PDA

View Full Version : If Hurricane Rita hits Houston/Galveston as a Major 'Cane,

Mempho
09-20-2005, 12:30 PM
we could be screwed, ala the made-for-tv movie "Oil Storm." When I say major, I'm talking about Cat 4+, and right now, that's only a 25% probability. I'd say the overall probability of a direct Cat 4 or 5 hit on Houston/Galveston is just under 10% right now, but that's a pretty high risk of ruin for our nation. I can't remember any time in my life when we had such a high risk or ruin. You guys don't play poker with bankrolls that allow a 10% risk of ruin, do you. Pray for this thing to fizzle out or head north towards NOLA again. I know that's bad to say, but we are much better off this way.

You can view the FSU model run here (just push "+1" repeatedly and it will give you a frame-by-frame showing intesity and location as it tracks across the Gulf)

FSU Superensemble Model (http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/mm5fsutc2.cgi?time=2005092000&field=Sea+Level+Pres sure&hour=Animatio)

09-20-2005, 02:42 PM
Nobody outside Houston understands how large of an economy this is. People North of Dallas think we ride horses, wear cowboy hats, and sh*t in the woods. We have to, there is no running water here. It's also a desert, with tumbleweeds-a-blowin.

The truth of the matter is 5.8 million people live here and it's one of the worlds energy capitals, as well as the largest medical center in the world. It's also the 2nd or 3rd largest port in the nation, in terms of annual tonnage.

housenuts
09-20-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody outside Houston understands how large of an economy this is. People North of Dallas think we ride horses, wear cowboy hats, and sh*t in the woods. We have to, there is no running water here. It's also a desert, with tumbleweeds-a-blowin.

The truth of the matter is 5.8 million people live here and it's one of the worlds energy capitals, as well as the largest medical center in the world. It's also the 2nd or 3rd largest port in the nation, in terms of annual tonnage.

[/ QUOTE ]

so?

that's not that much really

09-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Yes, 6 million people and the potential devastation of the WORLDS LARGEST MEDICAL CENTER AS WELL AS MOST-DENSELY DEVELOPED REFINERY SECTOR WOULD HURT, you fool.

This isn't like Katrina, whence the nation "lost" a bunch of voodoo-doll makers*, black-magicians, and transgendered bed-n-breakfast owners, as well as a crapload of some of the poorest people in the country.

Little different there, buddy.

Man, I warned kids not to drop out of college to play poker. The next decade is really going to suck when society is forced to teach these bums all the stuff they would have learned in secondary school, had they not opted for the "all-in glory", and fallen flat on their wicker-cowboy-hat-wearing head.

*grossly exaggerated generalization

housenuts
09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
chill out dude. it's a quote from the beavis and butthead movie when the park ranger says the geyser shoots out over twelve-thousand gallons of water in a single eruption and beavis says as i did above.

as for dropping out of college, my wicker cowboy hat wearing self is graduating in december.

carry on

09-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Good

SheridanCat
09-20-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, 6 million people and the potential devastation of the WORLDS LARGEST MEDICAL CENTER AS WELL AS MOST-DENSELY DEVELOPED REFINERY SECTOR WOULD HURT, you fool.

This isn't like Katrina, whence the nation "lost" a bunch of voodoo-doll makers*, black-magicians, and transgendered bed-n-breakfast owners, as well as a crapload of some of the poorest people in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Well, if this is the attitude of all you civic minded Houston/Galvestonians, I think we can do without all of you. And your oil. And your bigass hospital.

If, rather, you are in the minority, then we can just do without you.

Regards,

T

09-20-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And your bigass hospital.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I assure you, the medical center constitutes more than a "bigass hospital". lol.

Plus, you're just mad because the Astros are better than the Cubs.

Quicksilvre
09-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Mm. Optimism.

Aceshigh7
09-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Damn right. Astros own the Scrubbies.

Houston is a kick ass place to live. Sucks that this storm is headed our way.

I live in Clear Lake. They are talking mandatory evacuation for this part of town by thursday night.

TaoTe
09-21-2005, 01:10 AM
What is this, the end of the world, gas prices going up, millions dead, a new government, plague and destruction or just something that's overrated because people are scared of the next big one?

tek
09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Something in between.

SomethingClever
09-21-2005, 04:33 PM
"Risk of ruin"?

What's your definition of ruin?

Not having enough gas?

09-21-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

elitists!

Mempho
09-21-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not having enough gas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Which, in a nutshell, would equate specifically to economic ruin for the U.S. It would probably mean some type of economic depression (not recession) for us. Not good.

housenuts
09-21-2005, 11:16 PM
if this hits hard like katrina did, and US is in turmoil it will be the perfect time for a joint strike by iran and north korea

TaoTe
09-22-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if this hits hard like katrina did, and US is in turmoil it will be the perfect time for a joint strike by iran and north korea

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the Nazis, the Martians, and the small alliance of pissed off, sexually frustrated twenty-somethings that I lead.

SomethingClever
09-22-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not having enough gas?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would probably mean some type of economic depression (not recession) for us. Not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, sure. That doesn't equal "ruin" to me, though.

SomethingClever
09-22-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd also be an economic kick in the fcking ass to auto manufacturers to ramp up alternative fuel powered vehicles R&D.

Don't say, "yeah, but hydrogen/electric/pineapple powered cars still cause pollution, just in different ways."

I know. But certainly something can be found that is more efficient, less toxic and totally hoses those moronic oil barons in the middle east.

midas
09-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Us Northerners do care!! We are very concerned that Rick's Cabaret or Goode Company BBQ won't survive this 'Cane.

I'm sending a buses to pick up employees from both of these fine establishments and offering them shelter in my house in NYC.

Stay safe.

TaoTe
09-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Doesn't anyone think this is just a scared populaces reaction to a prior disaster? There are two infinites: the universe, the stupidity of humans, and that I can't count.

megabit
09-22-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And your bigass hospital.

[/ QUOTE ]
Plus, you're just mad because the Astros are better than the Cubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell Cub fans are used to most everyone having a better team... so I doubt that is what is eating him. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

siccjay
09-23-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a douchebag.

09-26-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Us Northerners do care!! We are very concerned that Rick's Cabaret or Goode Company BBQ won't survive this 'Cane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Never been to Ricks, but Goode is the f*ckin for real sh*t. One of my favorite meals is the sliced brisket/jalapeno sausage lunch plate with potato salad and jambalaya rice or whatever the F they call it. It also comes with jalapeno bread and a smile.

This and a soda for about $10.81, hurry in and say hi. My favorite location is off I-10, just West of Voss. Unfortunately I don't live or work near a Goode so I never get to eat it anymore. My heart sends thank you notes constantly.