PDA

View Full Version : $1.6 million for 9-11 victims

01-25-2002, 02:01 PM
I heard a lawyer on the radio yesterday complaining about the $1.6 million the relatives of the 9-11 victims are getting. His wife was one of the victims and, of course, my heart goes out to him for his loss.

But I had a hard time not feeling disgusted at what he was saying.

First, he said the $1.6 million figure is not an "average," but rather the median figure, meaning half of the people are getting over that amount and half below. He claimed many aren't getting nearly that much.

Second, he said the $1.6 million is a misleading figure; the correct figure to think about is $40,000 per victim. He came up with this figure this way: $1.6 million invested in tax free municipals yields 5%, or $80,000 a year. Adjusted over the recipient's lifespan for inlfation reduces the value to $40,000 a year.

Third, he said that the settlement being offered by the government was inadequate because had the victims been allowed to sue American and United Airlines, they probably would have gotten between $2 and $5 million apiece. When questioned about whether or not this would have put the airlines out of business, he wasn't concerned, saying the airlinees that would replace these bankrupt airlines would take the examples of American and United to heart and not be derelict in their duties as American and United were about their security precautions.

What am I missing here?

Point 1) Assuming he's right and some people ar getting "only" half the $1.6 million, shouldn't someone getting $800,000 tax free from the government say "thank you" and not be bitching and moaning that it's not enough?

Point 2) $1.6 million tax free is like getting $3.2 million. $3.2 million invested in 5% earning munis makes $160,000 tax free. The inflation rate is not 75%. The $40,000 figure is bull.

Point 3) Does anyone else see anything wrong with giving a bigger settlement to the families of big wage earners than to families of lower earners? So a stock broker was making $1,000,000 a year and a janitor was making $20,000. Shouldn't the family of the stock broker have more money put away and be better able to cope with the loss of the wage earner? Why is one life worth more than another? I realize loss of earnings is commonly used in such settlements, but it sure rubs me the wrong way.

In essence, he was saying my wife was murdered and I'm not getting enough money in compensation. Very offputting.

01-25-2002, 02:47 PM
I'm not defending this guy because 1) he is a lawyer and lawyers are jerks and 2) he is totally wrong on saying the settlement is worth 40K 3) I think an airline would stand a chance to zero the plaintiffs in that hypothetical lawsuit, particularly if the plaintiffs' attorney acted like that guy. On the other hand, anytime you are awarding money for a death where the legal system is concerned, the primary factor is economic loss. In fact, in many states there is a limit on what you can get for emotional damage or pain and suffering. So in the legal system your life often isn't worth very much unless you make a lot of money. It may be off-putting, but our system does put a price, often a low price, on human life.

01-25-2002, 03:37 PM
Andy,

Good post. The events of September 11 were a largely unanticipated act of war. I suppose the settlement was necessary to avoid crippling lawsuits against the airlines (who are only partially complacent in lax airport security), but what precedent does this set for the future?

We already seem to be thinking that September 11 was a “one shot” event. I don’t think so. For example, if a small terrorist nuke is set off near the Navel academy in the beautiful town of Annapolis, who gets sued and for how much? Who got sued in World War 2 when we made mistakes?

Regards,

Rick

01-25-2002, 05:37 PM
hdpm ain't no jerk, so he must not be on the bar...gl

01-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know what, if anything, the victims' families got in the Oklahoma City bombing? Can people sue the Federal Governemnt for "lax security"?

01-25-2002, 06:26 PM
"anytime you are awarding money for a death where the legal system is concerned, the primary factor is economic loss"

I remember filling out a life insurance policy and the company asked you to declare your net worth. I refused. My brother-in-law (my insurance agent) pleaded with me to fill it in, but I didn't understand why it was relevant. They asked me about my income, which I thought was relevant: they're entitled to know whether or not I could afford the premiums. According to my brother-in-law they wouldn't allow a person to buy insurance which was worth more than one's net worth.

Why not? Why shouldn't a person be allowed to buy as much insurance as he wants irrespective of his net worth? (Providing, of course, he can pay the premiums.)

01-25-2002, 11:51 PM
1. Agreed. These people suffered a great tragedy...they did not win the lottery. They are not "entitled" to anything. People are giving to them (as they should) because it is moral to help people in times of need.

2. Agreed. $1.6 million tax free given within one year is plenty to live off of... It is so obvious why this 40K figure is wrong I won't go into it. Unfortunately, most people have no concept of economics or math, so the lawyers should have a pretty easy time convincing them of this 40K figure.

3. See new thread above...my answer for this one was too long :-)..

01-26-2002, 03:57 AM
Andy,

I think the basic reason you can't easily over insure is that you become worth more dead then alive and thus more likely to become dead (due to murder or suicide).

Regards,

Rick

01-27-2002, 01:55 AM
I don't know the exact amount but it was sizeably less than the 9-11 folks families. I heard a family member of an OK city victim on the radio and they were saying lots of things like "I don't want to talk about a hierarchy of victimhood but..."

Greed is very difficult to hide.

KJS