PDA

View Full Version : Coming home from the store with a new audio compact disc.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-20-2005, 03:22 PM
So... when you went to Best Buy today to buy the new Coheed album, did you bust it out right away and play it in the car on the way back home/to work, or do you say [censored] it and dick around with the 293797 wrappers once you get to home/work?

By the way, for those who are waiting until after work tonight to buy it, Best Buy has an exclusive package with a second, 4-track live (at The Avalon in L.A.) disc and it's $9.99 - cheaper than probably anywhere else.

Slow Play Ray
09-20-2005, 03:37 PM
who is this coheed you are always talking about?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-20-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who is this coheed you are always talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
Coheed & Cambria (http://coheedandcambria.com/)

Eurotrash
09-20-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
audio compact disc

[/ QUOTE ]

i love phrasing stuff in the overly-formal sort of way, very funny /images/graemlins/grin.gif

swede123
09-20-2005, 03:56 PM
I always tear open the disk right away and listen as I drive. The "anti-theft devices" are freakin' annoying though, that's for damn sure.

Swede

RunDownHouse
09-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Sorry, I just can't stand this group. They sound too much like a Rush tribute band. As far as CDs in general go, I definitely listen to it on the way home. A few weeks ago I picked up Tool's Undertow. It was the first time in years that I'd bought a CD; having a steady income and not wanting to bother with finding a download network, along with having a giftcard anyways, led me to actually purchase the damn thing. It was actually a pretty good feeling to be opening a CD again, and it brought back some excitement for music.

imported_The Vibesman
09-20-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always tear open the disk right away and listen as I drive. The "anti-theft devices" are freakin' annoying though, that's for damn sure.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I even read the liner notes at stop lights. The Vibesgirl always thought I was so weird. If I buy more than one CD I open them all even tho I can only listen to one.

BTW, I also don't know what a Coheed is, but that's not surprising...they must be current. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

YourFoxyGrandma
09-20-2005, 04:04 PM
I liked Second Stage Turbine Blade, but that's as far as it goes for me. There was too much going on about the "manning of the battlestation" after that, as it were.

EDIT: As far as CDs in general, I don't have a CD player in my car. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SL__72
09-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I always open it right away and put it in.

How is this particular CD so far?

Slow Play Ray
09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Patrick, I just heard a commercial on the radio, Coheed and Cambria are playing a free acoustic set at the Newbury Comics about 10 miles down the rode from me in an hour...get moving!

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-20-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is this particular CD so far?

[/ QUOTE ]
Upon first listen, I rate it as a good album, but a bit behind In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 and The Second Stage Turbine Blade.

JaBlue
09-20-2005, 07:58 PM
This band is hilariously ugly.

And imo everything after second stage turbine blade sucked

Cunning Linguist
09-20-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Upon first listen, I rate it as a good album, but a bit behind In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 and The Second Stage Turbine Blade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please list some of their best tracks for download purposes. Thank you.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-20-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome Home is the first single and is clearly the best track and is the most similar to their previous stuff. Frankly, the album is worth buying almost for this song alone. I believe The Suffering is the second single and has a nice catchy hook. The rest of the song is relatively pedestrian, though.

The album as a whole has a different feel than the previous two albums and I think it needs a couple listens before I can give a fair review.

JaBlue
09-20-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome Home is the first single and is clearly the best track and is the most similar to their previous stuff. Frankly, the album is worth buying almost for this song alone. I believe The Suffering is the second single and has a nice catchy hook. The rest of the song is relatively pedestrian, though.

The album as a whole has a different feel than the previous two albums and I think it needs a couple listens before I can give a fair review.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are only two good tracks on the album, it sucks.
You're too caught up in how much you love Coheed to see the light.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-20-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are only two good tracks on the album, it sucks.
You're too caught up in how much you love Coheed to see the light.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree that if there are only two good songs that the album isn't good. Note that nobody ever said there were only two good songs.

stabn
09-20-2005, 08:27 PM
I always open in the car or as i'm walking out to the car. It doesn't always go in the car cd player though. I don't stop turning on the car / driving etc just to open it. So if there are enough stop lights / traffic etc then it gets played in the car. If not the cd is usually ready by the time i get home.

JaBlue
09-20-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I completely agree that if there are only two good songs that the album isn't good. Note that nobody ever said there were only two good songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I read "The rest of the song is relatively pedestrian, though." as "The rest of the album..."

Cunning Linguist
09-20-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a fan so far. What is some of their good older stuff?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-20-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say just pick up the other two albums - they're both solid all the way through. If you're just looking for more songs, A Favor House Atlantic and Blood Red Summer are the singles from the last album. I was going to start naming other songs from Silent Earth, but then realized I was about to name practically the whole album. My favorite songs from The Second Stage Turbine Blade are Everything Evil, Hearshot Kid Disaster, Time Consumers, and Neverender... and... and....

Brainwalter
09-20-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say just pick up the other two albums - they're both solid all the way through. If you're just looking for more songs, A Favor House Atlantic and Blood Red Summer are the singles from the last album. I was going to start naming other songs from Silent Earth, but then realized I was about to name practically the whole album. My favorite songs from The Second Stage Turbine Blade are Everything Evil, Hearshot Kid Disaster, Time Consumers, and Neverender... and... and....

