PDA

View Full Version : Standing/Dancing at concerts??

renodoc
09-20-2005, 03:11 AM
This just happened to me at the Santana show. Some of the tunes were rockin and people were dancing, but much of it was mellow. This didn't stop the 48 year old big butt hippie from blocking my view of the stage...

lucas9000
09-20-2005, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
She is the only one standing in the entire section.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the key piece of information.

razor
09-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Some goofball a few rows ahead of me was doing this at a Radiohead show a few years back, apparently oblivious to the requests and comments of those around him. So I leaned over and pulled him back into his seat. He stayed there for the remainder of the show.

Note: I'm 6'4", and I was with a couple friends who are 6'4" and 6'7"... use this approach at your own risk.

touchfaith
09-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Holy crap, she was having fun at a concert!?!?!?!!

The nerve.

imported_The Vibesman
09-20-2005, 10:26 AM
I remember when you could go to a concert and actually stand up and move around without a bunch of p*ssy yuppies who seem to think they're at a dinner theater getting in your face. People had a good time and didn't look like an oil painting. Those were the days.

You guys tell people to quiet down, too?

pokerdirty
09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This just happened to me at the Santana show. Some of the tunes were rockin and people were dancing, but much of it was mellow. This didn't stop the 48 year old big butt hippie from blocking my view of the stage...

[/ QUOTE ]

It truly depends on where you live. If it's the midwest, then politely ask them to sit. If it's New York, throw a beer at them. If it's LA, just leave early.

now where was the concert?

steelcmg
09-20-2005, 10:42 AM
This is why i refuse to goto a show unless i get pit tix because then everyone is standing. Concerts suck in the seats u cant see sh it might as well stayed home.

renodoc
09-20-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, she was having fun at a concert!?!?!?!!

The nerve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been the target of the thrown bottle many times before.

Usually the amount of substance ingested correlates with the stage-blocker's determination to get the entire section on their feet.

tek
09-20-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember when you could go to a concert and actually stand up and move around without a bunch of p*ssy yuppies who seem to think they're at a dinner theater getting in your face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to movie theaters where people of certain persuasions in the audience talked to the characters in the movie. I suppose you would have no objection to that?

I do.

touchfaith
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember when you could go to a concert and actually stand up and move around without a bunch of p*ssy yuppies who seem to think they're at a dinner theater getting in your face.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to movie thetaers where people of certain persuasions in the audience talked to the characters in the movie. I suppose you would have no objection to that?

I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you didn't just compare a Santana concert to a movie.

Sad.

imported_The Vibesman
09-20-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to movie thetaers where people of certain persuasions in the audience talked to the characters in the movie. I suppose you would have no objection to that?

I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you didn't just compare a Santana concert to a movie.

Sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Movies and concerts are two different things.

I had some overgrown 8-year-old and his wife try to start a fight with me and my girlfriend for standing and dancing at a BB King concert. Not that it makes a difference, but if I sat at this show I would only be able to see the band from the chest up.
Anyway, since I didn't go to the show to beat up retarded people and get arrested for it, I had security come over and talk the guy back into his seat.
Like I said, it's not a dinner theater. Not everyone enjoys sitting in their seats with a contemplative look on their face, giving a polite golf clap when appropriate. Some shows are different. I used to play as a duo with another singer/guitarist, and people sat and watched us politely. That was fine. Then we started an R+B band, and if people were sitting and watching us politely that was a problem.

I always thought of Santana as rock and roll music, not the singer/songwriter/folk/Dylan kind of thing I would expect the stationary crowd for. I don't know this "Radiohead." I'm sure once upon a time at Santana shows, there was nothing but dancing hippies as far as the eye can see.

razor
09-20-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, since I didn't go to the show to beat up retarded people and get arrested for it, I had security come over and talk the guy back into his seat.
Like I said, it's not a dinner theater. Not everyone enjoys sitting in their seats with a contemplative look on their face, giving a polite golf clap when appropriate. Some shows are different. I used to play as a duo with another singer/guitarist, and people sat and watched us politely. That was fine. Then we started an R+B band, and if people were sitting and watching us politely that was a problem.

I always thought of Santana as rock and roll music, not the singer/songwriter/folk/Dylan kind of thing I would expect the stationary crowd for. I don't know this "Radiohead." I'm sure once upon a time at Santana shows, there was nothing but dancing hippies as far as the eye can see.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP made it clear there was ONE person standing in the section. My situation was also ONE person standing in the section. ONE person not 5 or 10 or 30 or half or most of the the section... ONE.

You can argue all you want how people should be acting at a concert... it doesn't matter. If EVERYONE else is sitting than show some courtesy and sit down as well.

Personally, I don't care wether I'm sitting or standing, but if people around me are sitting I'm not going to interfere with their experience.

touchfaith
09-20-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP made it clear there was ONE person standing in the section. My situation was also ONE person standing in the section. ONE person not 5 or 10 or 30 or half or most of the the section... ONE.

