PDA

View Full Version : Think you're running card dead? - Try this out

09-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Hello guys.

Something which I have done for a while can sometimes help me to get over the pain of a losing session where I just feel I have been completely card dead.
I thought I'd share it, aware it may get shot down as meaningless but what the heck!

Set up a filter on PT and simply highlight the following 11 hands under 'Select Specifi Hands'

AA, AKs, AK, AQs, AQ, KK, KQs, KQ, QQ, JJ, TT

Label the filter (this is smart) 'Top 11 hands'.

Apply this filter to a period of cards in which you think you have been getting a bad run, losing period etc.

Multiply the number of hands over this period of time by 0.0585

Right, compare this new number to the number of hands your filter brings up.

eg, in a sample of 1000 hands, you would expect '58.5' top eleven hands.
If you have less than this on your filtered hands section, you are card dead and hey presto, dont beat yourself up about your losses!!

Very trivial, but it can work for me!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheHip41
09-20-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello guys.

Something which I have done for a while can sometimes help me to get over the pain of a losing session where I just feel I have been completely card dead.
I thought I'd share it, aware it may get shot down as meaningless but what the heck!

Set up a filter on PT and simply highlight the following 11 hands under 'Select Specifi Hands'

AA, AKs, AK, AQs, AQ, KK, KQs, KQ, QQ, JJ, TT

Label the filter (this is smart) 'Top 11 hands'.

Apply this filter to a period of cards in which you think you have been getting a bad run, losing period etc.

Multiply the number of hands over this period of time by 0.0585

Right, compare this new number to the number of hands your filter brings up.

eg, in a sample of 1000 hands, you would expect '58.5' top eleven hands.
If you have less than this on your filtered hands section, you are card dead and hey presto, dont beat yourself up about your losses!!

Very trivial, but it can work for me!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, you can just suck it up and play another 10,000 hands. It won't last forever.

09-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Another way to feel better is to dive into the program files and modify the .bmp/.jpg/etc images for the crappy cards to look like A, K, Q, J. Then, play on!

09-20-2005, 04:48 PM
lol - i like that one even more!!

09-20-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another way to feel better is to dive into the program files and modify the .bmp/.jpg/etc images for the crappy cards to look like A, K, Q, J. Then, play on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can a tranparency overlay .bmp be made, so no matter what the river is, it says "I Hate You" diagonally across the card?

TheHip41
09-20-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can a tranparency overlay .bmp be made, so no matter what the river is, it says "I Hate You" diagonally across the card?

[/ QUOTE ]

or make it with a few different options.

"[censored] again"

"2 outer!!"

"Why am I still playing this [censored] game I hate you so much Party"

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-21-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"[censored] again"

"2 outer!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

You would need some pretty small text for that last one.

TheHip41
09-21-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"[censored] again"

"2 outer!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

You would need some pretty small text for that last one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a scrolling .jpg file, or .gif file, what ever can do it. Just have it scroll across the whole table, but starting at the river card /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bodhi
09-21-2005, 12:40 PM
I've been getting more of the top 11 hands than normal and I still had a gigantic losing session yesterday. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SeaEagle
09-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I used to think that I could use a measurement like this to work out whether I should be running good or bad. My logic was based on the (mistaken) assumption that since all of my profit comes from my top 3 or 4 hands, then I should be able to track expectation based on them.

However, after trying various ways to mine data to show "hot cards", I became convinced that the board makes such a huge impact on the value of starting cards that you can't get a 'card dead' indicator just by evaluating your starting cards.

Case in point: a few days ago I had a 500 hand session where I had great opening cards. Over the session, my biggest losing hands were, in order: AA, JJ, AQs, KK. I was happy as hell to end the night only down 15BB. (whine: twice I made top FH only to lose to quads. Party is rigged.)

I'm currently of the opinion that I could make a 'card dead' formula based on expected win rates of hands and variance from them, e.g. AA should account for 2.3BB/hand and about 10BB profit every 1000 hands. When your top 10 hands are producing well below this level, then you're card dead. But I'm in the middle of a hot streak and, of course, I only spend quality time with PT when I'm in a downswing /images/graemlins/wink.gif