PDA

View Full Version : Missing Cat... Any chance he'll come back?

mason55
09-20-2005, 06:02 PM
So, I stayed at a friends house accross the city for the weekend. I always leave the window slightly cracked when I leave so that my cat can get some fresh air since I turn off the A/C.

Anyways, I came back, and the window had been pushed open and the screen had been knocked out of the window. The cat was missing. He's an indoor cat who's never been outside before except when I hold him and sit on my porch. I live on the first story of a huge apartment complex, so there's tons of bushes and places for him to hide around here. He has tags with my phone number.

Anyways, I've never had an outdoor cat before. What are my chances of having him come back? He's a big cat with front claws, so I'm not too worried about him getting beat up by an animal, but I'm just wondering how long cats can remember how to get home. He might have been gone for 4 days already.

Right now I had my porch door propped open with food outside the porch and the front door propped open with food sitting in it so that if he does wander home he'll want to stay. I also took off work today to sit home with the doors open so I could be here if he came back.

Edit: The cat was the one who opened the window and knocked out the screen. He has knocked out the screen before, I never would have guessed he could open a window.

swede123
09-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your missing cat. Since we're talking about an inside cat with no outside experience I'd say he's most likely dead by now. Whether killed by something wild or run over by a car chances are he's gone for good. You never know though, something might have scared him away from the house when he got out and he got lost.

Swede

WackityWhiz
09-20-2005, 06:12 PM
I don't think he'll find his way home, he'll need to be picked up by somebody. I think someone will find him and give you a call. You'll get him back man.

09-20-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right now I had my porch door propped open with food outside the porch and the front door propped open with food sitting in it so that if he does wander home he'll want to stay. I also took off work today to sit home with the doors open so I could be here if he came back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of the sweetest things ever! (I need to find my box of tissues) You stayed home from work?

My limited experience is that after 4 days the chance of his returning on his own is kind of slim. However, I don't think it's impossible. Tomorrow you should check the animal shelter in your neighborhood.

I will say a prayer for you and your cat. (what's his name?)

mason55
09-20-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. His name is Turkish (like the guy in the movie Snatch). I'm going to put up some signs tonight and everything. I'm just glad he has a collar with tags and my phone number on it. Pretty much the only hope I have left.

mason55
09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Yeah. I figured they probably didn't find their way home after 4 days. I'm hoping that he's been back since I was gone and just couldn't figure out how to get back in.

Making signs right now though.

Turkish
09-20-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. His name is Turkish (like the guy in the movie Snatch). I'm going to put up some signs tonight and everything. I'm just glad he has a collar with tags and my phone number on it. Pretty much the only hope I have left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice.

Shajen
09-20-2005, 06:30 PM
A couple of things:

1) your cat knows how to get home. It's a scent/marker thing.

2) I really hope someone finds him and calls you. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Los Feliz Slim
09-20-2005, 06:30 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~akamikeabrams/closeup2.jpg

Olive and I will think good thoughts for his return.

I think he's OK, and I think he'll come back. Cats are amazingly resilient and I think have a killer sense of direction. He's probably just out seeing the sights.

mason55
09-20-2005, 06:45 PM
turkish (http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=turkish4ar.jpg) turkish2 (http://img358.imageshack.us/my.php?image=turkish11mr.jpg)

HopeydaFish
09-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Continuously leave food just inside the window. Chances are he's hiding somewhere close by and is starving. He can smell his food from a long way away, so if he's anywhere close, he should come home. Also, if you can make "filling the food bowl" noises near the window, this might encourage him to come home.

Check the animal shelter. You never know, he might be there, though if he has tags they would have called you.

My indoor cat escaped last fall and was gone for 4 days. We put up signs all over the neighbourhood, went out every evening searching for him, went to the animal shelter every day on my way home from work, and kept calling his name from the back porch every night. I left food out for him every night, but he wasn't coming home. I'd almost given up hope when he suddenly appeared at the back door, eating the food I'd left out for him. He ran off when I opened the back door to get him, but I moved the bowl just inside the house and waited. About ten minutes later he slowly walked inside...he was totally freaked out, but was obviously starving from being outside for so long.

