PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Delivery Drivers

theBruiser500
09-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Just glanced at Diablo's thread and $7 seemed like an awful lot to tip a delivery man. I would give total $50 or maybe below, I'm not sure what's right to tip delivery people. I subscribe to Ray Zee's school of thought that the tip should be based on how much work they do not how much the bill is. Unlike with waiters in restaurants where if the bill is higher because you ordered a lot of food and they consequently did more work serving you that extra food, with delivery people it is the same as far as I can tell regardless of order size.

In Amherst there is www.deliveryexpress.com (http://www.deliveryexpress.com) which I use to order sushi, it's a 5 minute drive from me and when me and my friend order we can spend a lot like $90. Delivery express now has a policy of automatically adding 10% of the bill (when it's $60+) onto the tip for the driver. $9 automatic tip for the driver is way too high, and the fact that it's automatic is annoying (we didn't even know the tip was added last time and the driver got a $15 tip total).

Do drivers have a normal hourly wage or is it all tips? When they deliver me one $8 pizza I gave $2, or $1.50 depending on the bill. Perhaps that tip should be more like $3, and an order of $75 should be more like $5, instead of $1 tips for a pizza, and $8 tips for a big order.

jakethebake
09-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm curious, Bruiser. Did you really think we needed to discuss this for the 50th time?

theBruiser500
09-20-2005, 11:25 PM
You don't seem to mind talking about the same things over and over again, you do have over 16,000 posts. I've never talked about tipping drivers before.

PoBoy321
09-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Most workers in the service industry rely primarily on tips for the majority of their wages. I'm not sure how many places actually do this, but I know that an employer can pay a worker about half the minimum wage if he has a job which traditionally gets tipped (I know that waiters fall into this group, I'm not sure whether or not deliverymen do). For that reason, I can't stand people who're stingy about tipping.

That said, I don't think that $15 on a $90 bill is outrageous, but I would probably just make it an even $100 and have him keep the change.

In this case, where the business adds 10% to the bill, I don't have a problem with not adding anything extra, because I do think that if the business includes tip in the bill and the deliveryman doesn't get it, that's something for him to take up with his employer, not the customer.

DasLeben
09-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Now that I have a tipped job (server at a restaurant), I couldn't imagine NOT tipping. Tips are such a huge part of your income in that field (as someone said above). I make $2.13/hr, and depend on tips to pay rent. I honestly cannot believe the nerve of some people to come in, eat, and then not leave a tip after good service.

The same goes for delivery people.

Alobar
09-21-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't seem to mind talking about the same things over and over again, you do have over 16,000 posts. I've never talked about tipping drivers before.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, owned.

I wasnt going to reply since this gets gone over so often, but I like your reply to JTB so much that ill throw my .02 in for the 20th time.

As a delivery driver, you dont do anymore work for a $10 order than you do like a $100 order. So honestly it is kinda stupid to tip more just cuz the order was more. However when I delivered pizza I was felt slighted when I get like a $2 tip on a $70 order, even tho I did the same amount of work as a $10 order where $2 was ok.

Im not sure what my point is, but its in there somewhere

dynamite
09-21-2005, 02:21 AM
I used to deliver for papa johns. You get paid minimum wage, so the tips make the difference. On a normal order (10-25 dollars) I would usually get tipped $2-5. If you make a huge order, i.e. 8-12 pizzas at least five bucks is greatly appreciated. It's not rocket science to drive pizzas, but it's nice when people are generous because their order was correct and on time. Also, don't stiff the driver because the pizza took a long time on a busy (usually friday, saturday, sunday) night. It's usually the store's fault because they got behind.

Clarkmeister
09-21-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Amherst there is www.deliveryexpress.com (http://www.deliveryexpress.com) which I use to order sushi, it's a 5 minute drive from me and when me and my friend order we can spend a lot like $90. Delivery express now has a policy of automatically adding 10% of the bill (when it's $60+) onto the tip for the driver. $9 automatic tip for the driver is way too high,

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's way too high, then go drive and get it yourself. If you decide not to, then I guess it's not too high after all.

