PDA

View Full Version : JJ's with 2 overs and a flush draw

09-20-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm just now starting to seriously improve my postflop play, any and all advice on how I played this (correct or incorrect) will be greatly appreciated.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (5.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

gharp
09-20-2005, 04:26 PM
If you're not going to fold the turn, I think you played it fine. I think I'm behind MP2 often enough that I'd probably let it go there.

Were you folding if he reraised?

09-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I would've bet the flop here. You may get one or two folds out of it (maybe even a weak Q) and probably get a free card, plus you get to represent a big hand.

Waiting to show aggression till the board pairs and someone bets into you seems a bit counter-productive. Any hand he would've checked with and then bet that turn with, seems to have you beat pretty good (ace-rag or Qx).

09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm not yet convinced. You'll likely get a fold or two out of betting the flop, but you're very likely to get a call from someone well ahead of you. A free card play is illogical, as the Button is still behind us, and besides, a free card more than likely hurts us since we're drawing to only two outs.

I know what you're saying about having the chance to represent a big hand, but in my experience, against four opponents in 0.50/1, you're getting called down by someone who has you beat most of the time. I don't feel bad about dumping on the flop here: it's close to as bad a board as we could expect.

I like the raise on the turn, as it suggests that you were slowplaying, it will fold weak hands that have you beat (i.e. Qx, maybe even Ax), the MP2 bet is more likely to be a steal than it was on the turn, and you probably get a free showdown out of it.

Again, I like your point about what the bet does for us, but I expect us to get called and lose far too often for it to be profitable.

Rev. Good Will
09-20-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would've bet the flop here. You may get one or two folds out of it (maybe even a weak Q) and probably get a free card, plus you get to represent a big hand.

Waiting to show aggression till the board pairs and someone bets into you seems a bit counter-productive. Any hand he would've checked with and then bet that turn with, seems to have you beat pretty good (ace-rag or Qx).

[/ QUOTE ]

is their any real value in betting JJ here in a loose-passive game? with a field this large, what will our opponnents be calling with?

09-20-2005, 06:43 PM
If he reraises on the turn I think I have to lay that down, correct? Should I have bet the river, my thinking was it was probably a situation where he will only call if I'm beat.

Rev. Good Will
09-20-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he reraises on the turn I think I have to lay that down, correct? Should I have bet the river, my thinking was it was probably a situation where he will only call if I'm beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, easy laydown to a 3bet

Your thought process for the river is correct IMO, no value in bettting there.

09-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Terrible flop, I fold it against many players. No way they will fold.