PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 AK, flop top two, get check-minraised

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 10:48 AM
PP 6-max 2/4
Hero has only been here a short while, but has been very active during that time. I've open raised about 7 out of 10 hands, and generally been taking pots down either preflop or on the flop. I've just had a rush of hands.

Nothing in particular on villain.

Hero (450) is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Villain (400) is BB

Preflop
Hero opens for 14, folded to villain who calls, BB folds.

Pot (30)
A/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/heart.gif
check, hero bets 25, villain makes it 50 ... now what ?

EMcWilliams
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I guess that given the background you have a LAGgy image. Villian probably has an Acce, but just an Ace. He see you trying to "steal" the pot as you have shown a tendency to do. Punish him. Re-raise him here to about the size of the pot. Push any non spade turn.

Ghazban
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Call and bet/raise any turn.

Isura
09-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I like repoping to 125-150. He's not folding any legitimate hand (A3,K3, Ax)) and reraising will give him about 2.5:1 if he has a draw. I think you get stacked either way against 33, but he might back away from his other holdings when the turn/river bring scare cards. If we just smooth-call, what hands do you expect him to lead the turn with?

GrunchCan
09-20-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even raise a spade?

Ghazban
09-20-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even raise a spade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I don't think he has spades.

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even raise a spade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I don't think he has spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what does he have ?

MINETZ
09-20-2005, 11:50 AM
aq-aj, random shot at you when an ace flops, a3, k3, most people dont like re opening with spades as you can kill his odds by re raising.

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Hero makes it 150 ... villain pushes ... now what ?

Ghazban
09-20-2005, 11:53 AM
An ace of some sort, maybe a set, but I'll pay off a set with top two if I've been in high gear. If the ace or king were the non-spade, pair+flush draw would be more likely. The only way he has pair+flush draw on this board is with 53s/43s/32s and those seem pretty unlikely hands to have called a raise with. Donkraising (my term for the check/minraising of a PSB) isn't usually a naked draw in my experience and the royal draws probably bet out, checkraise all-in or check/call.

Ghazban
09-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Call, reload if you lose to 33 or a draw. Its not close IMO.

Homer315
09-20-2005, 11:55 AM
call

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 11:58 AM
I like to call and then raise a non-spade turn or call down if the turn is a spade unless I fill up. Against most people, I'm debating folding to a turn push though once I raise. Most people won't make that move against so much strength without 33, although that would be a very tough laydown.

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero makes it 150 ... villain pushes ... now what ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Call. And I have no idea what I was smoking when I said to consider laying down in my previous post on the turn. Forgot stacks were only 400. Obviously just get it all in and suck out or reload if you're against the set. No way I'm folding top two with only 100bb behind, flush draw board, and LAG image. Cheers!

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 03:01 PM
I did indeed call, figuring "there is only 33 that could be ahead of me, so Im paying that off and the rest get to pay me".

I dont often see this sort of play with QJs or QTs or 67s, or such, so I think in hindsight, the fact that the A and K of spades are on the board, make it less likely that Mr. Villain has a flush draw, so I could call and .... get it all in on the turn I guess.

Anyway - the turn was a lovely A/images/graemlins/club.gif and the river was some random J ... and I nearly choked when villain tabled K/images/graemlins/diamond.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Nothing like spiking a two outer in an 800 pot .... now I know how villains feel /images/graemlins/laugh.gif, and villains get to know how I feel /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-20-2005, 03:15 PM
If you put him on having either the K or A here, how come you won't push an spade on turn? If he has the A or K here, and he don't put you on one since he just think you are trying to get another pot, he will be scared of the spade there and letting go of the pot. A turn spade here shouldn't scare you.

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Nice hand. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

bkholdem
09-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Just fold to the mini checkraise. It's always a monster, he must have AA or KK. YOur crushed.

Ghazban
09-20-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just fold to the mini checkraise. It's always a monster, he must have AA or KK. YOur crushed.

[/ QUOTE ]
No

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No

[/ QUOTE ]

Malachii
09-20-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing like spiking a two outer in an 800 pot .... now I know how villains feel , and villains get to know how I feel .

[/ QUOTE ]
That's disgustingly beautiful. Ni han.

BTW, I am a little curious why Ghaz and TWP were saying to get all in here. I have a lot of respect for your play and opinions, but I just don't see any hands that would logically play in this manner that we're ahead of other than QJ suited. Although I do understand what you're saying about paying off if you've been in high gear.

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Could be an ace. Could be aces up. Could be crap flush draw. Could be NFD+gutshot. Could be pair+flush draw. Could be total crap. Could be lost of stuff that we're beating. And if we're behind, we almost always have 4 outs so we have a decent amount of equity even in that case. Of course it could be AA/KK but that is highly unlikely, right? Oops!

ryanghall
09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I don't play a lot of 6 max but with your image, I'd make it about $150 and hope he pushes.

Ryan

bkholdem
09-20-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Bukem_
09-20-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see that you find your comment ridiculous also.

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see that you find your comment ridiculous also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hattifnatt
09-20-2005, 05:09 PM
make it something like 170 on the flop.

phage
09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
could be AA/KK but that is highly unlikely, right? Oops!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you feel that the villain is unlikely to AA/KK because of the preflop call or because the hero is holding AK?

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Both.