ChipWrecked
09-21-2005, 02:33 AM
I used to eat room service when I traveled on business. I refused to add an extra tip in that space when a gratuity was clearly already on there. I'm tool enough that I marked a -0- in that space also.

I've worked for tips, and I never stiff service. But I don't see the need to bend over either.

PITTM
09-21-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Amherst there is www.deliveryexpress.com (http://www.deliveryexpress.com) which I use to order sushi, it's a 5 minute drive from me and when me and my friend order we can spend a lot like $90. Delivery express now has a policy of automatically adding 10% of the bill (when it's $60+) onto the tip for the driver. $9 automatic tip for the driver is way too high,

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's way too high, then go drive and get it yourself. If you decide not to, then I guess it's not too high after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

delicious delicious economics...

rj

snowbank
09-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Seems weird that they would make an automatic tip if the bill was higher. Would make more business sense if it was lower. Call in 2 orders of $45 a piece one right after the other and have one delivered next door to you to avoid the automatic tip.

rudedog78
09-21-2005, 03:04 AM
I work in the restaurant business and as a waiter let me tell you that people in general are cheap, espescially in the lunch hour. Seriously, if you cant afford to go eat and tip properly when you get a good service dont go out.

Ive served some tables where I sucked, it happens from time to time and of course I wont say [censored] when people dont tip or barely do. But when you give excellent service and people leave 2$ on a 30$ bill, I wish I had stayed home to steal some blinds instead.

Anyways, for delivery, I always leave 15-20%, these guys have [censored] jobs, most of the people dont leave more than 10% and not only that, but the price of gas is ultra high these days, I hope it's the restaurant that covers that, because they get shafted if not.

captZEEbo1
09-21-2005, 06:09 AM
I'm kind've with Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs as I worked at McDonalds. Everyone complaining about "only" making min wage delivering pizza so tips "really help", guess what, there's LOTS of jobs where people are ONLY making minimum wage at all. Why should I have to tip 25% of jobs because they are ONLY making minimum wage, whereas 75% of other lowpaying jobs don't need tips because they could get better jobs. I'm just bitter because of working at McDonalds, and also working at Steak N Shake (but not as a waiter, where I'd work twice as hard as waiters but make 1/3 of the rate).

That being said, I tip pretty generously. People like Ray Zee that say it should be based on service, not bill are somewhat wrong imo. If you work at a fancier restaurant with high bills, you are probably only waiting on like 1-2 tables/hour, whereas if it's a low bill restaurant, you are probably waiting on up to like 6-8 tables. Speed of service is often a function of kitchen staff more than waiter.

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some things worth discussing over and over...like Jessica Biel's hotness for example. I can tell you w/o reading a single post exactly where this thread will go. There will be at least one ex-pizza delivery that will give persoanl examples about how underpaid they are. There will be at least one ex-delivery guy that talks about how they [censored] off all day. There will be discussion of Papa John's (and others') "delivery fees". There will be several forumlas given for how to calculate the tip based on goofy things like the total bill, miles to deliver, how old the driver's car is, number of items, etc. Have I missed anything?

Malachii
09-21-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have I missed anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there's gonna be the obligatory "SIIHP" at some point in the thread.

ChipWrecked
09-21-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have I missed anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there's gonna be the obligatory "SIIHP" at some point in the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stick It In Her Pizza.

jakethebake
09-21-2005, 07:30 AM
I also missed the discussion where everyone who's ever worked in the restaruant industry tells a story about something they used to do to people's food that didn't tip.