You can argue all you want how people should be acting at a concert... it doesn't matter. If EVERYONE else is sitting than show some courtesy and sit down as well.

Personally, I don't care wether I'm sitting or standing, but if people around me are sitting I'm not going to interfere with their experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sadest part is...I think you're serious.

Let me guess, you would also go to a home game of your favorite sports team, and if you happen to be sitting next to some vistor team fans...you would root for the visitors

Because...you know...you wouldn't want to interfere with their experience right?

How lame.

cbfair
09-20-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I call BS on the whole "one person standing" premise. This is Carlos Santana, A rock and roll legend known for his upbeat guitar and latin rythms. Unless the concert was held in a morgue, I think the OP simnply employed some hyperbole to make his point. That point being that people who look different than him should act more like him; sorry, dude - ain't gonna do it.

When I spend good money to go to a show, I'm going to have fun and act as I see fit, within the bounds of common decency. I won't disrespect others around me simply for the sake of being an ass but I also won't automatically conform to their ideas of what's the proper way to enjoy the show. Remember, this is a cultural experience and part of what makes it an experience, rather than simply a display is that the audience can participate. If you want to sit quitely and enjoy a Santana show, you can probably rent one on DVD, if you choose to join a live audience of several thousand, you can expect that some of your fellow audience members will excercise their right to participate in their own way.

Also, believe it or not, some performers appreciate it when audience members get involved in the show. Several years back, I was at a Peter Frampton concert at a smallish venue (Murat Theatre in Indianapolis). Three friends and I were in the box directly over stage left. We were dancing and having a great time while most of the (middle aged) audience on the floor was simply sitting there as if they were at the symphony. Several songs into the show, Frampton took a moment to let the audience know that it is really OK to get up and live a little. He singled us out and said something like "see them, their really getting their money's worth". He went on to play an awesome show and at the end of his encore looked straight up at us and tossed his pick to my buddy.

imported_The Vibesman
09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I call BS on the whole "one person standing" premise. This is Carlos Santana, A rock and roll legend known for his upbeat guitar and latin rythms. Unless the concert was held in a morgue, I think the OP simnply employed some hyperbole to make his point. That point being that people who look different than him should act more like him; sorry, dude - ain't gonna do it.

When I spend good money to go to a show, I'm going to have fun and act as I see fit, within the bounds of common decency. I won't disrespect others around me simply for the sake of being an ass but I also won't automatically conform to their ideas of what's the proper way to enjoy the show. Remember, this is a cultural experience and part of what makes it an experience, rather than simply a display is that the audience can participate. If you want to sit quitely and enjoy a Santana show, you can probably rent one on DVD, if you choose to join a live audience of several thousand, you can expect that some of your fellow audience members will excercise their right to participate in their own way.

Also, believe it or not, some performers appreciate it when audience members get involved in the show. Several years back, I was at a Peter Frampton concert at a smallish venue (Murat Theatre in Indianapolis). Three friends and I were in the box directly over stage left. We were dancing and having a great time while most of the (middle aged) audience on the floor was simply sitting there as if they were at the symphony. Several songs into the show, Frampton took a moment to let the audience know that it is really OK to get up and live a little. He singled us out and said something like "see them, their really getting their money's worth". He went on to play an awesome show and at the end of his encore looked straight up at us and tossed his pick to my buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I had a long reply typed up that made some of these points, then lost it, then decided I didn't care enough to continue. One point I wanted to make tho, was, if it's just ONE person standing, how many people can they be blocking? Pretty much just one, right? So you decide who's more important? Or no, it's not that, you demand conformity. After all, that's what rock and roll is about, right? Conformity, sitting politely, nodding your head, maybe wondering which rerun of the Golden Girls is on tonight?

razor
09-20-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Let me guess, you would also go to a home game of your favorite sports team, and if you happen to be sitting next to some vistor team fans...you would root for the visitors

Because...you know...you wouldn't want to interfere with their experience right?

How lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't very good at making distinctions or making logically coherant agruments are you?

renodoc
09-20-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you. I had a long reply typed up that made some of these points, then lost it, then decided I didn't care enough to continue. One point I wanted to make tho, was, if it's just ONE person standing, how many people can they be blocking? Pretty much just one, right? So you decide who's more important? Or no, it's not that, you demand conformity. After all, that's what rock and roll is about, right? Conformity, sitting politely, nodding your head, maybe wondering which rerun of the Golden Girls is on tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

This cracks me up. I have an extensive concert resume-- I saw 77 Dead shows and even one time saw Jerry at the Wiltern where they had put "Please no dancing" flyers on the seats. I've had Bill Graham waive a flashlight in my face telling me not to dance on the chairs. And Roger Daltry announce to the crowd: "Seats were made for standing on!!" Brag over.