So don't give up...he's probably just freaked out and hiding somewhere. Eventually hunger will bring him back.

mason55
09-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Awesome story, gives me hope. Just talked to the girl who I got him from and I guess when he was about 6 months he disappeared for 3 or 4 days when he got out once. He came back a little beat up (he had walked through some chemicals downtown) but made it back.

Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight.

NotMitch
09-20-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I stayed at a friends house accross the city for the weekend. I always leave the window slightly cracked when I leave so that my cat can get some fresh air since I turn off the A/C.

Anyways, I came back, and the window had been pushed open and the screen had been knocked out of the window. The cat was missing. He's an indoor cat who's never been outside before except when I hold him and sit on my porch. I live on the first story of a huge apartment complex, so there's tons of bushes and places for him to hide around here. He has tags with my phone number.

Anyways, I've never had an outdoor cat before. What are my chances of having him come back? He's a big cat with front claws, so I'm not too worried about him getting beat up by an animal, but I'm just wondering how long cats can remember how to get home. He might have been gone for 4 days already.

Edit: The cat was the one who opened the window and knocked out the screen. He has knocked out the screen before, I never would have guessed he could open a window.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not advice, but perhaps the best song ever will cheer you up.

http://core.ele-mental.org/~ecc/mp3/Grand%20Buffet%20-%20find%20the%20cat.mp3

HopeydaFish
09-20-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome story, gives me hope. Just talked to the girl who I got him from and I guess when he was about 6 months he disappeared for 3 or 4 days when he got out once. He came back a little beat up (he had walked through some chemicals downtown) but made it back.

Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep us updated. I really hope he comes back...the four days my cat was gone were brutal. I kept getting up every 20 minutes or so to go to the patio door to look outside for him. I felt extra awful because this happened in November and the weather was starting to get cold. I pictured him shivering, scared, and hungry under someone's deck.

And then there was the lovely day where someone called me and left a message to tell me they saw a dead cat on the road that matched my cat's description. I was at work when I got the message, so I had to wait all day to go check to see if it was him. Thankfully, I could tell right away as I was driving up to the carcass that it wasn't him.

bravos1
09-20-2005, 08:10 PM
You may get lucky like we did. We have an indoor only cat who got out one day. After a week, we considered him gone. About 6-7 weeks later we got a phone call from someone 3 blocks over that found him in their yard. He dropped from 13 lbs. to 8 lbs., but other than that he was perfectly fine. Also, he was declawed and still survived. Cats have great survival skills.

Eurotrash
09-20-2005, 08:10 PM
reading this thread made me feel sad. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

godspeed, Turkish, I hope you find your way back.

stabn
09-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Our record on a house cat that got out and came back was over a year. If it was more than a couple of days 2-3 months was pretty normal.

Benal
09-20-2005, 08:32 PM
FYI - Cats can survive a LONG time without food.

Blarg
09-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Inside cats are bone dumb outside the house. They don't know to run up a tree, avoid a dog, step out of the way of a car, or how to fight.

Unfortunately the prognosis is not good. Still, my family has had cats disappear for days or even weeks and come back. But there are so many predators out there, including people and cars and in some places coyotes and hawks, that chances are slim. Additionally, other cats can carry fairly common viruses that can literally kill a cat within two days. The lifespan of an outdoor cat is a short one, and for a cat that's been raised indoors all its life, even shorter. Good luck to you both.

gorie
09-20-2005, 09:12 PM
that's sad /images/graemlins/frown.gif i hope your cat comes back.
a lady i work with just had her cat run away too, it's been gone 6 days now i think and doesn't have tags. i feel bad, that's gotta suck.

lem45216
09-20-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm a dog person myself and generally dislike cats, but the pics you put up made me feel sad, I hope you get him back, turkish is an awesome name. My dog ran away once, and i live in a masssive forest so i thought my chances of getting him back were almost 0%, though by chance i was in the pub later that day and overheard some people talking about the police finding a dog that had been roaming the woods earlier, so i went to the police station and there he was, a bit beaten up, but he's fine now. I know how it feels though.
Hope he's back soon.