RollaJ
09-21-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

In Amherst there is www.deliveryexpress.com (http://www.deliveryexpress.com) which I use to order sushi, it's a 5 minute drive from me and when me and my friend order we can spend a lot like $90. Delivery express now has a policy of automatically adding 10% of the bill (when it's $60+) onto the tip for the driver. $9 automatic tip for the driver is way too high, and the fact that it's automatic is annoying (we didn't even know the tip was added last time and the driver got a $15 tip total).

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you have people over get together a $150 order, and when it comes refuse to pay the 10%, tell them to take the tip you offer, or take the food back

GuyOnTilt
09-21-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time you have people over get together a $150 order, and when it comes refuse to pay the 10%, tell them to take the tip you offer, or take the food back

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad idea if you plan on ordering from this place again.

GoT

Clarkmeister
09-22-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Bruiser, have you conducted this experiment yet?

theBruiser500
09-22-2005, 04:43 PM
blah blah blah

Clarkmeister
09-23-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

Results?

Voltron87
09-23-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So Bruiser, have you conducted this experiment yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, clark absolutely pwned this thread. kudos sir.

TheCroShow
09-23-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to eat room service when I traveled on business. I refused to add an extra tip in that space when a gratuity was clearly already on there. I'm tool enough that I marked a -0- in that space also.

I've worked for tips, and I never stiff service. But I don't see the need to bend over either.

[/ QUOTE ]

automatic tipping is for the birds IMO. if i get good service, yes i will tip. crappy service=no tip. for delivery drivers, i do not add a tip if the store tacked on their 12% delivery charge or whatever rate they happen to charge.

to address the ones that cry "omfg i rely on tips to make a living and if i 'only' get $2 for a $30 bill, i wish i just stayed home..." i have 4 words for you, "learn to [censored] type."

before you get the idea i'm a cheap mofo, if i get good service, i will tip a min of 15% (yes very standard) and if the service is excellent and i'm thoroughly impressed, i'll go to 20%. last night i went out for dinner and the waitress kept the coffee flowing constantly. on a $27 bill I gave her a $5 tip.

Clarkmeister
09-23-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

before you get the idea i'm a cheap mofo, if i get good service, i will tip a min of 15% (yes very standard) and if the service is excellent and i'm thoroughly impressed, i'll go to 20%. last night i went out for dinner and the waitress kept the coffee flowing constantly. on a $27 bill I gave her a $5 tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a whole $5?

TheCroShow
09-23-2005, 10:52 AM
not trying to impress anyone with that, if i really wanted to be anal about it, i could have asked for change and make it $5.40.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 10:54 AM
So how about the valet? Do you guys tip the valet? How much?

STLantny
09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a whole $5?

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting out your at 15%, means you are a cheap motherfucker. I start at 20% adn go up, depending on service, and I always slip the delivery guy a buck or two.
Unless the service is just tottally beyond terrible, I tip a quarter, no matter what.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Starting out your at 15%, means you are a cheap motherfucker. I start at 20% adn go up

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just stupid.

STLantny
09-23-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5$ when I drop the keys off, depending on where I am.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? $5? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

STLantny
09-23-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Starting out your at 15%, means you are a cheap motherfucker. I start at 20% adn go up

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not where I hang out. I pretty much frequent the same places whenever I go out to eat, and am on a first name basis with most of the owners of these places. Good tipping, is appreciated, and recipricated in this kind of situation. The extra 5$ difference between 15 and 20% is usually always going to mean more to the server than it does to me, so I have no problem doing it.

STLantny
09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? $5? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, you have been to STL, the only place I use a valet is Harry's downtown, and I really dont know what to tip, I figured 5$ is about right.

TheCroShow
09-23-2005, 11:05 AM
back on topic...i only order delivery from a couple of places nearby, a pizza place and a chinese food place. the pizza place takes the liberty of tacking on a delivery charge, it's between 12%-15% of the total amount and i do not leave any extra unless the order comes close to an even number, say..a $28.x amount, i'll give em 30 bucks and say have a nice day.

the chinese place does not add a delivery charge and on a $20 bill i'll give the driver a few bucks, 3 or 4. the chinese place is a few blocks away so most of the time i pick up my order, but on the times that i do order delivery.....

