PDA

View Full Version : Odd hand

Matt Flynn
09-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Highly revved up game, with me doing the revving for the past 2 orbits.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($2084.75)
Hero ($1801.58)
SB ($2019.84)
BB ($663.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $55</font>, BB calls $50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $125</font>, SB calls $65, BB calls $65.

Flop: ($375) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($375) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $250</font>, SB calls $250, BB calls $250.

River: ($1125) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $275</font>, BB calls $275, Hero calls $275.

Final Pot: $195

BobboFitos
09-21-2005, 12:42 AM
sucks when..

[ QUOTE ]
River: ($1125) 6 (4 players)
SB bets $275, BB calls $275, Hero calls $275.

[/ QUOTE ]

you call that to win..

[ QUOTE ]
Final Pot: $195

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wayfare
09-21-2005, 12:45 AM
You must perceive pretty strongly than SB has flop-checked AK on the flop to cause you to only call on the river yes?

SB's river action is either a block (probably pocket pair) or an absolute monster going for an overcall or to induce a three bet.

Have you seen the SB try the weak river lead as trying to induce a three bet? If it's a blocker than he isn't calling much more. Also, stack sizes are such that if you do raise, a push from SB would probably make you throw up all over the keyboard.

I am very curious as to the rationale behind what is the best amount to raise, if raising is indeed the right answer...

Lucky
09-21-2005, 03:45 AM
This is odd. Maybe Villian has QQ and is blocking/value betting on river after puttin on TT?

cardsharkk04
09-21-2005, 04:59 AM
I would just call here too, but why does final pot say $195?

rwperu34
09-21-2005, 06:57 AM
The final pot is, of course, $1950.

I'd say maybe an AQ and a KQ? Maybe even some diamonds? AQ of diamonds? Of course AK is in the mix as well as AA and KK.

Matt Flynn
09-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Yes, final pot was $1950. Anybody play it differently on any street?

Yeti
09-21-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your 3-bet preflop.

flawless_victory
09-21-2005, 09:14 AM
id reraise more pre (go ahead and pot it to win it) and def bet that flop...
youre betting into two ppl here, so its less likely someone is gonna mess with you without the goods, and theres not alot of hands hands that have the goods on thid flop.. seems like just 1/2 pot would be sufficeient given the texture (or lack therof).
turn and river look good, but a river fold may be way expert.

KaneKungFu123
09-21-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would just call here too, but why does final pot say $195?

[/ QUOTE ]

art.

Hattifnatt
09-21-2005, 10:31 AM
I know that Party has higher increased the rake..... but THIS much?

captZEEbo1
09-21-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a river fold may be way expert.

[/ QUOTE ]
or way jackass. The only question is should you be raising river....I think answer might be yes.

rwperu34
09-21-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might reraise more ($200+) preflop to try and knock out the straggler. I might flat call preflop and see where things go. I might play it exactly as you did.

With that preflop action in the game you describe, I am checking behind on this flop under the assumption that anybody who hit anything (and sometimes didn't hit anything) is waiting aroung for a check/raise. I can't beat much of what calls a bet plus my opponents have very few outs if they are behind.

Turn question is how much will they call with less than jacks full?

On the river, I assume you only called since the pot is so big that any raise is commiting the rest of your chips ($1425) to the pot, and it's unlikely (I think) that you can get someone all in with the lead often enough to make it +EV. Can someone call another $1150 (115 big blinds!) in a $3100 pot with KQ or Ax or a straight?

I guess the short answer to your question is yes. I would play it differently on occasion. Of course I could play it the same. 4 handed is so much about tempo of the game and history against your opponents , both short and long term, that I can see this hand go down many different ways.

TheWorstPlayer
09-21-2005, 10:58 AM
You think they call without a boat when you raise two guys there on the river? Seems unlikely. I think a call here is definitely best choice.

bugstud
09-21-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You think they call without a boat when you raise two guys there on the river? Seems unlikely. I think a call here is definitely best choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

QT doesn't call against Matt "lagtacular" flynn?

rwperu34
09-21-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But will he have QT often enough to compensate for the times that someone has KJ, AK, AA, KK? The answer is no. They need to call with a lot less than a straight here to make a push worthwhile.

captZEEbo1
09-21-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But will he have QT often enough to compensate for the times that someone has KJ, AK, AA, KK? The answer is no. They need to call with a lot less than a straight here to make a push worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really thinkign push was best line, but I have a hard time thinking trips or a straight folds to a small raise, although I don't mind calling.

TheWorstPlayer
09-21-2005, 11:23 AM
If you raise, but don't push, are you folding to a push getting insane odds on your call? Seems like you're potentially giving up too much and getting too little to make a raise worthwhile.

captZEEbo1
09-21-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you raise, but don't push, are you folding to a push getting insane odds on your call? Seems like you're potentially giving up too much and getting too little to make a raise worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of any hand that pushes over the top of you on river other than KK? Certianly even AK or KJ should be afraid of you having AAA.

TheWorstPlayer
09-21-2005, 11:34 AM
You have 1200 left, pot is at 1950. What are your specific numbers if you raise? Raise another 500 and fold for 700 more into a ~4K pot? It's possible, of course, but combined with the small chance of actually getting paid off when ahead, it just seems to be very thin.

Matt Flynn
09-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Opponent had gotten sick of me popping him and was reraising weak for an orbit. I caught the jacks with perfect timing and decided to be annoying, that's all.

xorbie
09-21-2005, 12:57 PM
I think the most interesting part of this hand is trying to put BB on a hand range... KQ/KJ? I have a hard time seeing QT call a raise and re-raise without closing the action, and AK/KK/AA is making some noise somewhere.

09-21-2005, 02:59 PM
I would have played the hand the exact same way you did POST flop. I would not have 3 bet that hand preflop but that is a different issue.

There is no way a raise on the river should be considered. Lose the $650 to AK and move on to another hand.

Dominic
09-21-2005, 05:23 PM
only hand i'm worried about is the SB with AK. Hopefully they both just had the 2 other Kings and your hand held up.

Matt Flynn
09-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Bettor had quad kings. I thought no way can I fold this given the images and no way a raise makes sense.

So: Rank for us the validity of:

1. Reraising preflop and comment on size

2. Checking flop

3, Underbetting pot on the turn,

4. Calling an underbet on the river.