go about business at another table (or here /images/graemlins/wink.gif). soon enough, i'll get the "you lost your ass - OK" button...or prompted to act in the next hand (with my nice big pile of new-found chips!).

i simply do not care to see how/which way the "sucking" went. i pushed because i felt is was the proper thing to do. at that point, it's out of my hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats a great idea, unfortunately I know I don't have the discpline to do that and even if I minimize the screen I will probably look at the hand history when it is over. The other problem is if you are pushing against a guy who you have no notes or reads on, you are potentially losing important information which will help you later.

MSUcougar
09-21-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then if it was a super retard that jacked me I stay and heckle them for awhile until they lose and it makes me feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense to you, but it really annoys me when people take the time to stick around after busting just to be an idiot in the chatbox... especially at the higher limits...

willie
09-21-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've yet to actually break anything but I've sure wanted to.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you handle stuff better than i do, i go through swings. sometimes i just shrug, othertimes i get pretty po'd.

headphones are usually the victim. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jeffraider
09-21-2005, 08:15 PM
My reaction to a loss is definitely affected by how many tables I've got left and what shape they're in. If I've got three or more left and a couple of them are in decent shape then I'm a little zen butterfly. I smile beatifically and nod and sometimes will even say "nice hand, sir, very nice hand," aloud. I spend another five seconds or so thinking about how I went broke and whether it was a good play or not. I move on to the next flashing screen with a smile and hope blooming in my heart.

If I only have a table or two left, or all of my remaining tables are short-stacked and in bad shape, I tend to react a little differently. The first instant reaction is to SMASH my fist onto my desk, shaking both monitors and normally shrieking at the top of my lungs an innovative combo curse, like duckf*** or *ssturbulentf***ingmothers***f***goddamnit!" I can normally move on after about ten or so seconds but I do tend to fume for a few solid seconds.

09-21-2005, 08:16 PM
I usually say a quick GFD and open another tourney.

johnnybeef
09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have 8-10 BB with 5 left and push AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate pushing with this many bb.

gisb0rne
09-21-2005, 09:04 PM
I think I get more mad when I get called by a better hand because it causes me to doubt my play.

Like I haven't gotten a hand all tourney and I'm down to 6 BB, I push with JJ and get called by AA. WTF.

Or I make some aggressive pushes and get called by crap, but it's crap that dominates me (like say I push with J5 in the SB and he calls with Q5).

stanzee
09-21-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(Incidentally, I almost made a post one time about being the biggest idiot in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would of been no need for that... in my eyes, you already are! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Okay i wont exaggerate, you're not the biggest idiot, but you're up there! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

stanzee
09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
This is WHY i believe i'm mentally one of the best players in the WORLD! Bad beats- who cares? For a forum that hates bad beat posts why let this thread carry on... Mods please lock this up... I'll put in my 0.02 in tho... Doesn't bother me in the slightest if i push with a bad hand and get called and beaten with an equally bad hand. If anything, i'm more annoyed at myslef for not noticing i was pushing into a loose caller rather then getting annoyed with the caller. If i'm raising with a genuine monster and get outdrawn by trash also doesn't affect me in the slightest as i know if it weren't for these morons on party i wouldn't make nearly as much money. Can't see how any half decent player who plays a lot of games would get even slightly annoyed by losing. Not even I (MOI!) can win em all!

bawcerelli
09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
whenever i get sucked out on i just say, wow that guy puckered up almost as good as stanzee does. this is stanzee at the gay bar --> /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

stanzee
09-21-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whenever i get sucked out on i just say, wow that guy puckered up almost as good as stanzee does. this is stanzee at the gay bar --> /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't really let this one go... jibes like this show how either A. Stupid B. Homophobic or C. Insecure you are. I'm quite secure enough in my sexuality that i have on a few occasions walked into gay bars and not thought too much of it and sometimes had a good laugh (London is a very metrosexual place). My love of women always prevail, but have absolutely no problems with people who like it "the other way". Maybe you have a few "insecurities"? No doubt you were probably raised in hillbilly town in the states where gays are burnt on the stake.

09-21-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would of been no need for that... in my eyes, you already are! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Okay i wont exaggerate, you're not the biggest idiot, but you're up there! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Priceless: someone who writes "would of been" while calling someone else an idiot!