PDA

View Full Version : can you fold a set on a this board?

Guruman
09-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

table is a crazy schitzophrenic mess of tighties and fish. Depending on who's in the blind I'll either steal or limp with this hand.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

fold pf or continue?

Flop: (10.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Probably should have gone for the c/r here.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Given mp2's pf line, I put him on AA,KK,QQ,AK,KQ, and maaaaybe KT. Button's cool just coming along for the ride which confuses me.

River: (18.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero...

Final Pot: 24.75 BB

MelchyBeau
09-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Thats a massive pot. Call

Melch

benkath1
09-21-2005, 12:06 AM
value call. You didn't tell us which player you are up against.

I might be inclined to check/call this river fearing a larger set or str8 or flush.

closer2313
09-21-2005, 12:06 AM
What is your read on MP? The button? The Blinds?

This makes it whether PF is a raise or a fold.

I c/r the flop.

The way you played it. You have to bet the turn. Just call the raise on the river.

This really smells like TT or KK for MP1. It could be AA or AK though.

Guruman
09-21-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
value call. You didn't tell us which player you are up against.

[/ QUOTE ]

mp2=lag. button is new.

[ QUOTE ]
I might be inclined to check/call this river fearing a larger set or str8 or flush.

[/ QUOTE ] would you check/overcall here? How about if it comes back 2 to you?

istewart
09-21-2005, 12:14 AM
I like the flop bet on this board. Button can have a ton of gutshots on this flop and you'd like to not give him 12:1 to hit (this assumes MP2 raises this board a lot, which I think we are correct in assuming).

MP2's turn range is AA, KK, TT, and maybe AK. 3-bet preflop + flop smooth-call and go bonkers on turn. That's a monster at Party low limits all the time. I'd call the river but I wouldn't feel good.

BTW the turn is a clear bet. Also, notice how check/raising completely [censored] you here since if you bet and he raises, you can 3-bet and if he caps you know you're screwed. In this hand YOU had to cap, and another bet went on the river than necessary.

Guruman
09-21-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The way you played it you have to bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The flop action clearly indicates that I can get in a c/r here. Do you not think I have enough value, or are you afreaid of the free card?

marchron
09-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Call, but expect to be shown K/K or 10/10.

That delayed action on the flop plus going nuts on the turn usually means a flopped set.

Or possibly Q/J for the straight, but I doubt he 3-bets that preflop.

closer2313
09-21-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The way you played it you have to bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The flop action clearly indicates that I can get in a c/r here. Do you not think I have enough value, or are you afreaid of the free card?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is betting the turn for you to check raise?

I think bet/3bet is better because no one showed any strength on the flop except for you.

benkath1
09-21-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
would you check/overcall here?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]
How about if it comes back 2 to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

yuck. From a guy who hates laying down sets, I might be inclined to do this. My first thought was button scared me more than MP2. If he raises the river I would be very upset.

Guruman
09-21-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Call, but expect to be shown K/K or 10/10.

That delayed action on the flop plus going nuts on the turn usually means a flopped set.

Or possibly Q/J for the straight, but I doubt he 3-bets that preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and there's the flush out there too.

Here's the issue I have with this river:

how often will we have both of our opponents beat here? Basically we'd have to be up against a poorly played AA, AKo, or QQ from both guys here. Everything else either one could possibly hold here destroys us on the R. Further complicating our situation is the fact that neither of our villains are afraid of either of their opponents.

HU this is an easy call. Three-way I'm not so sure.

closer2313
09-21-2005, 12:27 AM
The Flush came backdoor. Button would get aggressive somewhere with a straight or bigger set. I think he has like AK or KQ and is just praying that its good.

If mp2 is a lag, I think you are good here often.

Guruman
09-21-2005, 12:34 AM
FWIW, results in white below:
<font color="white">Mp2 shows TT for a set of tens. Button shows KK for a set of Kings. Hero shows 77 for a set of 7s </font>

Guruman
09-21-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW the turn is a clear bet. Also, notice how check/raising completely [censored] you here since if you bet and he raises, you can 3-bet and if he caps you know you're screwed. In this hand YOU had to cap, and another bet went on the river than necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats an interesting thought process that I did not consider there, mainly because I was focused on getting as much into the pot as possible here. It's something I should probably be considering in the future.

istewart
09-21-2005, 12:50 AM
It is interesting but the turn bet should just be bet for value anyway. My response was based on him coming to life (a bit results-oriented) but I thought that check/raising the turn put you in a bad spot here.

I'd call the river too by the way. I would fold if button had 3-bet.