PDA

View Full Version : Is this a condition or something?

kurosh
09-20-2005, 04:18 PM
If I'm focusing on doing something or thinking intently about something, I won't hear people talk. I'll physically hear the words, but they won't register in my brain, if that makes any sense? Sometimes, if I think about what they said, a few seconds later it'll make sense. I have a very hard time talking on the phone and doing anything else at the same time. I can't multitask, for the most part. Basically, if I have one intent thought in my head, other things have difficulty coming in.

4_2_it
09-20-2005, 04:49 PM
I was going to respond to this, but I got distracted and forgot what your question was so I'll go with my standard answer which is to fold pre-flop.

Escape
09-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I have this a lot as well. Especially when I'm reading and thinking about something else at the same time. I do read the words, but do not understand the sentences. Bleh it has something to do with the brain I think.

benfranklin
09-20-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, if I have one intent thought in my head, other things have difficulty coming in.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one can really think about more than one thing at a time. You can be aware of many different sensory inputs, but you can only focus your thoughts on one thing.

asofel
09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, if I have one intent thought in my head, other things have difficulty coming in.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one can really think about more than one thing at a time. You can be aware of many different sensory inputs, but you can only focus your thoughts on one thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is why 12 tabling is so [censored] impressive to me.

(12 tabling of course referring to being a waiter)

touchfaith
09-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I believe the common medical term for this condition is called concentration

cdxx
09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was going to respond to this, but I got distracted and forgot what your question was so I'll go with my standard answer which is to fold pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

no *oker content

gamblore99
09-20-2005, 07:25 PM
I am presenting a paper on this thursday. Its called "The cocktail party effect revisted"

When someone is in a noisey environment they have to selectively attend to a specific part of the environment and ignore the rest (i.e. listening to one person). Often times this person will hear their name being said to someone else, but will not be able to hear any of the other content from this other conversation. In the study I am presenting, it is found that their is a good correlation between working memory and hearing your name. People who hear their name have lower working memory in general. One explanation of this is that those with a higher working memory are better able to control the contents of it, and thus supresse irrelevant information. Another is that working memory "capacity" fuels the central executive which is responsible for maintaining the goal relevant information, and supressing the irrelevant information.
Working memory is thought to be a very strong indicator, if not the strongest of overall intelligence. This is good news for you. Although it doesn't necessarily mean your smart, you might be really really behind.

B Dids
09-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Isn't this called "not paying attention"?

JaBlue
09-20-2005, 07:53 PM
I believe this condition is called "concentration"

roxtar
09-21-2005, 03:23 AM
HUH? WHAT?

ChipWrecked
09-21-2005, 03:35 AM
Lay off the bud for a few months.

dcasper70
09-21-2005, 06:43 AM
my wife absolutely HATES this!

you should pay more attention to her... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wall_st
09-21-2005, 07:18 AM
I do this all the time. My girlfriend hates it, but learned how to use it to her advantage to get me to do things I would normally not agree to. This is mainly due to the fact that I usually answer with something like uh huh or okay.

ChipWrecked
09-21-2005, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my wife absolutely HATES this!

you should pay more attention to her... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too. I have used the 'three word response', try it.

When you hear by the tone that it's time for you to respond, you go with three words:

Tell me more.
Please go on.
That's very interesting.
You don't say.
Well I'll be.

etc. etc.

This will actually work. At least for a while.

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine too. I have used the 'three word response', try it.

When you hear by the tone that it's time for you to respond, you go with three words:

Tell me more.
Please go on.
That's very interesting.
You don't say.
Well I'll be.

etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine too. My level of interest generally doesn't warrant more than a single syllable, sometimes it's even an actual word. The only three word response I give is when accused of not listening, I say, "Yes I am." This usually buys me another few minutes of not listening.

oreogod
09-21-2005, 07:56 AM
I like Smoking pot
its really hot
When I get high,
I can multitask like a one table bot.

-rhymed under the influence

sexdrugsmoney
09-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Congratulations, you have ADD!

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

09-21-2005, 08:08 AM
To the OP: condition = male

[ QUOTE ]

Tell me more.
Please go on.
That's very interesting.
You don't say.
Well I'll be.

etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're on to you and we know you guys don't really give a [censored]. ( "Tell me more" - hah!)

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We're on to you and we know you guys don't really give a [censored]. ( "Tell me more" - hah!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why do you insist on continually running your mouths that way? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-21-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then why do you insist on continually running your mouths that way? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

God I don't know. We see a man sitting there and we just can't help ourselves. Believe me it's torturous on both sides. Our brains are just wired weird. Do you think we like it?

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God I don't know. We see a man sitting there and we just can't help ourselves. Believe me it's torturous on both sides. Our brains are just wired weird. Do you think we like it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the words you typed, but all I hear in my head is, blah blah blah." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-21-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see the words you typed, but all I hear in my head is, blah blah blah." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you crack me up

(I knew you weren't listening to a damn thing I was saying. See if I give you any attention later.)

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(I knew you weren't listening to a damn thing I was saying. See if I give you any attention later.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the kind of attention, this is the best way to keep our interest. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

speirs
09-21-2005, 08:46 AM
My collegue has this "condition". Alway sem-busy with the phone and computer, you stand at his desk talking to him and than after a few seconds he turns around and you have repeat the whole story. I really want to poke his eye out.

ChipWrecked
09-21-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like when a teacher is speaking in the Peanuts cartoons.

spamuell
09-21-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In the study I am presenting, it is found that their is a good correlation between working memory and hearing your name. People who hear their name have lower working memory in general...Working memory is thought to be a very strong indicator, if not the strongest of overall intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gamblore, what? You're saying that if you don't notice what goes on around you, that means you have a higher intelligence?

In high school I was able to talk to my friends during class but when the teacher would ask me what they'd been talking about, to prove I wasn't paying attention, I'd be able to tell them even though I hadn't really been listening. Not many people could do this (I might have been the only one). This means that it was likely I was one of the least intelligent people there?