[/ QUOTE ]

However, the best song from the last album is The Crowing.

09-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Chris Gaines had an exclusive package with Best Buy too.

newhizzle
09-20-2005, 09:23 PM
what the hell is coheed?

edit: i kept reading, nevermind

irishpint
09-20-2005, 09:59 PM
download neverender, time consumer and devil in jersey city.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, the best song from the last album is The Crowing.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is among the better songs. Al The Killer should be mentioned, as well as the title track - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth.

unlucky513
09-21-2005, 12:16 PM
what kind of music is coheed? what band would you compare them to?

my buddy mentioned that the just came out w/ a new cd, i'd never heard of them. might have to check them out.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

my buddy mentioned that the just came out w/ a new cd, i'd never heard of them. might have to check them out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Go to www.coheedandcambria.com (http://www.coheedandcambria.com) - let the first page load all the way and it'll start playing Welcome Home. If you like that, consider buying the new album, but I'd first buy the previous album and maybe the one before that first.

I'd buy in this order:
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002E5OJ6/qid=1127319534/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-1981879-9467057?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)
The Second Stage Turbine Blade (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063NCW/qid=1127319534/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/103-1981879-9467057?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AA302A/qid=1127319534/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-1981879-9467057?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)

Some would say switch the first two and I wouldn't argue.

IndieMatty
09-21-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Go to www.coheedandcambria.com (http://www.coheedandcambria.com) - let the first page load all the way and it'll start playing Welcome Home. If you like that, consider buying the new album, but I'd first buy the previous album and maybe the one before that first.

I'd buy in this order:
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002E5OJ6/qid=1127319534/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-1981879-9467057?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)
The Second Stage Turbine Blade (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063NCW/qid=1127319534/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/103-1981879-9467057?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AA302A/qid=1127319534/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-1981879-9467057?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)

[/ QUOTE ]

Switch the first two!

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Switch the first two!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd buy in this order:

istewart
09-21-2005, 12:49 PM
I liked a few songs from each of the first two albums but if that single is the best song on the new album I have no hope for it being good.

"Time Consumer" is good, though.

Shajen
09-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Kinda like a cross between Rush and Faith No More it seems like.

At least that's who they remind me of.

JunkHead
09-21-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I just can't stand this group. They sound too much like a Rush tribute band.

[/ QUOTE ]

They sound NOTHING like Rush, save the lead singers voice. Actually, they sound like Metallica, except with Geddy Lee sitting in for James. Geddy Lee circa 1978 that is...

JunkHead

GuyOnTilt
09-21-2005, 01:43 PM
My buddy mentioned these guys to me a while back and said I needed to hear them. Upon hearing their name I was super skeptical and haven't. Maybe I should.

GoT

RunDownHouse
09-21-2005, 02:01 PM
I think they sound like Rush too, and saying, "except for the lead singer's voice" is a bit like saying someone sounds nothing like Sinatra, "except for the voice." Its a big part of what makes their sound distinctive.

How come I can tolerate Opeth's vocals, but I have to turn these guys off the second the lead opens his mouth?

JunkHead
09-21-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think they sound like Rush too, and saying, "except for the lead singer's voice" is a bit like saying someone sounds nothing like Sinatra, "except for the voice." Its a big part of what makes their sound distinctive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Sinatra had a myriad different musicians playing behind him throughout his career, so the distinctive feature was his voice. I agree the singers voice is a huge part of a bands sound, but you cannot discount the music, and musically this band sounds nothing like Rush.

JunkHead

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Which songs have you listened to? A Favor House Atlantic and Welcome Home would be my guess. Any others?

RunDownHouse
09-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Welcome Home for sure. Some time ago, before this latest album, I downloaded a handful of songs from a couple albums (the circle of the earth thing was one, definitely sounds familiar) since I was hearing such good things. Just couldn't take it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Fair 'nuff. Do you have opinions on The Mars Volta?

RunDownHouse
09-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Who?

For the most part, I don't like a lot of the recent wave of indy/hardcore/punk/emo-ish bands that have come out. The Shins are OK at best, for example. Stuff like The Killers doesn't appeal to me at all.

Thursday was the only one of the emo-ish/screaming rock bands that I like, and I also like The Postal Service's "Give Up," although I have no idea what the [censored] genre that is.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-21-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who?

For the most part, I don't like a lot of the recent wave of indy/hardcore/punk/emo-ish bands that have come out. The Shins are OK at best, for example. Stuff like The Killers doesn't appeal to me at all.

Thursday was the only one of the emo-ish/screaming rock bands that I like, and I also like The Postal Service's "Give Up," although I have no idea what the [censored] genre that is.

[/ QUOTE ]
These bands are not remotely what either Coheed or TMV sound like. Anyway, I was just curious. Carry on.

NorCalJosh
09-23-2005, 04:34 PM
so yeah... sorry for bumping this thread and all. but i really feel that OOT needs to know that i almost cried like a baby while listening to this album. if coheed and cambria was a woman, i'd marry her. or at least [censored] the [censored] out of her.