Blarg
09-20-2005, 09:46 PM
You might want to check nearby shelters. Some put animals to sleep quite quickly. The shelters should be able to tell you of the ones they know about that put them to sleep really quick, so you can check those first.

touchfaith
09-20-2005, 10:11 PM
did your cat snore? if so, bring the food in and lock the door.

mason55
09-20-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might want to check nearby shelters. Some put animals to sleep quite quickly. The shelters should be able to tell you of the ones they know about that put them to sleep really quick, so you can check those first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice, I'm planning to go tomorrow. Luckily there aren't any predators around here and the area I live is like 8 apartment complexes. I'm hoping that he will wander to someone if he doesn't find his way back and gets really hungry.

mason55
09-20-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But I don't get it?

siccjay
09-20-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
reading this thread made me feel sad. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

godspeed, Turkish, I hope you find your way back.

[/ QUOTE ]

siccjay
09-20-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But I don't get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was being a douchebag.

touchfaith
09-20-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But I don't get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was being a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, if I was, I would have said [censored] the cat, it's been all day and it's probably already dead.

Instead, I was making a reference to my snoring cat and the pleasure it would bring me if it was gone.

Better?

jstnrgrs
09-20-2005, 10:32 PM
My mother had a cat return after being away for about 2 weeks. But He was a cat with outside experience.

mason55
09-20-2005, 11:30 PM
horray!!!!

i was sitting in the living room 4 tabling with the front door and he just came walking in... he's filthy but seems unharmed.

thank you so much for the kind words guys. didn't know anyone around here was capable of being nice /images/graemlins/wink.gif

gorie
09-20-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
horray!!!!

i was sitting in the living room 4 tabling with the front door and he just came walking in... he's filthy but seems unharmed.

thank you so much for the kind words guys. didn't know anyone around here was capable of being nice /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that's awesome !! good to hear /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HopeydaFish
09-20-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
horray!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome! Reading this made my night. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now make sure he never escapes again! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

touchfaith
09-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Awww, what the hell, I'll even say congrats and be happy for you...

Don't expect this BS to last long though.

MarkSummers
09-20-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
horray!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

that's so awesome. i saw the pictures of your cat and was very sad. i love cats. sometimes i get nervous when my cat stays outside all night (she's an outdoor cat) but I still get nervous. I love cats!

tinga81
09-20-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FYI - Cats can survive a LONG time without food.

[/ QUOTE ]

not mine, they're always looking for their feedings at 6am and 5pm, and trying to bug me at 2am for a small snack. but i still love em.

glad to hear your cat made his way home mason, it was only a matter of time.

slamdunkpro
09-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Get him chipped.

mason55
09-20-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get him chipped.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is

2+2 wannabe
09-20-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone even listen to you anymore?

Chairman Wood
09-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Great news! I'm happy you are back together.

touchfaith
09-21-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone even listen to you anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...you

Los Feliz Slim
09-21-2005, 12:02 AM
That's awesome, welcome home Turkish.

09-21-2005, 12:12 AM
When I was eight the family moved to my daddies pride and joy.

A new house.Not rented but owned.

Each of us three children had a cat.

Within 3 days all 3 disappear

Cat Lesson # 1.

Cats are stupid and do not adapt.

Your only hope is the animal shelter or a phone call from
from a kind hearted stranger.

Good Luck

HopeydaFish
09-21-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was eight the family moved to my daddies pride and joy.

A new house.Not rented but owned.

Each of us three children had a cat.

Within 3 days all 3 disappear

Cat Lesson # 1.

Cats are stupid and do not adapt.

Your only hope is the animal shelter or a phone call from
from a kind hearted stranger.

Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, looks like you were wrong. Way to not bother reading the rest of the posts before sharing your negativity.

mason55
09-21-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Oops, looks like you were wrong. Way to not bother reading the rest of the posts before sharing your negativity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zing /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chairman Wood
09-21-2005, 12:30 AM
hmm... this is what I see. Your dad probably doesn't like cats. Furthermore he doesn't want pets pissing in, pooping on and screwing up his "pride and joy. Sounds like you and your siblings have some issues to discuss with your dad.

mason55
09-21-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hmm... this is what I see. Your dad probably doesn't like cats. Furthermore he doesn't want pets pissing in, pooping on and screwing up his "pride and joy. Sounds like you and your siblings have some issues to discuss with your dad.

[/ QUOTE ]

No! THEY WENT TO A FARM IN THE COUNTRY!!!!

