PDA

View Full Version : 3/6 99 Battle of blinds Vs Laggy Laggerson

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Villain is Lag ... 45/35. I've played a fair few hands with him and he is fairly aggro, but not totally mad. He is a loose caller though, and will call down with less than star quality hands.

PP 6-max 3/6 4-handed.
I've just sat down, but I did leave this table a few hours earlier, and now I come back and villain has nearly 2k.

Hero (600) is SB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Villain (2000) is BB.

Preflop
folded to hero who makes it 24, villain calls.

Flop (Pot 48)
T/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero bets 40, villain makes it 80, hero calls

Turn (Pot 208)
T/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero bets 150, villain calls

River (Pot 508)
5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero checks, villian bets 175, hero calls

comments on all streets appreciated.

pottie
09-20-2005, 10:16 AM
These are the type of hands I find the most difficult to play. I probably go into check-call mode on the turn here.

09-20-2005, 10:27 AM
There are some players who will minraise TP or an overpair on a safe flop. I would be wary of that move here without a read but otherwise, looks good.

wtfsvi
09-20-2005, 10:30 AM
I think I'd check the turn to let him represent the T.

Ghazban
09-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Did you consider checkraising the flop? I've started doing this from time to time in blind vs. blind situations against aggressive players that might raise me on ragged flops with air under the assumption I'm playing big unpaired cards (inferred from my preflop raise). If he calls a flop checkraise, you can be pretty sure your nines aren't good and it doesn't cost you any more than your flop+turn line did (not to mention the added benefit that he might fold a ten).

From a metagame perspective, this also lets me openraise from the SB and see more free turns as the check doesn't automatically imply I missed.

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Bet the river.

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider checkraising the flop? I've started doing this from time to time in blind vs. blind situations against aggressive players that might raise me on ragged flops with air under the assumption I'm playing big unpaired cards (inferred from my preflop raise). If he calls a flop checkraise, you can be pretty sure your nines aren't good and it doesn't cost you any more than your flop+turn line did (not to mention the added benefit that he might fold a ten).

From a metagame perspective, this also lets me openraise from the SB and see more free turns as the check doesn't automatically imply I missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this player, he might call a check/raise without having me beat ! If I give up after that then thats not good. I dont often checkraise flop and check turn.

If I check/raise and he calls, then do I check turn ?
If so - then what do I do when
A. He bets
B. He checks behind and club falls
??

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

why ?
And how much ?

Ghazban
09-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Well, if he'll call a checkraise with a worse hand but won't necessarily 3bet a better hand, checkraising is bad; it was just a thought. A lot of the more aggressive players I've run into won't call a checkraise without top pair or better or a monster draw.

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if he'll call a checkraise with a worse hand but won't necessarily 3bet a better hand, checkraising is bad; it was just a thought. A lot of the more aggressive players I've run into won't call a checkraise without top pair or better or a monster draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is aggro AND has loose calling standards. Thus if you are aggro at him, he may well call. He also might 3-bet my check raise with a WORSE hand, causing me to lay down the best hand.

However - all that aside, what am I trying to achieve ? Do I just want to end it now ... or do I want to win money off a loose caller/over aggro guy ?

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

why ?
And how much ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Against this guy, I like a bet of 150 and I'm definitely calling a push. There is some merit in checking to induce a bluff from clubs, but I think that by betting you might even induce a bluff push from clubs (thereby getting more value) and you will get more value from 88-66/4x/3x by betting.

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

why ?
And how much ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Against this guy, I like a bet of 150 and I'm definitely calling a push. There is some merit in checking to induce a bluff from clubs, but I think that by betting you might even induce a bluff push from clubs (thereby getting more value) and you will get more value from 88-66/4x/3x by betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet, he should believe I have a T, and not be very prone to calling me out (even though he is over-aggro, hes not a total muppet).
If I check, he might be induced to representing it himself.

Also - I had him squarely on clubs, and nothing else. So I felt that check was better than bet.

I might stick 150 in if I think he has a 88- next time though, it seems to have merit. You really like the river "weak lead", looking to get raised !

fuzzbox
09-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Ok, most of the cat is out of the bag now so ...

Villain can call preflop with lots of hands, he frequently called raises. When he minraised, I felt he had a club draw. Dont ask why - I just did. So I called and led the T on the turn. When he called there I felt almost certain that he was on a club draw, and when the river blanked, I checked and was prepared to call a push. He only bet 175 alas, but I called and villain tabled 9/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif and MHIG.

Interesting situation, and one that occurs frequently. The T on the turn really made me believe (even more than I already did) that villain didnt have a T.

Interestingly, villain didnt do a bad job at a "cheap" bluff on the river. 175 into a 500 pot is quite cheap, and still can represent the T, and makes me fold all my "air" hands.

TheWorstPlayer
09-20-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
makes me fold all my "air" hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Go with your read and call with a good ace high! And yes, I like the weak lead looking to get raised because LAGs love to push all in. So I let them. How many times have you had a marginal hand and made a blocking bet against a LAG only to have him push it in? Maybe it only happens to me, but it happens to me all the time. So when I think there's a good chance I'm ahead, I try to induce it. The key is just to realise that LAGs love to bet, not to call. So asking him to make a big call in your previous hand was not a great idea. Much better to try to entice him to bet. Here, too, either a check or a weak bet is good line. Just depends which one you think will make him more likely to bluff. I see a lot of guys who love to bluff raise small bets...

Ghazban
09-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Had you seen him minraise a draw before? Had you seen him minraise anything else?