PDA

View Full Version : $22: ITM post-flop play

Costanza
09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
It's been way too long since I won a tournament -- still looking for possible leaks which are keeping me out of first place. Things had been fairly even before big stack knocked someone out on the previous hand with J9 vs. A9.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t1505)
SB (t4690)
Hero (t1805)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, SB calls t150, Hero calls t100.

Flop: (t600) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, SB calls t800, Hero...

Sabrazack
09-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Im probably getting out here. Looks alot like an overpair, the call might be a (horribly played) flushdraw but could also be some evil slowplaying attempt.

pergesu
09-20-2005, 01:35 PM
I would normally check-raise all-in here. But you bet, and the min raise makes it look more like an overpair to me, and the SB cold-calling that looks pretty suspicious to me. I wouldn't be surprised if SB shows trips to bust Button's overpair.

jeffraider
09-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah things are fishy here, I'd get out.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
09-20-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I wouldn't be surprised if SB shows trips...

[/ QUOTE ]

schwza
09-20-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I wouldn't be surprised if SB shows trips...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd be kinda surprised if he didn't. i'd usually fold pre-flop.

Costanza
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd usually fold pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if someone would mention that. Is T9s good enough to play 3-handed getting 5:1 from the pot?

jeffraider
09-20-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if someone would mention that. Is T9s good enough to play 3-handed getting 5:1 from the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would normally call here because you're closing the action and you've got position against one guy in the hand and if you flop a big draw or something you have a good position to check-raise the preflop raiser. I think folding here would be okay too though, and T9s is probably my minimum hand for calling here.

45suited
09-20-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that he was getting 5:1 and calling was costing him 1 / 17th of his stack (and his hand plays well multi-way) I would absolutely call here PF.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
09-20-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a great point. I always forget about pot odds here (I only seem to remember on drawing boards). Getting 5:1 this is a call.

schwza
09-20-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that he was getting 5:1 and calling was costing him 1 / 17th of his stack (and his hand plays well multi-way) I would absolutely call here PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

his hand plays well multi-way deep, but flopping a draw has only limited value here (i'd rather be heads up so i can get a-i on the flop and win more often). we're also deep enough that i'm really not psyched about getting a-i with TPNK.

finally, folding pre-flop makes it more likely the big stack busts SB.

don't get me wrong - i think calling is ok, but folding a little better.

caretaker1
09-20-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would normally check-raise all-in here. But you bet, and the min raise makes it look more like an overpair to me, and the SB cold-calling that looks pretty suspicious to me. I wouldn't be surprised if SB shows trips to bust Button's overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said on all counts.

pergesu
09-20-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You will never see me fold getting 5-1 when it's such a small portion of my stack. It's just way too good.