PDA

View Full Version : First Hand Post

09-20-2005, 03:40 PM
I have started playing Limit Holdem about 3 weeks ago, and I started at .05/.1 and will learn to play well and work my way up. I have about 3000 hands in and want to start using these forums more and learning as much as possible. I really want to dedicate myself to learning before jumping to higher limits. So here we go my first hand post
I just started playing with these players and I do not have any good reads on them yet.
Ultimate Bet 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.
I wasnt even sure I should even call this with no reads

Flop: (10.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.
I figured I had 13 outs before discounting any and with everyone checking I could have best hand at the moment so I bet the turn

River: (10.20 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, UTG folds.
I checked the river cause of the possible flush draw

I am open to all comments that will help me learn and play better poker...how did I play this and how would others play this?

tiltaholic
09-20-2005, 04:10 PM
welcome to the forums.
the hand looks good all the way through.
i might bet the river but i might not since thats a lot of people.

@bsolute_luck
09-20-2005, 04:21 PM
i deleted my previous post because for some reason i thought you had JJ.

so i'll just echo tilt saying this hand was well played.

Eeegah
09-20-2005, 04:38 PM
(grunch)

I don't think I'd play JTo here, even for your reduced price. It sucks against a raise because it's so easily dominated, and it also just average multiway due to the lack of suitedness. On the other hand, you're getting good pot odds, it is connected and the late-position raise means he doesn't necessarily have a monster, so I don't hate it. If you call, I you're looking to flop better than a pair here, which probably isn't going to happen often enough to make it worth it, but others may disagree. I'd be much happier about this call if we were suited.

You flopped middle pair and didn't want to bet out in front of five people, that's cool.

You snag an OESD on the turn, but a lot of your outs are tainted here. Still, along with your pair you have a lot of outs anyway both good and bad, so betting for value is perfectly reasonable, especially with no one seeming to care about their hand.

The river busts your draw, and while I ordinarily wouldn't care much about a backdoor flush draw no one paid to see that heart on the turn so it's just as valid as if a diamond fell. I don't think you're good enough here to bet out, but you're getting good odds to call his bet, especially after you showed weakness by checking (he may not have you on a pair).

I'm lukewarm but open to the preflop, but I like every street afterwards.

tiltaholic
09-20-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(grunch)

I don't think I'd play JTo here, even for your reduced price. It sucks against a raise because it's so easily dominated, and it also just average multiway due to the lack of suitedness. On the other hand, you're getting good pot odds, it is connected and the late-position raise means he doesn't necessarily have a monster, so I don't hate it. If you call, I you're looking to flop better than a pair here, which probably isn't going to happen often enough to make it worth it, but others may disagree. I'd be much happier about this call if we were suited.

You flopped middle pair and didn't want to bet out in front of five people, that's cool.

You snag an OESD on the turn, but a lot of your outs are tainted here. Still, along with your pair you have a lot of outs anyway both good and bad, so betting for value is perfectly reasonable, especially with no one seeming to care about their hand.

The river busts your draw, and while I ordinarily wouldn't care much about a backdoor flush draw no one paid to see that heart on the turn so it's just as valid as if a diamond fell. I don't think you're good enough here to bet out, but you're getting good odds to call his bet, especially after you showed weakness by checking (he may not have you on a pair).

I'm lukewarm but open to the preflop, but I like every street afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

where did that other guy's post go?

anyway. after watching my computer crash i thought about this some more...

i do think the pf call may be marginal. in fact, i think i remember a thread i posted where i did the same thing with 65o and Entity said it wasn't as bad as if i had called with JTo or something like that. i know i'm too loose out of the blinds -- perhaps this hand is better folded here than played, especially without reads on opponents.

but hey, if you never play marginal hands, how can you learn to play marginal hands?

clearly, we are kind of on edge for the whole hand - but thats what happens with "thin edges"...

@bsolute_luck
09-20-2005, 05:08 PM
you are getting 7:1 on your call here. so you need more than 14% equity (i think i'm figuring this right) to play this.

against a player in this position, figuring raising ~13% of hands plus the other 2 players, we have ~25%. looks like we're good to call.

tiltaholic
09-20-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are getting 7:1 on your call here. so you need more than 14% equity (i think i'm figuring this right) to play this.

against a player in this position, figuring raising ~13% of hands plus the other 2 players, we have ~25%. looks like we're good to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do play marginal crap from the blinds... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=micro&amp;Number=3235021)

@bsolute_luck
09-20-2005, 05:20 PM
i hope you come fix your post in a hurry /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

and i don't understand what that references exactly, but i do think this is a different situation. but if you're posting it to agree with me than...GREAT POST /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks for all the posts so far, glad to see that I didnt mess up too bad, I always seem to run into situations where you got marginal hands and not sure what to do with them.