PDA

View Full Version : Question

09-21-2005, 02:03 AM
I'm fairly new to poker, so please excuse the noobish question.

In theory, would a player beating the 1-2 or 2-4 for a decent earn be able to successfully do the same at the higher limits given an adaquate BR, provided he excersised maticulous table selection?

I mean, is it that the winning players at those levels are ALOT better, and negate any advantage that the 2-4 player would have over the bad players, or is it simply that there aren't that many bad players at those levels, effectively making the 2-4 players the fish?

It just seems odd to me to see so many obviously intellegent and studious players in the micros (and SS) that have unbelivable knowledge of the game, that aren't playing the higher limits. Is poker alot tougher and more complicated than I imagine? Or is it simply just BR related?

benkath1
09-21-2005, 02:12 AM
I would say both. For most (especially at this level) poker is still just a hobby. Fun, challenging, pays for cool stuff. Some guys like to see how far they can go on a small investment. After losing a couple of hundred, I started over with $10 and am shocked at my success. If I had the bankroll would I play higher? I don't think my game is developed enough to do that yet. But when I think it is, you betcha I'll give it a try, BR permitting.

Hobbies are fun, especially the ones that pay you. (or pay for your other ones /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

09-21-2005, 02:14 AM
I think it's a combination of both. And it seems like a lot of the players move up to higher limits. At least a few of the guys that post in mid-high and play 30-60 online started out playing small stakes online.

jaxUp
09-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Poker is highly comlex. The players that you meet at higher levels will be much etter than the ones at the lower levels. They will be better at reading hands and making adjustments and general strategy. There will always be some brutal players at any level, but on average, the higher you go, the better the players get (true to a degree, proably with exceptions). This is why a lot of players will never win at any level higher than mico-lomits (and most will never win at all). However, I know of quite a few posters in the micros wo either:
a) play higher limits, but still post here
b)could beat a higher limit, but need some more $$ to move up
c)have no desire to move up mas this is just a fun hobby for them

Certainly all of those are legitimate reasons that you see good or even great posters in the micros. Hope this helps.