Poor Carlos wasn't that rockin. It was solid, but he had many beautiful guitar interludes that demanded more contemplation than twirling. Fat ass overgrown hippie girl didnt understand the difference.

razor
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One point I wanted to make tho, was, if it's just ONE person standing, how many people can they be blocking? Pretty much just one, right? So you decide who's more important? Or no, it's not that, you demand conformity. After all, that's what rock and roll is about, right? Conformity, sitting politely, nodding your head, maybe wondering which rerun of the Golden Girls is on tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

you aren't serious are you? Only blocking ONE person?! Even in the best of circumstances this wouldn't be true. In the situation involving the Radiohead concert we were at the back of the arena, top level within about 10 rows of the last row of seats... one person standing interferes with 2-3 people directly behind him, blocking pretty much the entire stage... he was also blocking a few people two rows behind him.

There are all sorts of scenerios by which my opinion on this changes, we are talking a very specific situation here.

touchfaith
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't very good at making distinctions or making logically coherant agruments are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you are simply ignorant. Either way...[censored] you.

cbfair
09-20-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fat ass overgrown hippie girl didnt understand the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could I argue with such impeccable logic? Especially coming from someone with such an impressive concert resume. 77 dead shows taught you alot about compassion and brotherly love, huh?

I guess the fat ass overgrown hippy girl simply didn't know what to do with herself in those moments of quiet introspection. She's probably too stupid to share your understanding of such subtle insights. Perhaps stewing in the juices of her own fried brain for those moments became too painful to bear and she took the words of the Grateful Dead to heart, "If you get confused just listen to the music play".

renodoc
09-20-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How could I argue with such impeccable logic? Especially coming from someone with such an impressive concert resume. 77 dead shows taught you alot about compassion and brotherly love, huh?

I guess the fat ass overgrown hippy girl simply didn't know what to do with herself in those moments of quiet introspection. She's probably too stupid to share your understanding of such subtle insights. Perhaps stewing in the juices of her own fried brain for those moments became too painful to bear and she took the words of the Grateful Dead to heart, "If you get confused just listen to the music play".

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with compassion?

I'll add some more hyperbole (although not as much as claiming to be "atop Hubbert's curve"). Seats in front of me were empty. Assigned seating. Hippie chick sits down, almost spills her rum and coke or whatever and then sparks one up. No regard to the 6 year old sitting two seats next to me, or my business partner's kids two seats to my right. If I had brought my kid I would have told her to smoke her dope elsewhere.

Just because she's groovin to the music doesn't mean she is the only person in the place and can't disregard the people around her.

imported_The Vibesman
09-20-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hippie chick sits down, almost spills her rum and coke or whatever and then sparks one up. No regard to the 6 year old sitting two seats next to me, or my business partner's kids two seats to my right. If I had brought my kid I would have told her to smoke her dope elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight: You were so upset by her dancing at a concert that you had to start this thread, call her names and even suggest throwing things at her, but her illicit drug use in front of an acquaintance's children is just an aside to this, a minor annoyance not even worth mentioning to her? Yeah, I'd say you're being totally reasonable.

BTW, I've got nothing against grass, but I do agree it shouldn't be smoked around children. Of course, rock concerts aren't always the best place for kids.

renodoc
09-20-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight: You were so upset by her dancing at a concert that you had to start this thread, call her names and even suggest throwing things at her, but her illicit drug use in front of an acquaintance's children is just an aside to this, a minor annoyance not even worth mentioning to her? Yeah, I'd say you're being totally reasonable.

BTW, I've got nothing against grass, but I do agree it shouldn't be smoked around children. Of course, rock concerts aren't always the best place for kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not upset, just curious. Actually the concessioner who sold me a bottled water without the cap implied that it could be thrown at someone.

I could care less if someone is getting high at the show (in fact I miss the days when they would share with strangers) I bring up the kids because it shows her complete obliviousness to the scence around her.

Are you saying kids shouldn't be taken to concerts?

imported_The Vibesman
09-20-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying kids shouldn't be taken to concerts?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm saying that concerts aren't always the best place for them. Whether they "should" be brought probably depends on the show, the parents' ability to watch them properly, the kid's age, and things like that. I don't have kids, so I don't really think about things like that, but if I was at a show, I would feel a little weird about toking up with kids around.

Sometimes the language at a rock concert is what may be called obscene, and there's often public nudity, although to be perfectly honest, I have no problem with obscene language or nudity, and I like to think that if I had kids, they wouldn't have to have a problem with those things either.

However, there is also large amounts of public drunkenness, not a good thing, which leads to fights, also not a good thing. There is often drug use at concerts, sometimes public use of substances heavier than weed.

As I said, I guess it all depends on the show. But I also guess a responsible parent could handle things as they see fit.