PDA

View Full Version : Why is putting people on tilt wrong/unethical?

sternroolz
09-21-2005, 12:25 AM
I'm being told its wrong to put people on tilt. I don't get it. I've put people on tilt by giving them a bad beat, talking to much to other players(no fun! no funny!) and even by just looking at someone the wrong way.

How in the world is putting people on tilt somehow wrong or unethical?

09-21-2005, 12:30 AM
I don't think it's wrong or unethical.

I think it's a sign that the tiltor sucks at poker, and if it's tried at my table, the guy should prepared to be 1) outed for what he's trying to do; and 2) tilted right back, with the whole table joining in, if I can swing it.

A_Junglen
09-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Who tells you it's wrong to put players on tilt? If you can exploit their weakness, then go nuts.

random
09-21-2005, 01:11 AM
It depends on how you're doing it. There is nothing wrong with bad beating someone. If you called their wife a slut, though, this should be seen as obviously wrong.

09-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Its fine to put them on tilt. The fact that some people play based on their feelings is a part of the game. If they get in the game with you, you do what it takes to win - use your strengths and exploit their weaknesses. If tilt is a weakness of theirs, go for it.

Mikey
09-21-2005, 03:45 AM
its not wrong..

einbert
09-21-2005, 03:58 AM
In other news, it's wrong to make people unhappy, angry, sad, or hungry. Because you control them! You are the puppetmaster of their lives! You call the shots!

Next time you're told some ridiculous thing about ethics or morals don't waste our time with it please? This is so simple and easy and doesn't involve any thought at all.

bygmesterf
09-21-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not wrong or unethical, just unprofitable.

einbert
09-21-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like we have another twoplustwo genius child!

Simplistic thinking rules the day! Hurrah!

otter
09-21-2005, 04:45 AM
I don't believe it's wrong at all or unethical, but I rarely go out of my way to do so

09-21-2005, 06:58 AM
It's wrong for them, and unethical to let a sucker keep his money.

steamboatin
09-21-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've put people on tilt by giving them a bad beat, )

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly wrong, you are supposed to be in the hand with the best of it, not sucking out.

[ QUOTE ]
talking to much to other players

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just rude and being rude at the poker table is -EV. Most fish are there to have a good time and if they aren't having fun, they leave or tighten up.

yes, you might get someone on tilt to donate all his chips but you still have to catch cards to get his money. Your share of what He titls away pales in cmparasion to what you lose when the other eight people at the table tighten up or leave and get replaced by better players.

Unless you need to put people on tilt to make you feel better about yourself, this is absolutely -EV behavior.

You can work out the morality on your own, but this definetely costs you money in the long term.

4_2_it
09-21-2005, 08:58 AM
You are right, but the real question is do you feel guilty that your shirt was designed to subconsciously put people on tilt? /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Why is putting people on tilt wrong/unethical?

it's not, it's just annoying.

sternroolz
09-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm rapidly finding out that people have very different definitions of what "tilt" is. I'm also finding that people are bringing TONS of their own emotional baggage into these tilt threads. No wonder steam control is so diffcult for people to learn.

steamboatin
09-21-2005, 11:40 AM
My sister-in-law bought it for me for my birthday and I think it is really funny that you guys believe I wear it out in public on a regular basis.

The power of "The Shirt" should not be abused or overused.

andyfox
09-21-2005, 12:11 PM
You're sitting around a table with 8 or 9 other people for several hours. The situation calls for congeniality. If you can't or won't be congenial, then be silent. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything. Play your cards as hard and as tough and as relentlessly as you like. Say please and thank you when talking to other people. Treat others as you would want to be treated.

This is what I have told my children.

revots33
09-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't think it's wrong per se, but a lot of people use "i'm just trying to put my opponent on tilt" as an excuse to act like a total prick at the poker table.

09-21-2005, 01:14 PM
If it requires a significantly -EV play to be made several times in order for you to do this, then it is wrong, and you know why.

09-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I was thinking further about this, and here's the problem with the "tilt people to gain an edge" theory, at least at low-to-middle limits:

In my experience, the vast majority of people who try this are doing it to people who are already bad players. This is extremely EV-. You don't want bad players to tighten up or leave. They're already freely donating their money, so what will this accomplish?

I rarely see someone trying to tilt a good player, and I see even fewer attempts actually succeed.

That said, there is ONE type of player I will actively try and tilt: The player who is trying to tilt or otherwise whine at someone else. I find they're very susceptible. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

09-21-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking further about this, and here's the problem with the "tilt people to gain an edge" theory, at least at low-to-middle limits:

In my experience, the vast majority of people who try this are doing it to people who are already bad players. This is extremely EV-. You don't want bad players to tighten up or leave. They're already freely donating their money, so what will this accomplish?

I rarely see someone trying to tilt a good player, and I see even fewer attempts actually succeed.

That said, there is ONE type of player I will actively try and tilt: The player who is trying to tilt or otherwise whine at someone else. I find they're very susceptible. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
nh To answer the question, it is not wrong or unethical, it is just annoying...and to make it worse all the fish go away. "Always, always be nice to the donators"

Triumph36
09-21-2005, 07:28 PM
It's not 'unethical' - but if the player is a bad calling station, it might be better to just shut up. Donators are there for entertainment, and while they may tilt off all their money to you that night, they may also think later about why they play poker.

However, when I play online, I'm always looking to tilt loose-aggressives when I'm playing heads up or three handed no-limit. These guys love the action and they love trash-talking; they're not quitting poker anytime soon. So I find that trying to tilt them is +EV. Then again, I lost much of my roll playing those games, so maybe it wasn't as good a strategy as I thought.

09-21-2005, 11:49 PM
anyone who says putting another on tilt is immoral is a LOSER on many levels.

09-22-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone who says putting another on tilt is immoral is a LOSER on many levels.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless they capitalize on the tilt, and therefore make a +ev move, right?

mike4bmp
09-22-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm being told its wrong to put people on tilt. I don't get it. I've put people on tilt by giving them a bad beat, talking to much to other players(no fun! no funny!) and even by just looking at someone the wrong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are not level headed enough to tune out the provocations then exploit their tendencies to tilt. It's ok...poker's about duping your opponents into making the wrong decisions....making them go on tilt just makes it easier...especially if they are a low limit suck out hack.
Peace.

Rooster71
09-23-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not wrong or unethical, but most of the time it is just dumb. My experience is that people who are concerned with "putting someone on tilt" are usually seriously lacking in emotional maturity and poker skill.

When you work on "putting someone on tilt" you should be prepared in case the rest of the table turns against you or someone decides to kick your ass.

LokiV
09-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Is it unethical to be sitting at a B&M table talking to a friend about Ghostbusters for a few hours?

09-23-2005, 05:47 PM
I usually don't worry about putting people on tilt. They do that all on their own. If I end up getting lucky and win by a bad beat, I am grateful and apologize to the guy for his crummy luck. I am stuck in a chair for hours; last thing I want is a negative vibe around the table. Plus someone on tilt can ruin it for the rest of us. I have seen fishes who come to play ring games for fun (and look totally shocked when someone is cursing and hitting the table) which has had to force me to be a consultant towards them in order for them to feel comfortable enough to continue spending their money. Like someone has already said it just unprofitable.

BarronVangorToth
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simplistic thinking rules the day! Hurrah!

[/ QUOTE ]

Simplistic, perhaps, but correct: being obnoxious at the table is -EV.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

sweetjazz
09-24-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on how you're doing it. There is nothing wrong with bad beating someone. If you called their wife a slut, though, this should be seen as obviously wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless she is a slut and you are telling him so that he can reorganize his life.