PDA

View Full Version : The Office (TV Show) UK vs US version?

Adde
09-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Has anyone seen both and can comment on how the US version stands up? Is it anything to write home about on its own? Is it anything compared to the UK version?

Adde

Pirc Defense
09-20-2005, 06:51 PM
The UK version is hilarious, but I've never seen the U.S. version, which is why I'm not replying to your post.

Adde
09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
nh.

private joker
09-20-2005, 06:56 PM
This has been discussed here before several times, but I think it's pretty clear that even if you enjoy the US version on its own terms (it's mediocre imo), the UK version is way way way way better.

daveymck
09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
I watched the first 2 episodes of the US one when it was on BBC 3 dont think it is that bad but the UK one is better buth then I am form the UKL so bound to say it.

Swax
09-20-2005, 07:17 PM
The American version isn't all that bad, I mean compared to the standard "fat white guy scores hot wife but doesn't want to sleep with her! and hates his mother-in-law! go figure!" sitcom it's fantastic.

However, IMO the main thing that makes the American one significantly weaker than the UK version is the fact that in the American one, you can tell that the actors are TRYING to be funny, whereas the UK version just seemed so serious and it's best moments were as akward as they were funny, if that makes sense.

Yeti
09-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Not enough people give the American version credit because it's 'hip' to like the UK version and be all snobby.

US 1x05 was a ridiculously good piece of television. 1x06 was good too.

Adde
09-20-2005, 07:32 PM
This has been discussed here before several times...

My thought too, this has got to be covered before in OOT, but the *!#%x?!* search engine severly failed to find it.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone. The US version is just about to air here in Sweden, so I'll give it a try then.

Adde

johnnycakes
09-20-2005, 07:43 PM
The British Office is possibly my favorite TV show ever.

The US version is meh. Not horrible. I'll be watching the season premierre tonight.

In the British version the "boss" character is a well-intentioned idiot. He's hilariously embarrassing but you can't hate him.

In the US version, the "boss" character comes across as just a jerk a lot of the time.