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Alright, so how about a furniture delivery guy? Do you tip them?

STLantny
09-23-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]
WHAT? OMFG!!!!

Okay, how about... the bellhop? How much?

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. The bellhop? How much?

STLantny
09-23-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, so how about a bellhop? Do you tip them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:20 AM
How about... the cab driver? Do you tip him?

STLantny
09-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Why do you tip the furniture delivery guy? Dont they get paid a decent wage?

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
How about... the cab driver? Do you tip him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. The bellhop? How much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Okay, how about... the barber? You take care of the barber, don't you?

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? Are you supposed to tip them too?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Jake, you're a bad, bad man. Please tell me you give the barber at least a 10-spot. The man has your head at the edge of a blade and is responsible for you looking somewhat respectable. You better keep him happy.

STLantny
09-23-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, are def supposed to. I have family that owns a barbershop, do I dont really.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Jake, you're a bad, bad man. Please tell me you give the barber at least a 10-spot. The man has your head at the edge of a blade and is responsible for you looking somewhat respectable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that for all barbers? Or just the ones that do the little straight razor trim at the end?

Shajen
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Jake, you're a bad, bad man. Please tell me you give the barber at least a 10-spot. The man has your head at the edge of a blade and is responsible for you looking somewhat respectable.

[/ QUOTE ]

a ten spot? that's more than Jake's haircut.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ya, are def supposed to. I have family that owns a barbershop, do I dont really.

[/ QUOTE ]

are we talking your actual family here?

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that for all barbers? Or just the ones that do the little straight razor trim at the end?

[/ QUOTE ]
All of them. The straight razor is a whole separate tip in addition to the $5 you need to give for the haircut!

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a ten spot? that's more than Jake's haircut.

[/ QUOTE ]

close

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Okay okay okay... I got one. How about the mailman? Do you leave him a card with a load of cash in it on Christmas and his birthday?

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay okay okay... I got one. How about the mailman? Do you leave him a card with a load of cash in it on Christmas and his birthday?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a Christmas present, not a tip.

STLantny
09-23-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are we talking your actual family here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant to say so i dont, not do i dont. Family is family.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a Christmas present, not a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]
These are two separate questions. Do you slip him a couple bucks when he comes by with your mail? You don't want to be missing important mail, do you? Tell me you tip the mailman, Jake. I wouldn't be surprised if your Playboys come with sticky pages and the Victoria's Secret has pages torn out by the time you get them. Take care of your mail delivery person, Jake!

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Family is family.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
09-23-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Mainly because they leave the lid down during the rainy season and my letters and [censored] get all wet.

[censored] the postal company. /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

RunDownHouse
[ QUOTE ]
Starting out your at 15%, means you are a cheap motherfucker.

[/ QUOTE ]
15% used to be completely standard. Only in the past few years have people started saying that 20% is standard. Why did this ever change?

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Mainly because they leave the lid down during the rainy season and my letters and [censored] get all wet.

[censored] the postal company. /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably because you don't tip! Fool!

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
15% used to be completely standard. Only in the past few years have people started saying that 20% is standard. Why did this ever change?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're obviously not a baller.

STLantny
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Ya, I never get my mail in the right mailbox. Plus for some reason, I have a new mail person like every otherday. My parents when I was a kid always gave our old mailman, and milkman (yes we had a milkman), a tip or a present.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably because you don't tip! Fool!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, this ain't it. I wave and [censored] when I see them. They wave back, then leave the lid down. So, assuming you do "tip" your mailman, how much and what?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Alright, here's an important one. The bus driver. How much for the bus driver? Say your bus fare is... $0.75. How much for that?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, assuming you do "tip" your mailman, how much and what?