Chairman Wood
09-21-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, I was only kidding with him cause it looks like a possible lame gimmick account. Second, although it could have been alluded to, Mr. Limp never did specify it was a farm in the country. Third, I am truly happy you found your cat and I don't want to kill the happiness rush you may be on now. Sorry

mason55
09-21-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, I was only kidding with him cause it looks like a possible lame gimmick account. Second, although it could have been alluded to, Mr. Limp never did specify it was a farm in the country. Third, I am truly happy you found your cat and I don't want to kill the happiness rush you may be on now. Sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I forgot the /images/graemlins/tongue.gif at the end of my post.

Thythe
09-21-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm glad I read to the end of this thread. I'm glad Turkish is back.

InchoateHand
09-21-2005, 02:02 AM
He'll come back.

09-21-2005, 02:51 AM
a dopetrailer is no place for a kitty

iMsoLucky0
09-21-2005, 03:25 AM
My parents have two cats, both of which are very old. THey have both been indoor/outdoor cats though. One day one of the cats dissapeared and my parents looked and looked and looked around their house and never found him. A month and a half went by and my Dad was at this house that he had been overseeing the construction of about 5 miles from their house. He sees the CAT?!? He calls him and the cat comes running to him. Apparently the cat had ridden in the back of my dad's Truck to the construction site and had been there by himself for a month and a half. He had lost 10 pounds and was kinda freaked, but he has regained his health now.

siccjay
09-21-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
horray!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, thats great to hear.

lem45216
09-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Thats awesome, great to hear, you must be relieved.
Well done Turkish.

Inthacup
09-21-2005, 06:31 AM
That's awesome Mason! Congrats on getting Turkish back

Anders_G
09-21-2005, 07:16 AM
post of the week

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also took off work today to sit home with the doors open so I could be here if he came back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about your cat, but this is pathetic.

Shajen
09-21-2005, 09:00 AM
http://www.bodymirror.dk/DK/Grafik/Smiling%20cat.jpg

HesseJam
09-21-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
... with front claws...

[/ QUOTE ]
Congrats to your cat getting some of his domesticized balls back! He sure will break out again at the next opportunity. Live with this. Cats are not indoor animals.

First, it would be much better if he still had all his claws (well, maybe he has, it's not entirely clear). It's much easier to climb trees and fences this way and most importantly, to defend against other cats and the occasional dog.

Second, to all others who think about doing this: Declawing a cat is animal cruelty at its finest. What's next? Detoothing a dog?

Third, many indoor cats take the opportunity to break out. It's a common occurrence that they disappear for days. Cars are the biggest threat to them, not other animals (if they still have their claws). Male indoor-outdoor cats diappear for days regularly. Thery almost always come back in bad shape, half their weight and half beaten up. This is their nature. They love it!

unlucky513
09-21-2005, 09:17 AM
cats have a weird sense of where home is and how to get home, hope he comse back, cute cat.

when i was living in the city my cat would sneak out for a night or two, but he always found his way home.

Shajen
09-21-2005, 09:23 AM
the cat already came back.

samjjones
09-21-2005, 09:44 AM
And I suppose fixing stray cats is animal cruelty as well?

mason55
09-21-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also took off work today to sit home with the doors open so I could be here if he came back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about your cat, but this is pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any excuse to take off work is a good excuse in my book.

mslif
09-21-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.bodymirror.dk/DK/Grafik/Smiling%20cat.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

This kitty is just too cute /images/graemlins/heart.gif

ChipWrecked
09-21-2005, 10:05 AM
I left early to look for a runaway cat once, 'cause it was winter and I wanted to search before it got dark.

He never did come back, because he was wimpy and mellow and sweet, and the fucker alpha cat next door made his life hell.

I would have put one between that bastard's eyes, but the 3-year old he belonged to loved him. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

That was seven years ago, and I still wonder how my cat made out. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

benza13
09-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Haven't read any responses, but my neighbor this summer lost her cat when it got out at a 4th of July party. The cat returned sometime around July 20th. This was from an apartment on main street with few places to hide. We assumed that someone took it in for a while and then saw the signs that the neighbor put up and released it again, but we really don't know. Good luck and I hope the cat returns.

Clarkmeister
09-21-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Missing Cat... Any chance he'll come back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you're lucky.

Clarkmeister
09-21-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i was sitting in the living room 4 tabling with the front door and he just came walking in

[/ QUOTE ]

bad beat