PDA

View Full Version : Come again?

The Truth
09-20-2005, 04:39 AM
Party 10-20 NL 10 handed

Villain is fairly unknown. Hasn't entered a pot yet, and I have no stats. Only about an orbit and a half together at this point though.

We both have around 2k on the table.

anyway,

I have AhJh, 4 folds to me, I raise it to 60.
Button Calls.
Villain calls in BB.

Flop comes Jd 2s 6h rainbow.

Villain checks, I bet 200, button folds, villain calls.

Turn brings 4s

He checks, I bet 500, He raises it to 1200, I?

Spladle Master
09-20-2005, 04:44 AM
Fold, but I'm curious to know why the hell you bet the turn.

JihadOnTheRiver
09-20-2005, 04:49 AM
He has a set. But please check the turn next time. I'll give you five bucks....

whitelime
09-20-2005, 04:50 AM
I don't think you should pot the flop. There are no draws out there. I think a 2/3 pot bet is more effective in that it will be called by more hands you beat, and you lose less against hands you don't beat. Same logic on the turn. With a completely drawless board like that, I think I check behind on the turn quite often. If he checks a blank river, I'd pot it if he's a thinking player, 1/2-2/3 pot it, if he's a momo. If he bets the river, I will usually call.

Alexthegreat
09-20-2005, 04:58 AM
Nothing wrong with betting the turn, especially against opponents who you think will call with worse hands, but if you have to ask what to do if/when you are checkraised, than you shouldn't be betting it....

The Truth
09-20-2005, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the responses. I mucked and he showed KJ of spades.

I felt the turn bet was best here. I figured he either had a set or a weaker jack (note that the weaker jack is quite a bit more likely). I figured I could drain value from a weaker jack, and muck to any set.

What merit does the turn bet have with this reasoning?

It just happened so maybe it was a tilt post /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Spladle Master
09-20-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I felt the turn bet was best here. I figured he either had a set or a weaker jack (note that the weaker jack is quite a bit more likely). I figured I could drain value from a weaker jack, and muck to any set.

What merit does the turn bet have with this reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

The bet is bad, period. You are not going to drain value from a weaker jack after firing pot bets on the flop and turn. You're going to either get him to fold his weak jack or check-raise you off yours. No good player flat-calls this turn bet. Only way I'm potting this turn is if I'm calling a check-raise all-in and I'm usually not doing that against an unknown.

Bovine_U
09-20-2005, 10:56 AM
What is your plan for the river bet from the BB if you check behind on the turn?

Spladle Master
09-22-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is your plan for the river bet from the BB if you check behind on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what I think he has. But my default is to call.