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't about me, Shajen. This is about your cheap ass.

STLantny
09-23-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're obviously not a baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with it (being a baller). If you have any connection to the food service industry, you will understand, if not you wont. I really honestly didnt knwo that 15% used to be standard, my parents always tipped 20% or more, so I thought that was the standard, and thought you guys were cheap. But if 15% is standard, then I guess Im wrong.

TheCroShow
09-23-2005, 11:50 AM
i used to wonder how you guys averaged 30+ posts per day....

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i used to wonder how you guys averaged 30+ posts per day....

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it really isn't much of an accomplishment.

Clarkmeister
09-23-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not trying to impress anyone with that

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Clark, what's your position on the valet, the barber, the mailman, and the bus driver?

RunDownHouse
09-23-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It has nothing to do with it (being a baller). If you have any connection to the food service industry, you will understand, if not you wont.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've done everything from dishing to serving to menu planning and being head chef.

I know you just got this sweet ass job doing POS upgrades, and you have this great scheme to open up your own bar someday, but I don't think you are the Great I Am on food service practices just yet.

Clarkmeister
09-23-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clark, what's your position on the valet, the barber, the mailman, and the bus driver?

[/ QUOTE ]

Valet in Vegas is $5 dropping off if I want to get out quickly, $0 when I pick it up, or $0 when I drop it off and $2-$3 when I pick it up, depending on if they hustle.

Barber is between $5-10 depending on where I go and how good they did.

Belhop is $5 normally which is like 3 bags. If I need other things like information, ice, etc or have more bags it can be as high as $20 in a top notch hotel.

Mailman gets zilch, same with the bus driver.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Interesting. How about the maid? How's the maid doing?

Clarkmeister
09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. How about the maid? How's the maid doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maid has a negotiated rate. Bonus at Christmas, or after a particularly messy job she did well with.

fnurt
09-23-2005, 12:07 PM
This thread is useless without food.

STLantny
09-23-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It has nothing to do with it (being a baller). If you have any connection to the food service industry, you will understand, if not you wont.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've done everything from dishing to serving to menu planning and being head chef.

I know you just got this sweet ass job doing POS upgrades, and you have this great scheme to open up your own bar someday, but I don't think you are the Great I Am on food service practices just yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am not, but I have grown up in restaurants, I was oblivious to what was going on half the time, becasue I was a little kid, but I was ingrained with things I guess, and I was taught that 20% was the minumum for a tip. I really dont know anything much about hwo things work, other than what works for me, I still stand by the fact that 20% is my minumum for all but the worst service.

B Dids
09-23-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an overtipper my nature- but recently a couple places added a tip for me. Bad move on their part, 'cause it cost them 5%.

I tip the Pizza guy 5 bucks.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, assuming you do "tip" your mailman, how much and what?

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't about me, Shajen. This is about your cheap ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ass ain't cheap dude. I'm an expensive ho.

Now answer the fookin question.

Danenania
09-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Dude who brushes off your seat at a baseball game?

Starter at the golf course?

Guy who says no to your tip offer. Forget it or give him a hearty "COMMOOOONNN" and conspiratorial shoulder jab?

DasLeben
09-23-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
automatic tipping is for the birds IMO. if i get good service, yes i will tip. crappy service=no tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if the server isn't doing his job, then yeah, don't tip (or leave a very small one). But, for example, if your food is taking forever, it's probably a kitchen hangup and you shouldn't stiff your waiter. I've had a lot of people leave me crappy tips for not getting their food on time, even when it's the kitchen's fault.

[ QUOTE ]
to address the ones that cry "omfg i rely on tips to make a living and if i 'only' get $2 for a $30 bill, i wish i just stayed home..." i have 4 words for you, "learn to [censored] type."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even get what you're saying here.

[ QUOTE ]
on a $27 bill I gave her a $5 tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than the $5 tip I got on a $50 check last night. They loved me too. Assholes.