PDA

View Full Version : Ok i have to ask.. what the heck is a donk bet?

09-20-2005, 04:38 AM
the term is thrown around here...
Try as i may, i just cant figure it out.

"donk bet the turn"

Wha?

you crazy kids with your shuckin n' jivin'

[hyp]

thesharpie
09-20-2005, 04:53 AM
You know.. Gaybet.

SCfuji
09-20-2005, 04:56 AM
lets say you raised preflop utg and only the bb called.

right now you have the "lead" in the hand because you are the aggressor.

flop comes x, y, z and the bb, acting first, bets.

he now says he has the best hand and challenges your "lead". this is called a "donk-bet" or as sharpie likes to say, "gay-bet".

this can happen on any street in which you were the aggressor and an opponent bets into you.

09-20-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You know.. Gaybet.

[/ QUOTE ]

bets have sexual orientaiton?

I still dont get it.....

could you put it into context? post a hand with a "donk bet"
is donk a term for a bad player?

[hyp]

09-20-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lets say you raised preflop utg and only the bb called.

right now you have the "lead" in the hand because you are the aggressor.

flop comes x, y, z and the bb, acting first, bets.

he now says he has the best hand and challenges your "lead". this is called a "donk-bet" or as sharpie likes to say, "gay-bet".

this can happen on any street in which you were the aggressor and an opponent bets into you.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, then its not a bad thing then...
i can think of plenty of situations where i like to donk bet lol

[hyp]

thesharpie
09-20-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bets have sexual orientaiton?

[/ QUOTE ]

The gay in gaybet can mean a few things, but it has nothing to do with sexual orientalation.

Another example is a donk leading a paired turn (or any for that matter) into you after check calling your flop bet.

09-20-2005, 05:16 AM
So its a steal manuver?

[hyp]

Eeegah
09-20-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So its a steal manuver?

[hyp]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bet out of nowhere that doesn't fit the pattern of the board. The the flop is A/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and the villain calls your bet only to bet out a 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif turn, that's a donkbet since it doesn't complete any draws, leaving you wondering if he made 2 pair, a set, slowplayed something, is betting a gutshot with 56, misclicked or was ordered to bet by the CIA as part of the JFK assasination coverup. At least that's how I interperet it.

ThaHero
09-20-2005, 05:36 AM
So what's the difference between a donk bet and a Stop n Go?

Eeegah
09-20-2005, 05:40 AM
A stop-and-go implies aggression on a street, calling a raise, then betting out again on the turn. Again from what I interperet donkbets generally imply passive play before the sudden bet out. Provided the card they're betting out on is neither a prime number nor red, of course.

09-20-2005, 07:26 AM
this thread is spectacular, sticky?

Nilbud
09-20-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A stop-and-go implies aggression on a street, calling a raise, then betting out again on the turn. Again from what I interperet donkbets generally imply passive play before the sudden bet out. Provided the card they're betting out on is neither a prime number nor red, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack this thread, but when is a stop-and-go a good idea? Should it only be used when you improve when the next card falls, or is there some other line it might be used in?

MATT111
09-20-2005, 08:03 AM
It makes sense when you have a hand like top pair on the flop and you are raised by a hand that seems to be a draw. You can now bet the turn when a blank hits to
1) avoid giving a free card
2) find out where you stand.

McGahee
09-20-2005, 08:57 AM
It's supposed to be the term for an "out of nowhere" bet when no previous aggression was shown.
Lately though, it's a term used anytime anybody bets into you with a marginal hand.

zuluking
09-20-2005, 11:23 AM
I love it when a PP fish donk bets me. Here's how I handle it at times.

Example: You're playing 6-max and get A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the button. Its folded to you and you raise, the 60/0+ fish in the BB calls to "protect his blind".

The flop is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Fish in the BB bets into you, essentially donk-betting. Alot of players raise here, but on an un-coordinated board like this, I would just call and pop him on the turn.

Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

He bets out, and you pop him one. He calls and auto-checks on the river when the J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits the board. You bet and he calls showing 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

tiltaholic
09-20-2005, 11:52 AM
coining donkbet (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2162447&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

more recently (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2450789&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

09-20-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what's the difference between a donk bet and a Stop n Go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad someone asked this, because I'd been thinking about it myself. As someone else pointed out, the theoretical difference between a donkbet and a stop n go is that you would use a stop n go to counter a seeming free card raise, or less often, when you improve (in that case, why not check-raise?).

But the real-world difference between a donkbet and a stop n go seems to be that a stop n go is something that a 2+2er does, whereas a donkbet is something that is done to a 2+2er.

09-20-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This kid's clever, and I'd glady lol at his posts, but his little picture of the Jaws guy makes me too scared to laugh.

Eeegah
09-20-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But the real-world difference between a donkbet and a stop n go seems to be that a stop n go is something that a 2+2er does, whereas a donkbet is something that is done to a 2+2er.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, there is a difference here.

Now, what's the difference between a fish "drawing out on us with his [censored] runner-runner flush" and us "catching our backdoor flush draw?" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

milesdyson
09-20-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, there is a difference here.

Now, what's the difference between a fish "drawing out on us with his [censored] runner-runner flush" and us "catching our backdoor flush draw?" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
difference:

fish coldcalls two on A/images/graemlins/heart.gifJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif flop with K/images/graemlins/club.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif after i raise the flop with AJ.

a 2+2er check calls a UTG bet from the BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/spade.gif on a T/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif flop in a 12 sb pot.

09-20-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So its a steal manuver?

[hyp]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bet out of nowhere that doesn't fit the pattern of the board. The the flop is A/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and the villain calls your bet only to bet out a 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif turn, that's a donkbet since it doesn't complete any draws, leaving you wondering if he made 2 pair, a set, slowplayed something, is betting a gutshot with 56, misclicked or was ordered to bet by the CIA as part of the JFK assasination coverup. At least that's how I interperet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aah! I've got hand I need to dig out that fits this one nicely. So while I'm in the newbie thread, and as my title is still such, can someone give me "FYP"? Didn't see it in the FAQs, and please forgive; this is hard to find on a search as it's a thoroughly-used one.

milesdyson
09-20-2005, 08:04 PM
fixed your post.

09-20-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fixed your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

And thank you, sir!

09-22-2005, 01:33 AM
I thought FYP ment "F--- you pal"!

[hyp]