PDA

View Full Version : Stupid dog question

DougShrapnel
09-20-2005, 03:54 AM
Is a dog life worth giving up for the life of a stupid person. Stupid person in question knows that M Jackson has been accused of molesting children, but doesn't know who is vice president of the US. The dog in question is a useful dog. Maybe a seeing eye dog or a search-and-rescue dog.

Basicaly do stupid people have any worth?

09-20-2005, 04:04 AM
The problem with problems like these in where do you draw the line? What do you have to know in order not to be stupid and therefore worth more than a dog? The dog is valuable because the dog has been trained, whereas clearly the stupid person is lacking education. Would the person be worht more if the same amount had been spent on their education?

My belief (which I try not to impose on others) is that if you value your own life above a dog's then you should value another human life above a dog's. However, some people believe that all living things are equal in which case, their life is equal to a dog's life or a stupid person's life.

09-20-2005, 04:34 AM
IMO people's worth comes from their personality and unique identity, not their intelligence. Intelligence is just a capacity to understand things. It doesn't define you as a person.

And unless you're a drooling vegetable with no chance of any brain activity, a person is always worth more than a dog.

Hamish McBagpipe
09-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Hmmmmm....I'd have to mull that one over some more. But, for the sake of argument, let's say the dog is a super-Lassie type who will save several lives in the future. As well, the stupid person doesn't know who the vice-President is, because there is in fact a debate in Congress over who should be the next vice-President because said stupid person, in fact, killed the original vice-President in a violent dispute over a parking spot.

As well, suppose the dog has an IQ tested higher than the stupid person. Around 90, say, in a modified test involving more pawing and sniffing than usual.

Lastly, the dog has rabies with a sad case of fleas and the stupid person possesses a rare blood type which, funnily enough, is needed by a small group of mentally-challenged evil circus employees to survive.

Are stupid people worth anything? I know the answer but I'm waiting for the next well-grounded dog post, similiar to this, to answer.

DougShrapnel
09-20-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thought exercise with problems like these in where do you draw the line?

[/ QUOTE ] I think you'd have to put it on a sliding scale maybe the top15% of the population is actually useful. Or if you must have a question. I'll go with "Does the person have some serious doubts about this whole god business?"

[ QUOTE ]
Would the person be worht more if the same amount had been spent on their education?

[/ QUOTE ] Most likely.

[ QUOTE ]
My belief (which I try not to impose on others) is that if you value your own life above a dog's then you should value another human life above a dog's. However, some people believe that all living things are equal in which case, their life is equal to a dog's life or a stupid person's life

[/ QUOTE ] This is a well thought out arguement however when you rephrase the origianl question to simplify it, you get.............

If you can kill two birds with one stone do you?

DougShrapnel
09-20-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO people's worth comes from their personality and unique identity, not their intelligence. Intelligence is just a capacity to understand things. It doesn't define you as a person.

[/ QUOTE ] Lets say personality and unique identity are indicators of high intelligence.

09-20-2005, 12:46 PM
The question is stupid because you shouldn't kill either the stupid person or the useful dog, so it doesn't matter which YOU value the most. There obviously will be no objective answer to "worth" as value by its very nature can only really be subjective (value to whom).

DougShrapnel
09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, the dog has rabies with a sad case of fleas and the stupid person possesses a rare blood type which, funnily enough, is needed by a small group of mentally-challenged evil circus employees to survive.

[/ QUOTE ] This sentence is just awesome!

[ QUOTE ]
Are stupid people worth anything? I know the answer but I'm waiting for the next well-grounded dog post, similiar to this, to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
This question is the definition of win-win, so there will not be a next well-grounded dog post.