PDA

View Full Version : Boys in the hood and a 3-bet from a short-stack.

Joe Tall
05-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I'm UTG w/J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and raise.

MP 3-bets (MP has played some strange hands but I know he favors Any-ace, especially suited, maybe Big-slick just as good as A3s to this cat, I've even seen him open raise with ATo)

All fold, I cap it, MP calls.

Flop: 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Not that scary...gut-shot for me, but MP is strange enough to 3-bet w/KJs, I'll bet and find out, he raises, yokies! I switch into call-down mode (I rarely do this but he only has 2 BBs left in his stack (does anyone else take this in to consideration?)).

Turn: 8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif [9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif]

Check, Bet, Call

River: J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif [8 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif] - Bingo! Rivered 2nd nuts.

I bet, MP calls all-in.

What did we have??

marbles
05-08-2003, 09:06 AM
"(MP has played some strange hands but I know he favors Any-ace, especially suited, maybe Big-slick just as good as A3s to this cat, I've even seen him open raise with ATo)"

--I open raise with ATo all the time. Conditions have to be right (good position, tight players to my left, etc.), but it's still a pretty common play for me.

"River: Jh [8c 9h 8h Qd ] - Bingo! Rivered 2nd nuts."
Not to be nit-picky, but you don't hold the 2nd nuts. You're behind:
QhTh
Th7h
8d8s
3 combinations of QQ.

As for the rest of the hand, yeah, I think you played it fine. With a tiny stack, he may well be trying in vain to ram you out of the hand. Since it's heads-up and you're out of position, I think calling down is the default.

Joe Tall
05-08-2003, 09:18 AM
'...2nd nuts' - yeah after I quick reviewed I realized that it wasn't even close to the 2nd nuts...opps.

And I'll clarify his ATo play...he raised it UTG! Do you? Call me a tight wad but I'll muck AJo UTG.

Nottom
05-08-2003, 12:02 PM
If he's a crazy as you say its hard to tell what he has, but AQ seems to work here.

P.S. you had the 5th nut.

Nottom
05-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Raising AT UTG prolly isn't good ... but I still like it better than limping /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Bob T.
05-08-2003, 12:51 PM
It seems that a lot of shortstack players get real aggressive, when they are about to go all-in. I think that you want to either call them down, or raise them to isolate, with just about any values.

I get a little kick out of two situations, First, I like to see those short stack players rebuy, with another short stack. Second, I like to see them flop a monster, and then not make much off because they were all in.

Homer
05-08-2003, 12:54 PM
I would have considered check-calling all the way (including the flop) if I was against an opponent who would push hard with Ax if I checked but might fold on the turn/river if I bet.

-- Homer

Joe Tall
05-08-2003, 01:15 PM
My '4th nut' full house took it down and the hand history revealed our hero had A8o. So, did I get lucky or did he get lucky on the turn?? Unfortunately he left the table, I have his name memorized and will be seeking him out tonight. Hopefully when he sees /forums/images/icons/grin.gif me, he steams thinking of the hand he was dominated on, got lucky, then got rivered!

marbles
05-08-2003, 03:35 PM
And I'll clarify his ATo play...he raised it UTG! Do you? Call me a tight wad but I'll muck AJo UTG."

--Yes, in most games, raising ATo UTG is bunk. I'm with you now.

And I almost get mad everytime I get AJo UTG. I'd almost rather get dealt 82o in that position... At least I'll know how to play it. FWIW, I usually dump AJo in that position, too.