PDA

View Full Version : Accepted into grad school WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MelchyBeau
09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
So I have gone through this phase of depression due to being laid off and having tons of difficulty finding employment. Still am without job right now.

Well, I went to Cal State San Marcos to talk to the graduate advisor in Math and he said I will be accepted to the program. I just have to go back tomorrow and fill out the paperwork.

For those of you considering grad school, but you have poor grades. SO DO I. But, if you are able to explain things, and prove to them that you are more mature now, you can get accepted to. Hell, my degree is in Physics and not Math.

Melch

Bubu
09-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Congrats !
The key to grad school is finding a good advisor and people you like to work with. It seems that you guys hit it off well!

IronDragon1
09-20-2005, 11:12 PM
I got into Grad school and I graduated with less than 3.0 GPA

Don't ask me how academia works

mslif
09-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Congratulations to you.
I am working on my Master's right now and I love it. good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

irishpint
09-20-2005, 11:25 PM
hopefully dental school works the same. first interview in a few weeks....

exist
09-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Glad to hear it. Congratulations!

eastbay
09-21-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I got into Grad school and I graduated with less than 3.0 GPA

Don't ask me how academia works

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically anybody stupid enough to think it's an honor to do TA and lab work for slave wages is "qualified."

(Yes, I was that stupid once.)

eastbay

09-21-2005, 12:51 AM
Congrats man...If you can deal with the shitty wages grad school is truly awesome.

peachy
09-21-2005, 12:56 AM
congrats!!!

MyTurn2Raise
09-21-2005, 02:32 AM
I wish you luck. My advice is to cut out competitive poker and OOT. This poker craze killed my grad school career. Who knew party poker could be the fountain of wealth.

jason_t
09-21-2005, 02:48 AM
I already told you earlier "yay!" and "congratulations" but let me say it here again. I'm very happy for you and I wish you the best of luck. If you need help get in touch with me and I'll see what I can do.

MrTrik
09-21-2005, 05:29 AM
Congrats man. It's cool you are taking this bump in the road to improve your future. I have friends out of work who have given up hope for now and play video games most of their days.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Congrats. It's too bad you were having such bad luck with employment, but grad school's cool and maybe this'll take you to higher places. Good luck and have fun.

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats. It's too bad you were having such bad luck with employment, but grad school's cool and maybe this'll take you to higher places. Good luck and have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your avatar was the only thing I even remotely liked about you, and now that's gone.

You do the math.

diebitter
09-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Congrats, bud

I think one of the great things a person can do is go back to school when they get older when it didn't suit em when they were young. Excellent, and good luck.

jdl22
09-21-2005, 11:41 AM
your life will suck.

Congrats!

09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell, my degree is in Physics and not Math.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is no lie, I did the same thing

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hell, my degree is in Physics and not Math.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is no lie, I did the same thing

[/ QUOTE ]
When I went to grad school for aerospace engineering, I found it was largely a study of higher-level calculus and other math, probably more than it was engineering concepts. I suspect physics would be very similar, if not to an even higher degree, depending on the school.

Colonel Kataffy
09-21-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My advice is to cut out competitive poker and OOT. This poker craze killed my grad school career.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started law school and have had to cut back on poker much more than I thought I would. Sucks. However, I should also cut out the OOT via wireless during class.

09-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Congrats! so you just made an appointment with the advisor? i'm trying to get into grad school too...feels like it's never going to happen...any other tips? kinda hard to go see an advisor; all the schools i want to go to are out of state /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MelchyBeau
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Congrats! so you just made an appointment with the advisor? i'm trying to get into grad school too...feels like it's never going to happen...any other tips? kinda hard to go see an advisor; all the schools i want to go to are out of state

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I emailed him for an appointment. Met him the next day. I am going to finish my paperwork to register today.

Melch

Bubu
09-21-2005, 02:58 PM
How did you apply ? Did you formally apply, or just met with him and showed him your cv. BTW what field of mathematics are you interested in ?